Brandon Phelan

I ended processes such as lsm.exe and a prompt came up telling me what Windows has encountered a critical problem and that it will restart in one minute.

Even though the process has ended (and remains closed), Windows OPERATES PERFECTLY FINE AND NORMALLY. Why does Windows have to shut down when I am ending something that is not necessary for operation of the system?

I am wondering if there is a way to prevent the shutting down / automatic restarting of Windows when a "critical" system process has ended? The computer runs better with this garbage turned off and Windows is having hissy fits for no reason.

Thanks!

Solution
I ended processes such as lsm.exe and a prompt came up telling me what Windows has encountered a critical problem and that it will restart in one minute.

Even though the process has ended (and remains closed), Windows OPERATES PERFECTLY FINE AND NORMALLY. Why does Windows have to shut down when I am ending something that is not necessary for operation of the system?

I am wondering if there is a way to prevent the shutting down / automatic restarting of Windows when a "critical" system process has ended? The computer runs better with this garbage turned off and Windows is having hissy fits for no reason.

Thanks!
You can abort the restart/shutdown by completing the following instructions:

Step 1) Click start menu...
Is a virus that may be responsible - TrojanDownloder. Win32.Agent.,
Download the Kaspersky Rescue Disk from Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10
2. Grab the .iso in a CD ~200mb
3. Run it before start windows.

After you remove this virus the system is not more acting up.

Voislav

About the lsm.exe, you can check lsm.exe Windows process - What is it?. Many kinds of comments as you can see. Some Windows processes, like explorer.exe, are absolutely needed. Others are not quite necessary, although they perform a vital function. I have nearly 3,000 files in my Program Files folder, nearly 74,000 files in my Windows folder... and I do NOT have the least intention to find out about all of them. I just hope they work.

Perhaps you'd care to map them all? :cool:

Hi

It depends on whether the first letter is a "capitol i" or a lower "case L"

Run Malwarebytes and see if it wants to remove it, I think that ism.exe is associated with some form of Malware.
Obviously they are trying to make it look like a Windows process.

If it is LSM.exe then it it a necessary Windows service and must run, but it shouldn't cause your computer to shut down.

If it is LSM.exe then try and run

SFC /scannow

From the elevated command prompt and see it there are any errors.

Mike

Last edited:
To the idiots that think this is malware/virus...it is not. I am ending a "critical system process" and the computer shuts down 60 seconds or so later. The system runs fine WHILE THIS PROCESS IS OFF...so why does the computer qualify it as a critical system process?

That is all I am asking.

Well to the idiot who posted the post above, "Who Cares"!
I still think it's malware since there are a number of others who have run into this.

Mike

Process name: Local Session Manager Service
Product: Windows Vista/7
Company: Microsoft
File: lsm.exe
Security Rating:

LSM is the Local Session Manager Service in Microsoft Windows. It is found mainly under Windows Vista/7, where it manages connections related to the terminal server on the hosted machine. It is considered a part of core Windows functionality.
Note: The lsm.exe file is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32. In other cases, lsm.exe is a virus, spyware, trojan or worm! Check this with Security Task Manager.

http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/lsm.exe.html

Last edited:
I would think that its malware for sure. If it were really a system-vital component, the computer would shut down immediately, possibly with a BSOD. I have never seen a Windows computer delay a shut down because it "has encountered a problem". Judging from what Brandon Phelan said, you would think that you could just keep running without the component for an hour if it really didn't matter.

Again, if its going to close, it will close immediately.

Wow, his goes clear back to 2012 but I'm glad to see there is a solution.
And of course I'm glad to see that those of us who thought it was malware were on the right track.

Mike

lsm is the session manager and is marked as a critical process. You can verify it's the real process by running procexp and right click the process > properties > verify and it should verify the digital certificate. You can also, from procexp, check the process against virus total.

Thanks!
You can abort the restart/shutdown by completing the following instructions:

Step 1) Click start menu
StartButton_16x162.png
| (or press the
StartButton_16x162.png
key and "R" at the same time)
Step 2) Type "cmd.exe" then press enter
Step 3) A little black window should pop up, in it type "shutdown -a" or "shutdown /a"
Step 4) Press enter

NOTE: If that does not work, then try right-clicking on cmd.exe and clicking "Run as Administrator ", then finish steps 2-4

Solution
Back