Windows could not search for new updates

How can the issue be resolved?

• Send a link

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Outline the steps

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Well this is an undocumented error so it may be difficult to troubleshoot. Do you use the Windows firewall or a 3rd party firewall? I would suggest temporarily disabling your firewall and if you have a border firewall, disable the blocking on it too and try and update. If that works you will need to evaluate your firewall rules.

Does the error pop up while physically logged into a console at the Server2012 machine? Or does the error pop-up on a client machine connecting to the server over the LAN? Since you have a network does it only happen on 1 client machine, or multiple client machines?

We could use a little more information here.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

network failed is the line between Microsoft update server and what is asking for updates... as well as the two above ideas I'd also have a look at the system clock because having the wrong time (daylight savings) will casue this as well.

Last edited:
Well this is an undocumented error so it may be difficult to troubleshoot. Do you use the Windows firewall or a 3rd party firewall? I would suggest temporarily disabling your firewall and if you have a border firewall, disable the blocking on it too and try and update. If that works you will need to evaluate your firewall rules.

I have disabled the 3rd party firewall, but it didn't solve the problem.

Does the error pop up while physically logged into a console at the Server2012 machine? Or does the error pop-up on a client machine connecting to the server over the LAN? Since you have a network does it only happen on 1 client machine, or multiple client machines?

We could use a little more information here.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Yes, it pops up while physically logged into the machine.

network failed is the line between Microsoft update server and what is asking for updates... as well as the two above ideas I'd also have a look at the system clock because having the wrong time (daylight savings) will casue this as well.

The system time is correct.

At this point without having a network diagram or map of your network, it's difficult to help you more. Is this server running in your home or at a corporate business office? If so, how many users are connecting to this server? 5, 10, 25, 100, 500, more??

I've been building servers for 35+ years, and one thing I learned is go by the KISS Principle. If this server is at your home, or you have a small corporate network I'd disconnect that server from the rest of the LAN by physically unplugging it's Ethernet cable. Then if you have a small hub or 10/100/1000 Ethernet switch lying around (or you can buy one online for about $25), plug the server into the hub/switch and take the workstation or PC or laptop that you are getting the error message on and see if a server client gets the same error message. If the error message goes away, that tells you that the error is probably with the network and could be the result or improper subnetting or other interconnectivity issues such as a defective router, switch, gateway, or firewall as mentioned. If you disconnect the server's Ethernet cable from the hub/switch and leave the server unconnected from any network connections, log into it and see whether you still get your error message. If you do still get the error message on the server console, chances are you have a module failure such SNMP services or PRINTER services or BACKUP services or some-such causing the error at the server level. You can go into Admin event viewer and take a look at which service(s) are throwing errors to track that down.

If you have no luck there, I might suggest that you remove the bootdrive from the server entirely, and install a brand new hard drive into that server, reinstall the server 2012 software from scratch, and don't add any of the optional modules I mention above and restest for the message with that server still disconnected from any other computers via an Ethernet connection from the server PC. When you now login into the server console as Admin, and you find your error message disappears, you have isolated the problem to the install on that original hard drive. You can then add back in optional modules that you had installed on your original hard drive one at a time until the error message reappears. If it does show it's ugly head, that module is either corrupt or you could have faulty hardware elsewhere in the server PC. Have you tested your RAM sticks and bootdrive?

Isolating your problem to the server PC, server hard drive, etc. by disconnecting from any kind of LAN connection is the way us IT guys fix this sort of problem. In many corporate networks, this is a big problem and in some companies where we had to do this to solve a server error such as you have, it can cause the company up to a million dollars a day lost in downtime; that sort of thing has to be scheduled for a weekend, preferably a long holiday weekend; such as 3-4 days. If you are running this server at home, this is obviously not the case. If this is a corporate network and you have to schedule a PM (Preventive Maintenance) shutdown, you better have all the numbers of your vendors and network engineers on your speed dial if you can't bring the server and LAN back online after the repair attempt!! o_O

Let us know how it goes.

BBJ

Back
Top Bottom