Windows 7 Windows Experience Index score now only 3?

alka5eltzer

Hi all... first of all I have to say that I'm lovin Windows 7.. no real problems at all. :eek:

When I ran the Windows Experience tool on my previous install (Vista Hme Prem 32) my score was 5.9.
My drives (RAID 2 x Seagate 500Gb striped) are now only reading a disk data transfer rate score of 3?
Everything else is reading in the 7's.

Whys has my score dropped... this means my base score is now only 3 (since the subscore of the drives is only 3, hence pulling my whole system down.)

Is there any way around this? :confused:

PS.. here's my setup:
D06X609 200-54391 1 Processor Intel Core 2 Quad-Core Processor Q9300 (2.50Ghz, 1333MHz FSB, 6MB cache) 210-20105 1 Memory Upgrade to 3GB 667 MHz (From 1024MB 667MHz) 236-10349 1 Money Off-300 £ inc Vat 239-11890 1 Documentation : English Shipping Doc with UK/Irish Power Cord 340-15196 1 Resource DVD XPS 630 Diagnostics & Drivers 340-15202 1 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 800MHz [4x1024MB] Memory 370-12869 1 19-in-1 Bluetooth Media Card Reader 385-10639 1 Hard Drive : 1TB (2x500GB) Serial ATA (7200RPM) Dual HDD Config 400-14461 1 DVD+/-RW (ReadWrite) 16X 429-13020 1 ROXIO Software for Vista - Creator / MYDVD 10.1 429-13028 1 Display : 24in E248WFP UK/Irish Black Widescreen Value (1920 x 1200) TCO99 DVI-D 480-15472 1 Graphics 1GB ATI® Radeon® 3870 X2 graphics card 490-10783 1 Sound Card Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme 510-10220 1 Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Speakers - UK 520-10652 1 Logitech G9 Onboard Memory Laser Gaming Mouse 570-10486 1 Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard - UK & Ireland 580-13446 1 Operating System : English Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 619-12597 1 English Microsoft Works 9.0 (Word Processor, Spreadsheet, Outlook Express, Powerpoint Viewer) (With Recovery CD) 630-10933

Shay

Last edited:
The same thing happened to my notebook when I ran Windows Experience just now. The score dropped by over 2 points. The one that is so low is the disk data rate, which is now 2. It is an HP Pavilion 9343ca. My other scores are 4.2 except for graphics which is 4.7. Maybe the newer notebooks are a lot faster?

wouldn't think too much about it, the indexing in windows 7 seems to be a little buggy.
friend of mine has 4GB of 1333mhz DDR3-RAM and Windows 7 gives it a 4.3. My DDR2 800mhz RAM is a 5.9 ...

I have noticed that most reported hard drive scores with Windows 7b are (3). Mine is too.

Mine is a single Maxtor SATA150 160GB.

So I wouldn't go so much with the 'performance rating', but more with the 'user experience'. How does it 'feel'?

I have noticed that most reported hard drive scores with Windows 7b are (3). Mine is too.

Mine is a single Maxtor SATA150 160GB.

So I wouldn't go so much with the 'performance rating', but more with the 'user experience'. How does it 'feel'?

Can a low score affect Windows Live games... e.g. Fall out 3?

PS: Its hard to believe its still a beta... its in excellent shape... I think its far more stable than Vista :p

The low score shouldn't affect your gaming performance.

Score wise, I get different results for the x86 and x64 builds. The x64 seems happy to jump about every so often, so i wouldn't worry about it - doesn't seem to affect my performance :razz:

I've seen other's reporting different scores with Win7 than with Vista. However, my scores are identical to Vista. Interesting.

I too experienced different scores. But mine went up from vista to 7. I had Vista 32 bit and would get about 3.1 depending on my computers mood. With Windows 7 64 bit I get 3.7. Video card is what holds my laptop back.

strange

another post suggested device manager>disk drives>properties>policies uncheck the write catching>run assesment>re-check write catching> run assesment again mine went from 3.0 to 5.5 trick?

When you run the Assessment are you making sure all virus and malware scanners are disabled? Also check for any other programs that are running in your background.

If it runs a true test (where it runs a transfer or whats needed) those things will affect transfer rates by quiet a bit. If you're worried about leaving your computer in the open, unplug it from your network first. Don't forget to re-enable all of your protection software.

another post suggested device manager>disk drives>properties>policies uncheck the write catching>run assesment>re-check write catching> run assesment again mine went from 3.0 to 5.5 trick?

It has since been learned that it is a Win7 driver issue.

If you install the latest Intel Storage Manager drivers (Vista 32 or 64) for your chipset, you will see the higher scores with the write-cache enabled.

it is a known driver isssue with windows 7 and microsoft is in the process of patching her up.

This actually worked, went from 3.0 to 6.0...thnx

Another trick -- disable these services - "indexing", "Superfertch" and "Readyboost". (Readyboost doesn't exist BTW in build 7200).

Also don't run performance tests while anything else is running. Move the paging file off the system disk if it still is on the same disk as the OS.

switch off all aV software this stuff just wastes CPU cycles without actually doing anything particularly useful. -- to those of you who've read some of my posts - you probably in any case know my feelings about software firewalls and Av software -- this stuff is MUCH better handled in the hardware --especially in the routers / switches.
With AV software -- especially the Free downloadable stuff my motto here is based on the old Latin expression :

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

or in plain English -- Who guards the guards --if the AV software gets infected you are totally hosed anyway. These days any self respecting "hacker" or "mal practice" deviant will attack a computer via "it's soft underbelly" which means via the Av software or in the case of 32 bit os'es using rootkits which most AV software is hopeless at preventing anyway.

If you don't download dubious stuff and regularly applly the security updates you should be OK in any case.

It's much harder attacking the firmware within a router.

cheers
jimbo

Last edited:
briang you would get different scores for both as they use different components each. One can use up to 4 GB RAM and the other i believe can use up to 128 GB RAM so the tests would be different.

Just to point out:

32bit OSes support up to 4gb total memory, that includes ram, video, etc
64bit OSes support up to 16 exabytes of total memory, just google and you'll see that.

I've also got a score of 3 for my hard disk, which is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11rpm 750gb drive, all of em.

My scores are in the desktop screentshot thread and I'm still trying to get it higher :(

Back