Windows 7 Windows Image Files

Cheemag

Extraordinary Member
Hello again,

Can I safely delete old image files made by Windows 7's Backup/Restore-Create a system image once I've created a fresh image ?

Regards,

Cheemag

Depends on how much disk space you have. The "industry standard" is to maintain the most recent three backup images (commonly called the three generations or grandfather, father, son pattern. This is because very often when you discover a problem (say a bad virus infection or bad update) and need to go back to an earlier image you discover that the problem already existed in that image and you need to go further back to an earlier one.

Just delete it. But u say "safely", I don't know whether u create image by the system or something else. If they were created by the same software, the new one will instead of the old one. I know one third-party software: easeus todo backup, one of the best backup software. the free version supports 8TB disk backup and it is enough for u maybe. It support differential backup and incremental backup, u don't need to worry about the "safely delete". Google it and u will find the official website. If u don't trust the Win7 backup, you can try it.

Well, honestly, if you are using backups created by Microsoft's built-in backup program in Win7--they are all completely worthless! :down: I would find an Image backup program that actually works, such as EASEus Todo mentioned by northangrywolf in post above. Also, Macrium and Acronis we've tested thoroughly from XP-W10.
Relying on those Windows created-backups will only cause you grief and data loss.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.:(
<<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>>

Depends on how much disk space you have. The "industry standard" is to maintain the most recent three backup images (commonly called the three generations or grandfather, father, son pattern. This is because very often when you discover a problem (say a bad virus infection or bad update) and need to go back to an earlier image you discover that the problem already existed in that image and you need to go further back to an earlier one.

I appreciate the generational problem ! However, after yesterday's imaging (sp) I noticed that the previous one did not exist, it had been replaced by the new image. I have 1TB on the image drive, so it wasn't short of disc space.

I use Easeus on the other two machines and keep three images. Just thought I'd try the built-in one for a change.

Regards,

Cheemag

Well, honestly, if you are using backups created by Microsoft's built-in backup program in Win7--they are all completely worthless! :down: I would find an Image backup program that actually works, such as EASEus Todo mentioned by northangrywolf in post above. Also, Macrium and Acronis we've tested thoroughly from XP-W10.
Relying on those Windows created-backups will only cause you grief and data loss.

<<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>>

<<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>>

Thanks to all three who replied.

Perhaps Easeus would be a better idea than the built-in one. I'll install it.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Cheemag

Back