Windows 8 windows 8'1 preview install problems

jhmac77

I have downloaded 8.1 ISO 32 bit files on two different computers and then burned them to two different DVD's. Both check out by Hash ok but both give me this code 8 . . . error in the middle of the install, something about files cannot be copied and on both computers. The drive I am installing to are empty small 20 gb but I have used this size to download trial win 8 trials before on the same two computers with no problem. Both computers seem to be compatible except maybe for one problem something about NX security in the boot,
What could be the problem?
Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

System requirements are as follows:

What are the system requirements for Windows 8.1 Preview?
Windows 8.1 Preview works great on the same hardware that powers Windows 8:

• Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster
  • RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
  • Free hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
  • Graphics card: MicrosoftDirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver

So you should be ok on that front. How fast are you burning the iso? If it's faster than 4x then try re-burning them at that speed.

Hi,

System requirements are as follows:

So you should be ok on that front. How fast are you burning the iso? If it's faster than 4x then try re-burning them at that speed.
What is

• Graphics card:MicrosoftDirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver??? My graphics is geforce 9300mm GS 256 mb
I can't control the speed of the DVD. Never heard of that! I have all the mimimum requirements. If Microsoft wants to sell its 8.1 its hits zero so far.

Ok, 1st of all Windows 8.1 is not the problem so let's stop trying call it a 'zero'. Plus, there is no charge for 8.1 nor will there be any cost for it.

And, yes, burn speeds are selectable by quite a bit. BUT, if you Rt Clk on the .ISO file & use Burn disc image, the speed used will be correct.

Just means can run the OS but, will not avail Win8's Secure Boot.

20GB drive is cutting it pretty darn close for size.... a bit small.

Anyway, I would recommend go get the .iso downloaded, again. Burn it using Burn disc image. And try again having started over from scratch.

Is you machine only x86? Is that why you are DLing x86 of Windows 8.1 rather than, a x64 version?

Cheers,
Drew
Win8Logo (2013_02_06 10_30_24 UTC).jpg

That vid card you have is a bit old, and made w/ reference to Vista. But, although, a fairly low-end card if it's running Win8 ok, should, still, be ok for 8.1

I only burned the disk the way you described both times. What is NX security in the boot?

What are your system specs for the PC you're wanting to install 8.1 on? What bit version is the current OS? What is the exact error message number being shown?

Protecting the pre-OS environment with UEFI - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

Secure boot

See also: Unified Extensible Firmware Interface#Secure boot and Hardware restrictions#Windows 8

"Windows 8 supports a feature of the UEFI specification known as "Secure boot", which uses a public-key infrastructure to verify the integrity of the operating system and prevent unauthorized programs such as bootkits from infecting the device.[SUP][96] [/SUP]Microsoft faced criticism (particularly from free software supporters) for mandating that devices receiving its optional certification for Windows 8 have secure boot enabled by default using a key provided by Microsoft. Concerns were raised that secure boot could prevent or hinder the use of alternate operating systems such as Linux. In response to the criticism, Microsoft developer Tony Mangefeste stated that "At the end of the day, the customer is in control of their PC. Microsoft's philosophy is to provide customers with the best experience first, and allow them to make decisions themselves."[SUP][97][/SUP][SUP][98] [/SUP]Microsoft's certification requirements eventually revealed that UEFI firmware on x86 systems must allow users to re-configure or turn off secure boot, but that this must not be possible on ARM-based systems (Windows RT). Microsoft faced further criticism for its decision to restrict Windows RT devices by using this functionality.[SUP][64][/SUP][SUP][99][/SUP][SUP][100][/SUP] Tom Warren, in an article on The Verge, said that other smartphones and tablets are typically sold in a locked-down state.[SUP][100][/SUP] No mandate is made regarding the installation of third-party certificates that would enable running alternative software.[SUP][101][/SUP][SUP][102][/SUP][SUP][103]" [/SUP]- Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation

Protecting the pre-OS environment with UEFI - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

Secure boot

See also: Unified Extensible Firmware Interface#Secure boot and Hardware restrictions#Windows 8
Windows 8 supports a feature of the UEFI specification known as "Secure boot", which uses a public-key infrastructure to verify the integrity of the operating system and prevent unauthorized programs such as bootkits from infecting the device.[SUP][96][/SUP]
Microsoft faced criticism (particularly from free software supporters) for mandating that devices receiving its optional certification for Windows 8 have secure boot enabled by default using a key provided by Microsoft. Concerns were raised that secure boot could prevent or hinder the use of alternate operating systems such as Linux. In response to the criticism, Microsoft developer Tony Mangefeste stated that "At the end of the day, the customer is in control of their PC. Microsoft's philosophy is to provide customers with the best experience first, and allow them to make decisions themselves."[SUP][97][/SUP][SUP][98][/SUP]
Microsoft's certification requirements eventually revealed that UEFI firmware on x86 systems must allow users to re-configure or turn off secure boot, but that this must not be possible on ARM-based systems (Windows RT). Microsoft faced further criticism for its decision to restrict Windows RT devices by using this functionality.[SUP][64][/SUP][SUP][99][/SUP][SUP][100][/SUP] Tom Warren, in an article on The Verge, said that other smartphones and tablets are typically sold in a locked-down state.[SUP][100][/SUP] No mandate is made regarding the installation of third-party certificates that would enable running alternative software.[SUP][101][/SUP][SUP][102][/SUP][SUP][103][/SUP]
I FIGURED AS SUCH my systems are 6 or 7 years old. hash worked. case closed.

Apologies for not getting back to you but I see plenty jumped in with advice.. :)

I have 8 preview and would like to download 8.1 preview. I can't. I try to download the ISO files but 8 shuts down my pc after an hour. If I can't download 8.1, can I download 7 and replace 8?

Back
Top Bottom