Windows 10 Windows defender !!

I recently upgrade my operating system from windows 7 to windows 10. For installing free antivirus, it's suggest me to off windows defender system. But i am unable to finding the option, Can any one tell me the steps please..

Firstly, I would suggest to continue using Windows Defender along with all his components.
But it dependes on you and the sites you are accessing usually.
If you still want to disable Defender, then do the followings:
1. Open Windows Settings
2. Go to Update & Security
3. Go to Windows Security
4. Press Open Windows Security
5. Go to Virus & Threat protection
6. Press Manage settings under Virus & threat protection settings
7. Disable Real-time protection
But first be sure you know what you are doing and what free antivirus you are trying to install.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

I recently upgrade my operating system from windows 7 to windows 10. For installing free antivirus, it's suggest me to off windows defender system. But i am unable to finding the option, Can any one tell me the steps please..

Exactly WHAT "free antivirus" are you hoping to install!

Note! ALL correct antivirus-softwares do inactivate defender automatically when installed and running.. So the one you tried to install might not be a correct one..

And YES! if you uninstall any correct antivirus-software then Defender gets activated automatically..
Defender is actually only to be used in between 2 real antiviruse softwares, since defender is not good at finding newer malware, and thus makes your PC get infected for several days before defender finds the installed malware.. (and then defender, way to often, leaves active remnats of the malware)

Proper malwares try to hinder the malware before it gets to BITE itself into your computer.. Defender DOES NOT do this!

If you dont know what free antivirus to choose: try Sophos Home. Cybersecurity Made Simple for Home Computers. You register 1 account and get to protect 3 PCs/Macs..

Last edited:
Windows Defender is built into Windows 10 so there's nothing to install for that. Windows Defender is ok protection, but I wouldn't recommend running just it. I would go paid software. It's almost always better protection, more features and your data isn't the product like many free end point protection software tend to harvest.

Webroot, BitDefender, ESET, MalwareBytes Premium are a few.

A Microsoft Defender presentation:

WOW! You show a MARKETING article as something true! The same article also spells:
Best free antivirus alternative for Windows
(And that points AWAY from the built in DEFENDER!)

I know many people does have trouble reading the entire article and instead only reads what suits them best..
That is why facebook is filled with "articles" saying the earth is flat.. and that 5G mobile masts emits corona viruses..

Note! Marketing is not based on real life tests...

Unfortunately, I don't think you will ever find an unbiased article about antivirus programs. IMHO, Microsoft Defender is enough for users who surf the web just to search for information. I can tell you that I am using only Defender for years and I never had problems.
Besides that, the post of the article was not intended to market anything, especially not the Defender, which is free for anyone with a windows licence. Believe me that before I posted this article I read a lot of similar Best antivirus articles. I just looked for an unbiased presentation of the Defender in order to help the original poster and this one was the first I found. As I already wrote in my previous post, the reference from my part was made only to Defender's specifications and not the other antivirus programs, so there was no attempt from my part to market anything.
If you could post here an impartial professional presentation and classification of the variety of antivirus programs on the market, it would be very nice and useful for everybody.
But you do not expect that just enumerating a few known programs names would help somebody looking for the best and cheapest solution to protect its computer.
And I agree with you that this type of articles is not the best source of information for making a decision, but I, at least, do not know a better one. I would be grateful if you could point me, and other users like me, in the right direction.

There is definately problems with antivirus reviews, but you have to find the ones that relay on independent labs such as AV-Test or AV-Comparatives. There are a few more out there that are focused on testing antivirus software capabilites. One site that i found compared Windows defender vs Avast. Seems like they use data from actual labs, not put together some random thoughts. Always check where the information originates from.

I use mac as a work computer, but for a home computer I use Windows with Norton actually. As it was said before "ALL correct antivirus-softwares do inactivate defender automatically when installed and running." So when you try to install ei known software, there shouldn't be any problems.

There is definately problems with antivirus reviews, but you have to find the ones that relay on independent labs such as AV-Test or AV-Comparatives. There are a few more out there that are focused on testing antivirus software capabilites. One site that i found compared Windows defender vs Avast. Seems like they use data from actual labs, not put together some random thoughts. Always check where the information originates from.

I use mac as a work computer, but for a home computer I use Windows with Norton actually. As it was said before "ALL correct antivirus-softwares do inactivate defender automatically when installed and running." So when you try to install ei known software, there shouldn't be any problems.
Thank you for the info on unbiased (I hope) comparison sites. I didn't even know they exist, I never found any of them on my searches.

Back