Windows 7 Windows Explorer constantly crashing (folders with images in them)

JoshGoodman

I'm in desperate need of help! Windows explorer crashes with the error message "Windows Explorer has stopped working" whenever I click on any folder that has a RAW image file (.CR2) or a TIFF/PSD image file in it. It then shuts down and restarts. It only happens with these large image files, not video, audio, or pdf files.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium. My computer did two lengthy Windows updates over the last week when I did system restarts, so maybe that has something to do with it?

I spent the whole day yesterday trying different suggestions I found on the web and nothing has worked. Here's some of the things that I've tried that have been unsuccessful:

- Selected "Always show icons, never thumbnails" in "Folder options / View".
- Scanned my computer with Malwarebytes. Same problem after the scan/cleanup.
- Tried do a System Restore on 6 different restore points and none of them could complete the Restore successfully.
- Tried to do a System Restore on the same restore points in safe mode and it still couldn't do it.
- Ran SFC/ scan, still does the same thing afterwards.
- Updated my video card driver.
- Tried different image codec packs.
- Uninstalled all image codec packs.
- Some selective startup or clean boot stuff through "msconfig" that didn't help.
- Plus a few other things that I can't even remember (it was a late night!)

I'd be so grateful if anybody can help me figure out this issue. I need to use Photoshop and work with these images for my line of work so I'm kind of at a standstill until I get this resolved. Doing a full reinstall is something I really don't want to have to do!!

Thanks so much,
Josh

I'm in desperate need of help! Windows explorer crashes with the error message "Windows Explorer has stopped working" whenever I click on any folder that has a RAW image file (.CR2) or a TIFF/PSD image file in it. It then shuts down and restarts. It only happens with these large image files, not video, audio, or pdf files.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium. My computer did two lengthy Windows updates over the last week when I did system restarts, so maybe that has something to do with it?

I spent the whole day yesterday trying different suggestions I found on the web and nothing has worked. Here's some of the things that I've tried that have been unsuccessful:

- Selected "Always show icons, never thumbnails" in "Folder options / View".
- Scanned my computer with Malwarebytes. Same problem after the scan/cleanup.
- Tried do a System Restore on 6 different restore points and none of them could complete the Restore successfully.
- Tried to do a System Restore on the same restore points in safe mode and it still couldn't do it.
- Ran SFC/ scan, still does the same thing afterwards.
- Updated my video card driver.
- Tried different image codec packs.
- Uninstalled all image codec packs.
- Some selective startup or clean boot stuff through "msconfig" that didn't help.
- Plus a few other things that I can't even remember (it was a late night!)

I'd be so grateful if anybody can help me figure out this issue. I need to use Photoshop and work with these images for my line of work so I'm kind of at a standstill until I get this resolved. Doing a full reinstall is something I really don't want to have to do!!

Thanks so much,
Josh

never try and diagnose a PC when ur tired.:)

Everything you have said points to installing a fresh OS.:frown:

Only have the bare minimum Hardware installed when doing a fresh install.

After a fresh install, do urself a big favor and start using Imaging Software like Acronis True Image. It is the BEST there is. Just ask the Hard Drive manufacturer, Seagate!

And never rely the Rollback feature or System restore feature. They can't solve problems well enough and actually have the potential to make things worse. (In your case you've proven it to be true, I betcha'.) I've always disabled both and instead relied on Imaging Software like Acronis True Image. It RULES as far as saving time and getting things working properly every time.

GL

It might be a corrupt thumbs.db file created by Windows or Photoshop (they create different ones). In order to determine this, let me ask... does this happen with ANY folder with images? Try moving the folder to the desktop and opening it from there. Does it still crash? Try opening it in safe mode. Get back to us.

Back