Windows 7 Windows crashed, now freezes at log-on except when in Safe Mode

the2crow

Windows 7 froze for no apparent reason, and ctrl+alt+del wouldn't work. I turned off the power and reset it, but then, upon attempting to log in, it froze during the "welcome, loading" screen that's displayed after entering ones password.

Booting it in safe mode works.

I have no idea what could be wrong with it or what to do.
Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated!

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit on a Gateway nv79, with an i3 processor, etc, if any of that is pertinent.

Hi and welcome.

Boot to safe mode + networking. Go to C:\Windows\Minidump

Copy the files in there to any other folder then zip them. Attach the zip to a post here and we shall look.

Thanks;
c:\windows\minidump isn't there, and a search for "minidump" or "dmp" doesn't bring anything up.

I understand that you can't boot into windows 7, but it works during safemode, that could mean one thing! Did you install something harmful for your computer. I would suggest you log into windows 7 on safe-mode and uninstall everything you've installed prior to your issue.

Also, to make sure your
computer is a 64-bit I would like it if you could double check for me. Start Menu-Computer-Right Click-Properties

Please copy and paste the information from there here so I can offer more help!

Thanks!

System Info:
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DAVIS-PC
System Manufacturer Gateway
System Model NV79
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 330 @ 2.13GHz, 2128 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Gateway V1.05, 1/5/2010
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
User Name Davis-PC\Davis
Time Zone Mountain Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.68 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.27 GB
Total Virtual Memory 7.35 GB
Available Virtual Memory 5.94 GB
Page File Space 3.68 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

So you think I may have installed something harmful? I have a system restore point from last night, would utilizing that be sufficient to fix the problem?

The only thing I've installed since it was working last is the "Games for Windows Marketplace" downloader client.

Alright, I will try my best to offer a solution to your issue. Can you go into more detail about the problem you're experiencing?

Thanks

Boot to safe mode + networking. Type msinfo32 in the start menu then press enter. File | save on the opened screen. Zip the saved file then attach the zip to a post. We can check on drivers and services, one of which is causing the issue, and advise on what to update and/or remove.

1) Uninstall Daemon Tools. Then use the installer/uninstaller at the link here to remove sptd.sys. Be sure to click uninstall while using:

DuplexSecure - Downloads

When you get to normal mode later on, you can replace it with PowerISO which is perfectly stable and the emulation part is free forever:

PowerISO - Create, Edit, Compress, Encrypt, Split, Mount, Extract ISO file, ISO/BIN converter, Virtual Drive

2) Install this to update Synaptics TouchPad driver:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

3) Install this to update Atheros WLAN driver:

http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-download.php?chipset=29&system=6

4) Update Realtek HD Audio driver using the device manager:

RtkHDAudio

Use this download to do so:

Vista, Windows7 Driver (32/64bits) Driver only (ZIP file)

------------

Let us know how this goes for ya. You can try booting to Windows after doing step three. If it works well, then install the HD Audio from there instead.

Last edited:
I think you should do the minedum thing that was sugsted in posts and sumittit the file to the "blue screen of deth" Thay can read that and most likely tell you what is going on. They a great at decoding these message. plus there is microsoft person that drops in from time to time and these people are great at what they do. Recmadation send minedomp file to the team for decodeing.
Good luck,
Techgeek212
On the heand call custmer support and they should know what to do. If the minedomp file is not working. Also, I'm thinking vires. Have had any old behaver from your computer? How much ram do have?

Wait i also think is lack of:
Available Physical Memory 2.27 GB Thats how much memory you have your pc that is usable. I think when there is not a lest 30 gb free of space then everything is relieing on virtal mermay which is slower then your computer C:\ or D:\ or your windows houlding drive don't have engoup space to fuacation right. Maybe a memory upgrade time or some file delating time.

He can't post any minidumps because he has not had any stop error crashes. Memory is not the issue whatsoever. I have a 768 MB machine in total that runs amazing with uptimes of months. :)

My advice above should fix it.

He can't post any minidumps because he has not had any stop error crashes. Memory is not the issue whatsoever. I have a 768 MB machine in total that runs amazing with uptimes of months. :)

My advice above should fix it.
Alright, thank you. So you recommend uninstalling Avira, then performing those other steps?

I'll give it a go.

Also, I'm not sure why it's said that I only have 2.27gb of available physical memory; I certainly have much more than that.

So... I ran that Antivir Removal Tool, then uninstalled Avira.
I uninstalled Daemon Tools.
After downloading the DuplexSecure file and running it, it did not present me with the option to click "Uninstall", as it said "No sptd detected."
I attempted to install the Synaptic Update, but it said "Error: A newer version of the Synaptics Pointing Device Driver is installed. If you want to install the older version of the Driver, please uninstall the current ...etc."

And... I frankly have no idea what I'm supposed to do with the Atheros WLAN driver.

Your Synaptics driver was old and needed to be updated. The easiest way for you to do so is to visit your laptop manufacturer's site then to get it.

Cool about sptd.sys...as long as you uninstalled Daemon Tools normally.

Can you boot to normal mode?

Back
Top Bottom