Windows 8 windows program file association settings not working correctly

citrix

Extraordinary Member
I recently found many application would not save to correct type. Some software icons would come out to a blank or white block, but those software actually there. For example, realrecorder is running, it would come out a white block on taskbar on bottom. I tried use 'access and program default' in control panel, still not fix the issue. Ms word, and word pad also come out white blank icon.

Any suggestions ?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 367
Last edited:
I think it is not the icon. why would icon for word pad, word, nero, and intel extreme utility, missing at same time? when I save a word file, it also become same white icon too. realdownloader is running but a blank command icon show on task bar.

Because the path to those icons has changed would be the most likely event i.e. you had them in the d drive but that drive is now the f drive or the folder has been deleted.

But those software are actually installed correctly. When I click on nero, nero would launch. When I click on slimcleaner, it would launch.

I just saved a jpg file, it come out a blank icon for file type.

Attachments

• Untitled -1.png
    Untitled -1.png
    183.2 KB · Views: 295
Hi

I've had this issue from time to time.
I don't know why but a program icon will just stop showing.

The only way I've found to fix it is to go into Properties and tell it what Icon to use.

Sometimes it will show the default icon at the start and you can just click on it and hit apply, otherwise you either have to track the icon down in the installed folder or just select one from the assortment provided.

I'm obsessive so I often make my own icons.

I find that using properties and applying icons to folders I access a lot in Windows File Explorer is a big help.
When you have a list of folders that's several screens deep, those colorful icons really pop out of the long column of yellow folders.

As for the .jpg file if you want it to show thumbnails go into settings and make sure that Always show icons never thumbnails isn't checked.

If you want icons do the opposite, and change one using properties and see if it sticks for all .jpgs.

Mike

Last edited:
Back