Windows 8 - Slow hard disk access.

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Blue Screen of Death (BSOD)' started by WhaleTrain, Jan 21, 2013.

1. WhaleTrain

WhaleTrain New Member

Hi there folks and I just wanted to ask a question that has been pulling my hair out for the last months of Windows 8 being released.

When Windows 8 was released I was eager to pay the £24.99 and buy it, so I did. Unfortunately though, there is one issue that is driving me crazy. This is slow access to my files on another drive. Specifically, I guess, folders with lots of files in like my Music folder for example.

This folder is located on another drive not on my SSD and every time I open a folder inside there there is a short burst freeze then my files appear. What could be causing this as I don't think my issue is related to some problems on here.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Whale

2. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Hi,

I have a similar situation with a spare SATA2 75GB drive that I keep my driver back ups and other bits and bobs. Like you, when first accessing certain folders especially if they contain a lot of data then there is a bit of lag. Once accessed however the folders open up as quick as you like. Is yours similar to my experience?

3. WhaleTrain

WhaleTrain New Member

Thanks for the reply. That is what happens with me, it's annoying as I don't want the lag there. It never did it in Windows 7 :/