Windows 7 Windows Firewall won't open

Andrei Luza

Hey all,

I'm posting this one because I'm really out of ideas right now.

When I try to access Windows Firewall in the control panel, I hear the "click" sound from windows, but nothing happens.

I've checked and the service is running normally, I restarted it and still nothing.
When I try WF.MSC, I get an error "there was an error opening the windows firewall...."

Everything related to Windows Firewall doesn't open, like clicking directly on "add an exception to Windows Firewall", I click it and nothing. No error message.

I'm currently running 64 bit Windows 7, let me know if you have any suggestions please.

It's noteworthy that from a few weeks back my internet has been acting up, only now I realized this problem with Windows Firewall, I don't know if it's related.

Thanks!!

Hi Andrei,
check that you haven't got a nasty bug by running this app:
https://www.malwarebytes.org/

Check windows hasn't become corrupted. Look in the start menu for command prompt. Right click on it, choose properties and then run as admin. Type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

You could also consider system restore or pressing F8 whilst booting up to enter the advanced boot options and then try 'Last good known configuration'.

Be sure you don't have any other security programs running, they may stop each other. Some programs, when installed, may come with "Internet Security" or something, messing it all.

Since you seem to have a grasp of timeline, check what you've newly got.

Hey all,

I'm posting this one because I'm really out of ideas right now.

When I try to access Windows Firewall in the control panel, I hear the "click" sound from windows, but nothing happens.

I've checked and the service is running normally, I restarted it and still nothing.
When I try WF.MSC, I get an error "there was an error opening the windows firewall...."

Everything related to Windows Firewall doesn't open, like clicking directly on "add an exception to Windows Firewall", I click it and nothing. No error message.

I'm currently running 64 bit Windows 7, let me know if you have any suggestions please.

It's noteworthy that from a few weeks back my internet has been acting up, only now I realized this problem with Windows Firewall, I don't know if it's related.

Thanks!!

The most likely culprit is Windows thinks there is another firewall. As Pauli suggested, verify that no other security software is providing a firewall. BTW, some cable Internet providers include security software that may include a firewall.

However, the problem could also be old security software that you discontinued or uninstalled. I have seen incomplete uninstalls that either left the firewall portion or left remnants of it that Windows detects. If that is the case, you may need to do some manual cleanup. Check msconfig, run a registry cleaner, etc.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions.

Hi Andrei,
check that you haven't got a nasty bug by running this app:
https://www.malwarebytes.org/

Check windows hasn't become corrupted. Look in the start menu for command prompt. Right click on it, choose properties and then run as admin. Type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

You could also consider system restore or pressing F8 whilst booting up to enter the advanced boot options and then try 'Last good known configuration'.

I ran Malwarebytes, as well as AVG and CCleaner, got a few results, cleaned them but unfortunately nothing has changed regarding the firewall.

Scannow also did not find anything. The problem with changing boot options is that I don't actually know when the problem started, and it's not like windows isn't running, it's all good except I cant access the firewall.

The most likely culprit is Windows thinks there is another firewall. As Pauli suggested, verify that no other security software is providing a firewall. BTW, some cable Internet providers include security software that may include a firewall.

However, the problem could also be old security software that you discontinued or uninstalled. I have seen incomplete uninstalls that either left the firewall portion or left remnants of it that Windows detects. If that is the case, you may need to do some manual cleanup. Check msconfig, run a registry cleaner, etc.

I took a very close look at installed programs, ran ccleaner, checked every process running, but still there is nothing there thar could be providing firewall service, it can't be AVG because their Firewall comes from the full version, and I only have the free one.

Microsoft doesn't advertize this, but they have a department that deals with security threats, Microsoft PC Safety Dept, and they will actually help customers. Unbelievable, right? Call them at 866-727-2338. Inability to load the Windows Firewall is the kind of stuff they deal with and will help with.

Back