Windows 8 Windows Media Center "Pack" Add-on Free Until January

Mike

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Add features - Microsoft Windows

At the above link, Microsoft is offering the Windows Media Center add-on pack to Windows 8 Professonal for free until January 2013. You can get a product key and activation instructions there. This feature appears as an optional upgrade to Windows 8 Pro under Control Panel -> All Control Panel Items -> System -> "Get more features with a new edition of Windows" for $9.99 USD.

Evidently keys are not being sent yet. I have requested a key twice on different email address. Nothing yet.

This is true. It is possible the system has been overwhelmed or not put into effect yet. However, reserving a key(s) now would probably be a good idea.

Best,

On another forum I moderate some have received their keys some have not. The ones who have gotten them sent a request yesterday.

Edit: About 2 minutes after I wrote this my key arrived. In process of installing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hang in there. It took mine about 6 hours to get to me. But I did get it and used it and now have media center.

Hang in there. It took mine about 6 hours to get to me. But I did get it and used it and now have media center.

Confirmed. After about 6-12 hours, check your spam/junk mail folder as well. The subject will be: "Your product key for Windows Media Center Pack"

I got mine in reasonably good time. The install needed a couple of automatic reboots and took a while but all now 100%

I have 2 PCs both running Windows 8 Pro, both licenses were bought under the same address. I wonder how I get this for both? I guess I'll try submitting for a second key when I get the first one?

For some it has been as much as 48 hrs for the WMC Key to arrive.

Cheers,
Drew
new_windows_logo1.jpg

I have 2 PCs both running Windows 8 Pro, both licenses were bought under the same address. I wonder how I get this for both? I guess I'll try submitting for a second key when I get the first one?
You have to request the seconds free license with a diffirent email address. Otherwise you'll simply receive the same key "again" as the first time...

Website now says up to 72 hours for key arrival. I got my first key, a couple of weeks ago. My second key (different e-mail address) is currently taking 6 days and no sign of it so far. Reapplied 3 days ago for second key.

I got my second copy of Windows 8 from Newegg. Considering the article I read about Media Center Keys validating certain types of installs, I wonder if there is a problem getting keys for Windows 8 installs not purchased and verifiable through Microsoft.

Oh, and using the same WMC key for a second install does not seem to be a good idea. Someone said you could call Microsoft, but it will deactivate the current Windows 8 install when used on a second computer.

Back