Windows 8 Windows media player

Status
Not open for further replies.

PattiChati

I keep getting popups telling me to update my windows media player library. Is this something I need? I don't watch movies, but do have pictures and will watch things on utube. Is this something I should just go ahead an update it? I don't want anything more than I need on my laptop.
If I don't update it, is there a way to stop the popups?
Thanks.

In Windows 8, Windows Media Player is barely accessible unless you intentionally launch it from the desktop. The replacement option for Start Screen users are the media apps like Music present on the Start Screen. Can you please confirm that you are using Windows Media Player (wmplayer.exe) from desktop mode? This may be the sync pop-up if you plug in a USB device, but its unlikely, given the lack of information you have provided. If you could provide a screenshot of your desktop, this would be helpful in further diagnosing the problem. If a pop-up appears that you do not understand, you should generally "X" it out to exit, and do not choose any options, until you can further understand the impact of what it is you are doing.

what do you use media player for actually? Here is my desktop. You said I didn't give enuf information, what else do you need to know. Thanks.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    938.6 KB · Views: 470
I was referring to a screenshot of the actual pop-up and problem. Preferably of the entire desktop and the program when this happens. I use Windows Media Player in Windows 8, and it is rare that I do so. I am trying to determine what could be the cause by visually seeing what is going on. If the problem started recently, it may have something t do with a product that you recently installed.

If you click the media Player, and then select "Organise", you can then open the "Library" Tab.
Perhaps if you untick the option "Retrieve additional information from the Internet", you will be less prompted.
Further down is another entry which you could untick "Maintain my start ratings..etc..

You may find that the prompt could continue for a while, depending on how much information it has already commenced retrieving.
But you could also check if you have the media player running in your startup programs?

i tried installing the update to media player and then ran a mse check and had 33 errors, so uninstalled media player all together. Should I not have done that. Should i reinstall it and then do what you said in your post above. if so, is there a particular site I should download it from or just pick any. I keep getting malware when I install anything. What will having no media player prevent me from doing?
I don't have media player in startup anymore also. Oopps - did i do something wrong already on my laptop?

1. We are in the windows 8 forum. You should be running Defender, not MSE.
2. Media player is included in Windows 8. If you suspect malware, I should ask, what was the source of your Windows 8?
3. " Should I reinstall it and then do what you said in your post above" No sarcasm intended, but that is why I posted! Accepting unchecked downloads like this, can easily introduce malware.
4. How did you uninstall? Through the Turn Windows features on or off, feature?
5. As Mike suggests, There are several third party players as good as media player. If you think it is a cause of your problem, perhaps you had best try one.

1. I am sorry, I did use Defender, just use to calling it MSE
2. I didn't suspect malware, just had the window pop up all time, so finally updated, not paying attention to the source. But since it was a Microsoft software, i wasn't suspicious.. I googled it and it seemed alright. After I did that, I ran Defender and that is when I had so many errors, so I used revo to uninstall all the junk it dropped in there and must have installed media player with it. Windows 8 came with my computer.
3. Microsoft media player didn't give me problems until it kept asking for updates. U said accepting unchecked downloads can introduce malware, how can I tell if it wasn't a safe download? As I said, since it was Microsoft, I thought it was alright.
4. I would like to reinstall it again, but was asking for your opinion as to what site is safe to download it from.
5. What do you need media player for?

Last edited:
Open the Control panel - programs & Features.
Open Top Left, "Turn Windows Features on and Off. Scroll down to media features and, in the sub menu, is the media player. Ensure both media features and media player are selected. Click OK. It will take a little while, but at the end, you will have the player reinstalled.
I would still recommend you try another player. Have a look here.

http://www.itechtics.com/free-media-players-windows-8/

Have a look at Para #9 here. There are many similar warnings of the dangers of downloading music etc. It is entirely up to you.
http://ist.berkeley.edu/docs/resources/security

I went to to turn window features on and off and media features and media player was already checked. It didn't take anytime at all. So that means it is still installed? How come when I go to "search" it doesn't come up?

