Windows Vista Windows Installation problem

U

Unregistered

Hi
I have a Western Digital 320GB hard drive. I partitioned of 50GB. I have Windows Vista Ultimate x86. It gets to the 4th stage(installing updates) then it comes up with the error "Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. To install windows restart the installation."

What can I possible do. I have ran the advisor and it says my PC is compatible and I have quite a high spec PC. I have updated the bios and rebooted it to factory setting but it still doesn't work. Please

Possible boot virus?

Hi
I have a Western Digital 320GB hard drive. I partitioned of 50GB. I have Windows Vista Ultimate x86. It gets to the 4th stage(installing updates) then it comes up with the error "Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. To install windows restart the installation."

What can I possible do. I have ran the advisor and it says my PC is compatible and I have quite a high spec PC. I have updated the bios and rebooted it to factory setting but it still doesn't work. Please

I get the same error while upgrading XP

I spent 4 hours on the ohone with Microsoft and nothing....

Any solutions yet?

i am also having the same issue,

after it copies all the files to the computer (at the beginning of the expanding phase) I get this error. I have tried to install over a windows XP installaion, and then on a seperate partition, newly formatted NTFS. all this from inside windows.
I tried booting into the DVD, but all i get is that colourful bluey-green background. blank, nothing at all.

all my specs are okay.
and i'm pretty sure this is not a boot virus.

HELPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!

Yeah I am having same problem as you guys. Hopefully someone smarter and with more time can figure this out. I am getting sick of trying to figure out how to debug installations of software on a PC...

YES!,
I can't believe it I have it installed and working. This is amazing.

Thanks for all your help.

how`?

how did you make it?
any changes in bios or what?

Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. T

I am having the same problem. Computer is completely compatable and Vista ready. I am trying to upgrade XP, but no joy. I really do not want to do a clean install. Any help would be appreciated.

This sounds like a lesson in hardware to me. Keep in mind, depending on how old the computer your using is / box /, you may have to use eitehr FAT32 or NTFS to do the formatting and patitioning. Hardware is just picky ;-)

josh_rain

Here's what worked for me......

Go into file manager in XP and and show hidden system files.

Vista makes a directory on the C: drive called boot.

Rename it to backup boot and install.....

No problems....

This sounds like a lesson in hardware to me. Keep in mind, depending on how old the computer your using is / box /, you may have to use eitehr FAT32 or NTFS to do the formatting and patitioning. Hardware is just picky ;-)

josh_rain
It gets to the 4th stage(installing updates) then it comes up with the error "Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. To install windows restart the installation."

I had originally installed XP and tried to upgrade the O.S to Vista ulitmate. But was faced with the same problem, taking a daring step I deleted the partition in which xp was originally installed and the problem got solved. Formatting the partition did not help but deleting the partition solved the problem. I am writing this to share with others as I did not find any help when I was franticly searching on this topic

My system is a Lenovo product (free DOS) made for vista installation. At first I install vista without any problem then I downgrade the system to XP.
But now when I tried upgrading to vista again it got stuck while copying windows files (it's copying till 45 to 50 percent) then terminate the installation.
I have tried with new DVD also still the problem is the same.
My system hardware configuration is made for Vista, i.e. there is no system incomapatibility reason.

With the website named being "vista forum" hope to have expert solution on this?

Thanks in advance Guys

Hi Kaya and welcome to the forum. We are not exactly 'experts' but like you use vista and try to help anyone we can 'if' we can..:) As to your particular problem.. Have you tried to do a 'fresh install'? What I mean is change the boot order to Hard-drive first (instead of CD/DVD) and then formating the partition. You can then install vista into a clean fresh partition..
Please post back and advise

Back