Windows 10 Windows install on new drive

Adrianfu

I have had Windows 10 basically since day 0. My hard drive as crashed and have had to replace it. Unfortunately since the original win10 update I have lost, due to moving, the Windows 8 disk with the activation code. I have tried to reinstall Win10 from Microsoft's MediaCreation site with no luck. Am I doomed to running Linux or do I have to buy a new Win10 CD?

Adrian

Hi Adrian,
if you performed the upgrade procedure correctly then your win 10 activation key is stored online and is known as 'Digital entitlement'.

So now when you reach the activation page for Windows 10 you simply need to click 'I don't have one' when asked for the key.

The install should then carry on as per normal.

Windows will activate as soon as your online.

Thanks for the reply.
I did click 'I don't have one' when I installed. Win10 did install but then stopped at the activation page with an error message something like "Cannot activate installation" maybe not exact words.

Adrian

If you can't get past the activation you can use one of the generic keys to get past the screen. Then you'll need to change the key or try activation online

Generic Windows 10 Home TX9XD-98N7V-6WMQ6-BX7FG-H8Q99
Generic Windows 10 Home Single Language 7HNRX-D7KGG-3K4RQ-4WPJ4-YTDFH
Generic WIndows 10 Pro VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

If you don't know what you have use the home one

*NOTE these keys will only get you past the activation screen, you'll still need to enter a license or activate it by logging into a MS account*

Shame you can't remember that old activation key..

If it helps at all then you may find this loophole is still open:
https://windowsforum.com/threads/windows-10-free-upgrade-still-open-for-some.222598/page-2
I have the activation key on a licence sticker on the pc but MS would not accept the key. A few months ago I had to replace the motherboard but was same manufacturer and model has the one that died. Windows did ask to activate the software again but had no problem. This time with a complete reinstall on a new HD no go

Adrian

If you can't get past the activation you can use one of the generic keys to get past the screen. Then you'll need to change the key or try activation online

Generic Windows 10 Home TX9XD-98N7V-6WMQ6-BX7FG-H8Q99
Generic Windows 10 Home Single Language 7HNRX-D7KGG-3K4RQ-4WPJ4-YTDFH
Generic WIndows 10 Pro VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

If you don't know what you have use the home one

*NOTE these keys will only get you past the activation screen, you'll still need to enter a license or activate it by logging into a MS account*
Thanks I will try this morning. Otherwise it’s a 400km return trip to get a new CD

Adrian

I have the activation key on a licence sticker on the pc but MS would not accept the key. A few months ago I had to replace the motherboard but was same manufacturer and model has the one that died. Windows did ask to activate the software again but had no problem. This time with a complete reinstall on a new HD no go

Adrian
As your probably aware the windows licence is tied to the motherboard (considered 'the computer' by MS) and is not transferable even to a similar motherboard.
It sounds like you got away with it the first time and coupled with a new HDD is probably what negated the existing licence.

Now it might be worth (failing Neem's suggestion above) giving Microsoft a call. It's a while since I've had to do it but on the activation screen, if the activation fails, one of the options is to phone the activation in. You could try this route which should see you eventually chatting to an MS rep. If you explain that you had to replace the motherboard which has now made the licence defunct they may issue you with a new key.

Did everything I have been advised to do including calling Microsoft. No good. Microsoft guy was less than helpful and at times downright rude. All he wanted, after I explained what happened, was a credit card number so I could download a licensed copy. I don't have or want a credit card. So I am either stuck with a non operational PC or have to go Linux. Looks like I will be joining the Linux Forums.

Adrian

Sorry to hear you got a less than helpful person.

Did you check out the loophole I posted about?

Word is, is that it's still open.

Might be worth a try, I mean, what have you got to lose?

Yes I tried to download and install. Had to use a friends PC to download took the disk home and then realised I don't have a win7 or 8 disk to update from. The install still won't go past the validate page.
I now have an unusable pc
Adrian

What about your friend? Do they have a copy of Win 7 or Win 8.1 (win 8 won't work)

I thought you were going to use Linux or was that sarcasm?
No he doesn't have a Win anything disk, unfortunately.
No sarcasm meant about Linux but it's the only OS that works I have access to :)

Adrian

Hmm... When you phoned MS, did you actually phone an activation centre or just Microsoft support?

I'm wondering if you'd get a better service/response if you called an activation centre with the 'my motherboard died so i had to buy a replacement' story (which is basically true).

SOLVED: How to CALL Microsoft on the PHONE to Activate your Windows or Office Product - Up & Running Technologies, Calgary IT Services
I am not home at the moment but will try. I did call a support line. Number from MS website

Adrian

Unfortunately it’s for Win7. Had this pc for years. Same pc I bought 10 years ago just changed mb (twice), HD, cpu (twice) ;-)

Adrian

Last edited:
Unfortunately it’s for Win7. Had this pc for years. Same pc I bought 10 years ago just changed mb (twice), HD, cpu (twice) ;-)

Adrian
Same as above but for Win 7:
Download Windows 7 Disc Images (ISO Files)

Under OEM, licence is broken if:

Motherboard changed once

Or

CPU changed twice.

Give the above the try but it does look like your licence could well be borked.

Back
Top Bottom