Windows 8 Windows 8 OEM on logical partition

SirVer

I'm getting a new Lenovo G510 (or possibly Z500) in a few days, and was trying to decide how to manage the operating systems I'm going to install. What I would like to do is:

• Primary Partition - Ubuntu or Mint (Most Frequently Used)
  • Primary Partition - Storage
  • Extended Partition
    • 2 logical partitions with Win7 and Win8
I have a few questions as to how I should bring this about. I was going to delete all the partitions, use Gparted to create this partition layout, install Win7 on a logical drive, then Win8 on the other logical, and then Linux. But after reading around, I've noticed people complaining about not being able to get an ISO, even with the utility because it doesn't accept OEM keys. Is there a legal way to obtain this ISO over the internet without paying anything extra? And once this ISO is obtained, is it possible to install it and get it to use the key in the BIOS? If so, will it be able to access the key if it is installed on a logical partition? Should be able to, right?
Now, given that I can get past all these problems, will the recovery partition that's made by Win7 have to be primary, or is logical enough? And does Win8 use the same partition, or delete it, or delete it and make a new one?

I realize that there are enough questions here to warrant several threads, but I would appreciate an answer to at least the ones in the first paragraph as fast as possible. I'll only have a few days with a fast internet connection to download everything I need.

Thanks in advance.

In case you didn’t know or had forgotten, I would like to remind you that Windows can only be installed on a logical drive if the boot files are located on a primary partition.

Before any of this you should run the utility which comes with the lappy to burn two sets of recovery disks for the Win 8 installation.

I'd be more inclined to use primary partitions for each of the op systems and extended partition for data. Assuming the Lenovo comes with Win 8 installed you could leave that as is (eliminates any need for iso's and re-using keys etc and lessens later problems with where the boot sector is located) using gparted or similar to shrink it to the size you need and reassigning the remaining space to the primaries for Win 7, Ubuntu and the data partition. Install Win 7 second then Ubuntu as Grub will see the existing Windows installations and incorporate them into your grub boot menu.

I would also make an image of the installed system (C and the EFI partition at least) - which is probably 8.1.

Then I would not double/triple boot the other systems but run them in VMware Player. That is a lot neater and trouble free plus you can run them side by side with 8.1. Here are the installation instructions and some demos of such a setup.

The system you describe in the op wouldn't work. However Ubuntu can and does get along with 8 just fine when installed as a multiboot instead of dual booting. If you decide to go down this path then when you buy the new system be sure to purchase an extra hdd (or use a spare one).

1. Assuming your new system comes with 8.1 then make any copies you need and physically remove the drive before proceeding… actually just disconnecting the sata cable is what I recommend.

2. Connect the extra (spare) hdd and install Ubuntu and mint on it, as per normal… they won't share system file with the windows 8.1 drive.

3. Once you are happy with the install, shut the system down and reconnect the w8.1 drive… boot into the bios and set the spare drive as first boot option or windows 8.1 will come up.

4. You press the boot selector key during the bios "typically F12" and select whichever drive has the windows 8.1 install when you want to boot to that instead of the normal Ubuntu.

I personally have my hyper-v server set as default with a windows 7 dual. Then 3 extra drives with XP, windows 8 and Ubuntu respectively living on the same physical gigabit motherboard, machine without upsetting each since Christmas last… just don't try to mix and match the data on these drives when installing programs and unless you feel like being VERY meticulous with scanning rules I'd recommend only having antivirus programs on one of the systems.

For me, the flexibility of this system comes at the cost of complex security needs because the whole thing hides behind an Edian firewall which may not suit your situation and there is always the virtual as I think WHS suggested.

To be clear; in a multiboot, each system needs its own hdd… not just a partition.

p.s. if this new system has a usb 3 then booting 8 from an external drive is just as fast and may be simpler to secure.

"I would also make an image of the installed system" From whs Post #5

Words of wisdom, before you start anything!

I would like to second ussnorway.

If this is a new system, you don't wanna tamper with the installed OS as it will void your warranty right away. Seeing that you are unsure about going about it, instead of wiping out the hard drive, get another another and make that your playground. Keep the original hard drive or make it a data drive (create a data partition) later on. You can get an enclosure for it or an adapter to install it to the DVD-ROM slot.

The fastest solution would be to put Mint or Ubuntu on a stick as a persistent system. In half an hour you have a running system and you don't disturb anything. Just make sure you take a stick with an access time under 1ms. Here is a tutorial on how to.

And here is my Mint version running and recorded from a stick. That gives you an idea how well it runs.

What ussnorway seems to be suggesting requires 2 hdd slots which the Lenovo G510 doesn't have and is in any case unnecessary. badrobot's statement that "If this is a new system, you don't wanna tamper with the installed OS as it will void your warranty right away." is just not true and in any event a full system recovery from the manufacturer installed recovery partition will reset the laptop back to factory settings anyway. The two options to consider are the multiple booting as I described or vmplayer as described by whs.

What ussnorway seems to be suggesting requires 2 hdd slots which the Lenovo G510 doesn't have and is in any case unnecessary. badrobot's statement that "If this is a new system, you don't wanna tamper with the installed OS as it will void your warranty right away." is just not true and in any event a full system recovery from the manufacturer installed recovery partition will reset the laptop back to factory settings anyway. The two options to consider are the multiple booting as I described or vmplayer as described by whs.
The OP wants to combine linux and Win 8. It wouldnt be a problem if he can recover the original OS without any issues.

Sent from my HTC One X using WindowsForum mobile app

Or the stick version. That is the easiest and is some sort of double boot without disturbing the system. Only prerequisite is a fast stick - 16GB or bigger.

My Mint on the stick boots faster and operates faster than my Windows 7 which is on a Crucial SSD. I mainly use a very fast 128GB USB3 stick, but it also works well with this 16GB stick.

2014-04-09_1247.png

Thank you all for your replies! They have been very helpful, and I was just going to virtualize as previously suggested (since I don't have to HDD bays), when two things happened:

1. I realized that the HDD was a GPT (up to 128 partitions)
  2. The Windows 8.1 UI was not as bad as I thought it would be, and hence, I have decided to give it a chance before installing Win7.
Again, thank you all for your help. I'm sorry for wasting your time.

P.S. Should I mark this thread as solved?

No problem - it all adds to the sum total of knowledge available in the forums.

Back