Windows 7 Windows features is blank

katmandu

Running Win 7 64 bit and I noticed that my Add\Remove Windows feature box is blank. I ran the windows readiness tool and tried system restore to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.:confused:

So, you went to Control Panel, Programs and Features, and then Windows Features is blank? Did you give it time to populate? Have you rebooted?

Is your OS an upgrade fron Vista? This is usually the reason for the phenomena. As far as I know (I hope someone has a better idea!) the only solution is a reinstall.

Tried the solution of creating a new account,that did not work either. I don't think I will do a reinstall becuase this is the only problem I have. Too bad Microsoft can't come up with a fix.Never had this problem before and don't really know when it happened or how.:mad:

Tried the system file checker and no integrity violations were found. Tried System restore ....again to no avail.:confused:

I have not seen many, or possibly any of the symptoms you describe, so it may not be a Microsoft problem. Where did you get your install media? Possibly something could be wrong with it.

Have you modified or changed any folders or settings that might effect this, for instance have you deleted any fonts?

If you type optionalfeatures in the Start Menu search box and hit enter, is that the panel you show empty? And make note of the time you start the utility.

Check the Event Viewer around the time you started the above utility and see if any error or warning message show up.

Go to the Windows\System32 folder for optionalfeatures.exe and check the date and size by holding the mouse over it or going to properties. So you can compare, mine shows 7/13/09 and 96 K (95.5K) .

My OptionalFeatures.exe shows the same thing 7-13-09 96kb.
About the system readiness tool,are the errors you talking about in the Checksur.log? If thats what you mean I do not understand it.:confused:

Event Viewer does not show any problems,and I haven't changed any folders and settings. As Far as my media goes( I bought my windows 7 at Staples if that what you mean. Also I haven't changed for removed fonts but I did add one ttf.

I tried that and sfc found no violations but after running the readiness tool,the checksur.log shows app 27 missing files. Why didn't Sfc pick that up ,and what to do now?

Mike is probably right, that would seem to be the easiest way.

But if you want to see what might be required the other way, check this Microsoft site.

Advanced guidelines for diagnosing and fixing servicing corruption

If you are wondering why SFC did not find missing files, possibly they are not system files, or there was no file to compare to in the archive. Could you tell if there was any type of pattern for the missing files?

Last edited:
No pattern that I know of. It seems like this happened when I installed SP1. Don't know for sure. I want to do a repair install but I cannot uninstall SP1 now,cause when I try it in the "view updates I get the error that says"error,not all of the updates were uninstalled". I do not think I can do a REPAIR install if SP1 is not uninstalled ,because My installation disk does not have SP1. Am I right? Also I tried the command prompt to uninstall it and have the same problem. By the way. I did not delete my Service pack files in disk cleanup. What a cluster!

See my post (#4). Save you private data. It might be quicker in the long run. Since the thread started, already 5 days have elapsed!

Back