Windows 8 USB 3.0 Support Should Be Backported to Windows 7 via SP2

JMH

As Microsoft announced USB 3.0 support in Windows 8, I don’t think I was the only one thinking: “But what about Windows 7?”

The promise from Microsoft is that all over 10 billion USB devices will work with USB 3.0 when connected to Windows 8 computers.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Does USB 3.0 not currently work with Windows 7? I swear I've used a 3.0 External HD on Windows 7 before and got fast speeds.

Windows 7 does not have built-in USB 3.0 support, but after you install official dri-vers from manufacturer's site, they work fine. Hopefully they will add it in SP2, If They Make A Second One. They only really fixed 3 or 4 things in SP1 Mainly HDMI Support. They May Just Make an SP of updates.

Last edited:
It's not working that smooth now. Look at the WD and some other forums and there are a lot of problems with USB 3.0. Sometimes it's just slow speed others it's dropping out for no reason. It doesn't seem to matter much whether it's a addon card or that the PC came with USB 3.0 installed. I think it's release was rushed and poorly coordinated.
Joe

Back