Windows 7 Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.

Chris Rule

Whenever starting up my computer running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit I get the error:

Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.

This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.

If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer.

I unplugged everything except my keyboard and still get the error. I tried running windows in safe mode and got the same error. I tried running system recovery but when loading it, it gave me the same error. I tried loading the Installation disc but after the loading windows screen, it just goes to a black screen and stays there.

I'm not sure what else to try, can anyone help?

Last edited:
Check your keyboard for stuck keys. That happened to me a while back and come to find out my control key was stuck.

I tried with another keyboard and then with no keyboard connected and i'm still getting the same error. When starting up it goes to the usual windows loading screen (though it takes a lot longer than usual) and then it goes to a screen with a grey progress bar and text saying windows is loading, all the while my computer is making a weird clicking noise that kind of sounds like it is getting stuck. Is it my hard drive that is faulty? I seen other threads saying about faulty hard drives before but if it is that then why can't I get the windows 7 installation disc to boot fully?

If it helps I just managed to get my computer to boot using a Linux Live CD. It lets me access the hard drive but it keeps making a weird noise and takes about a minute to load a folder.

Back