Open the File explorer. Navigate to Program Files (x86)
Open the folder "Windows media Player"
Right click "wmplayer.exe" and "Pin To Start and/or "Pin to Taskbar".
Alternatively,you can right click it and drag it to the desktop, release the right click and "Create shortcut"

When I go to file explorer, this is what I get. There is no program files. Why would I need to create a shortcut? When do I need it?

Attachments

• file explorer.PNG
    file explorer.PNG
    104.4 KB · Views: 489
When I go to file explorer, this is what I get. There is no program files. Why would I need to create a shortcut? When do I need it?

The following will not solve your "popup" issue. But since you asked.....

I am using Win 8.1 Preview installed in Vmare player.
So, mine could be slightly different than yours. Even then, it should not matter.
On your screenshot, under Computer, you have a C: drive listed. Click it > what do you see ?

Now if you are using a 32-bit computer, you will see Program Files. Click open it.

If you are using a 64-bit computer, you will see Program files and Program files (x86)
Click open Program Files (x86) .

Either case, scroll to and open Windows Media Player folder > scroll down to find wmplayer > right click at wmplayer, you can choose to do one of the followings.........
1.click it to open windows media player.
2.click Pin to taskbar > which will have it pinned in your taskbar,
3. create shortcut > click Yes to confirm > which will have a shortcut on your desktop.

Why do you need a shortcut ?
Easy, fast access.
When do you need it ?
Windows media player has a list of all your music files. You can open it for selection.

okay, I found it. I don't have any music files! Pretty sad, huh? I would like to have some music so it can play in the background while I'm on computer. I have a bunch of songs I bought on my ipod, but not on my computer. Do you have to pay for the music or can you just download songs?

okay, I found it. I don't have any music files! Pretty sad, huh? I would like to have some music so it can play in the background while I'm on computer. I have a bunch of songs I bought on my ipod, but not on my computer. Do you have to pay for the music or can you just download songs?

I don't have ipod. Can't tell you how to download to the computer.
I am old-fashioned and I prefer old "hit songs" or classical music.
I can find most of them in Youtube.
There is a FREE Youtube to MP3 converter you can install.
I use the converter to download the music and store in my computer., and I can play them in media player.
Adding.... forgot. The download of youtube music is FREE.

Last edited:
I too like the oldies, but have to admit BonJovi is my all time favorite right now.
So I found the utube converter to mp3, but they talk about videos, not music. Isn't mp3 something other than a computer? I didn't know you could download music to your computer for free. I could just take a chance and download, but want to know what site to download from and then what else I have to do. Tell me more. Thanks.

I too like the oldies, but have to admit BonJovi is my all time favorite right now.
So I found the utube converter to mp3, but they talk about videos, not music. Isn't mp3 something other than a computer? I didn't know you could download music to your computer for free. I could just take a chance and download, but want to know what site to download from and then what else I have to do. Tell me more. Thanks.

This is the Youtube to MP3 converter I use, from a company called DVDVideoSoft...........
http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/products/dvd/Free-YouTube-to-MP3-Converter.htm#.Uf9DbbsrG2U
Click the blue Download button.

How to use it ?
Real simple.
Open Youtube > search for a piece of music you like > right click at the url (address bar) of the song > click Copy.
Open the Youtube to MP3 converter > bottom left, click Paste > bottom right is the Download button > when it is ready ( it turns darker black)> click it and it does the rest.
The downloaded music will be found in your Music folder.

Unfortunately, downloading copyrighted music from YouTube videos is still considered piracy by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) and can pose problems for this website with potential DMCA claims on circumventing copyright. Hopefully you are downloading royalty free music like Mozart's Turkish March. Either way, this thread has gone completely off-topic. As for ways to legally download copyrighted intellectual property for free, that is a discussion that is not permissible under our Terms of Service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back