Windows Defender wont start

jpre3429

As of the last few days windows defender will not open or start up and has turned off spyware and virus protection. In the bottom corner of the screen is a flag saying i have 2 PC issues to be solved, which is turning on virus and spyware protection. When i click on it to turn them on an error message appears with the the error code 0x80073afc.
I have searched through various threads on whirlpool and several other sites but am unable to find any resolution to this problem.
If anyone knows of a solution or could help out with fixing this problem it would be greatly appreciated.

I had already checked this page and followed the steps, i have done it again just in case but it has not fixed the issue

Ok thank you.. Is there anything that has been changed on your system in the last few days? New updates/applications or a bad crash perhaps? Do you run any particular anti virus software?

i currently only run windows defender as the computer tech told me windows defender was all i needed. ( i previously ran trend but not for several months now)
there was a windows update installed roughly around the time it stopped working, however i have restored the system to prior to the updates as per one of the instructions in the above link.

Hi,
can you check your installed updates and see if this is installed:

KB3022345

If it is then this may be the cause of the issue. Please remove.

Have you tried opening services (type services.msc in the run box) see if the windows defender service is set to automatic.

Windows Defender Network Inspection Service is set to manual but i cannot change this
Windows Defender Service is set to automatic
Both say that they are running though

as for updates i could not see KB3022345 on the list
however everyday it lists definition update for windows defender KB2267602

It's not unusual to see that definition offered as it's a kinda blanket definition number as it's offered multiple times.

Going back to the update that was installed around the time the issue started can you have a look and see what it is or what it relates to?

Back
Top Bottom