Windows Phone 8 in hand

Drew

Banned
I am now a proud & happy owner of a Nokia Lumia 920 Windows Phone 8. Darn nice unit & what it can do. Wanted one & glad to have one. :)

Cheers,
Drew
Win8Logo (2013_02_06 10_30_24 UTC).jpg

Well, after having the phone for a while I can only say, it's a darn nice! Great camera, overall functionality is easy & intuitive to use (read, things are overt when it comes to figuring out what there is & how it's done). Seeing it in various lighting, even bright sun is fine, as for the features... too many to list or address but, I'm very impressed w/ them.
I'd recommend this phone to anyone w/out hesitation.
And that's my little 'Product Review'

Cheers,
Drew

Hey Drew! Cool to finally connect with someone here on the forums who has a Windows Phone. I've been with WP since it was released in October 2010. I've currently got an HTC 8X in California Blue and the Lumia 920 in white. The build quality of the Nokia is truly amazing, miles ahead of the HTC which I've had nothing but trouble with for the last 3 months. Sunlight readability is amazing, better than any phone I've ever used (including Samsung's Super-AMOLED PLUS). The camera is so great! As a photographer I'm constantly impressed by it's low-light performance. Social integration is miles ahead of any other platform, in my opinion.

What's your homescreen look like? You can take a screenshot with Win+Power.

Another thing I really appreciate w/ my phone is being able to add to the Calendar in (my) Windows 8 or to Calendar in Outlook and have To Do list and Reminders in my Windows Phone 8, AS WELL, w/out having to lift a finger. Or input to the phone 1st... it's just so handy, running about w/ busy lives & having everything so easily across multiple locations.

Cheers,
Drew

Honestly, be it my phone or my PC, I'm really not into 'APPs' too much. In my phone I have only added Skype, weather, a backgammon game & a billiards game (don't them very much or often, though). Most of the stuff I use is just 'standard equipment'... mail (both my personal Hotmail acc't & my POP business acc't; being able to have both in my phone certainly pleased me), Calendar, Music & Photos. For me, mostly, primarily, it's a phone but, a for that is a great help for business, appointments and correspondence. It's fun, useful & handy sometimes having a computer in my hand that can access the Net when there's a WiFi available.

Oh, & I really like the built-in GPS & map things! Terrific for quickly locating something or a route.

I sure like how well the screen can be seen or viewed even in bright sunlight.

I, also, like how well & easily my Windows 8 PC & Windows Phone 8 play together. Moving music or images between the PC & the phone is so effortless.

Cheers,
Drew

Do you have DRIVE+ beta by Nokia? It provides turn by turn directions for free. In WP8, Microsoft replaced Bing mapping data with NAVTEQ data (now owned by Nokia) so technically the entire mapping experience, regardless of the app (unless you're using gMaps pro) is powered by Nokia on all Windows Phone devices.

Damn the torpedoes and windows phones...just ordered the wife the Nexus 4. It'll be here in 3-5 days...now that's a phone.

Yes, Mitchell, Drive+ & Here Maps by Nokia. Do a very good job, very handy.

Cheers,
Drew

Adding to my Microsoft arsenal I met out and bought a Surface RT today... loving it and typing the message via it now. The integration among ms products is simply amazing now.

Very nice!! So that's the Surface, not the Surface Pro, correct. They are both nice units, though! You will enjoy it.

Cheers,
Drew

Yes, the RT version. It integrates seamlessly with all MS products, my Windows Phone and even went as far as to install my Kodak printer within seconds of connecting to my home network.

I guess I'm not officially a fan boy, although Windows Phone remains forever my favourite.

'fanboy' labels not withstanding or needed...

You are right, Windows 8 & Windows Phone 8 are cool stuff, do things well, quickly & easily and yes, it is a seamless joy how they & their devices play so nicely together.

And when it leaves enough of a positive impression, it's certainly cool to feel like expressing that.

And without being labeled a 'fan boy'. There is no call to try to taint something perfectly valid by deeming the source 'fan boy'.
That usually is (ironically) from people who chose to think one should not be enthusiastic about Windows 8 software & or devices.

Oh and we never yet mentioned, a phone that runs & surfs the Net as fast as any robust PC.

Cheers,
Drew

The same engine powering IE 10 in Windows 8 is present in the WP8 kernel. Blazing experience definitely. Now it I could just get more service living in the sticks, I'd be happy.

You're here in Canada, right? I'm assuming you got yours through Rogers?

Back