Windows 8 windows screen hz problem

D Silver

hello everyone, i have an issue with my hz that my computer outputs.
i've built 2 extremly highend pc's, both have this issue.
i've tried around 10 graphic cards both nvidia and amd with dozens of drivers & 7 different monitors.

EIST is disabled
all c states are disabled
hyperthread is disabled
temps look good
windows 7/8.1 core parking is disabled
windows 8.1 dynamic tick is disabled

my issue is my pc is trying to do 59hz on a normal 60hz monitor and it's causing extreme stutters with vsync on and games are COMPLETLY UNPLAYABLE with vsync off. (i get like 10 screen tares AT ONCE and not just once in awhile, it's a CONSTANT 10 or so splits that stutter super bad, what i should be seeing is 1 or 2 splits ONCE IN AWHILE, not 10 splits constantly)
an odd thing to note about this issue is the faster my computer is the faster this stutter happens (slowing my pc to slow the stutter is my only viable option at this point in time.)

i upgraded to a 120hz monitor and it shows the proper hz now for 120hz but i can clearly see this hz mismatch is still happening (100 fps @ 100hz is SMOOTHER than 120 fps @ 120hz)
so after this i upgraded to a 144hz monitor which is even better but the issue is still there, BUT at 144hz the stutter is so fast it looks like microstutters and not just big long stutters like before.
just the other night i changed over to windows 8.1 and the stutters are SIGNIFIGANTLY reduced compared to windows 7, until i install some windows updates in windows 8.1 then my operating system slows down and i start to notice the stutters more again.
also in my findings, every pc i've seen with this issue runs SIGNIFIGANTLY smoother with a 32bit os vs the laggy 64bit os despite the computers hardware which should run alot "better" with 64bit os, but it's the other way around.

i read another forum where some people that have this same issue were able to eliminate this issue using this fix
http://www.overclock.net/t/515256/windows-7-59hz-60hz-workaround-fix-in-here

this apparently fixes the issue and also fixes games being COMPLETLY UNPLAYABLE when vsync is off but i don't have a second monitor to try this.
i tried making a custom resolution using the nvidia control panel but the custom resolution won't apply or save.
does anyone know any other alternatives to this? and why is windows doing this?
also does anyone know why windows 7 is sooooo slow on these super good pc's? and windows vista and 8.1 are super fast in comparison? i would sure like to go back to windows 7 but the stutters are WAY to bad in comparison to vista/8.1 so for now i'm stuck on 8.1 until someone can help me out

Computer Specs:

Motherboard - ASUS Rampage IV Extreme X79
Processor - Intel Core I7 3930k, 6 core CPU
Grapics Card - ATI X1900 512mb
Ram - 16GB Ripjaws z 2133Mhz underclocked @ 1600mhz 9-9-9-24-1t
Power Supply - 1200 watt Corsair 1200i digital PSU
OS Drive - 2x 128GB OCZ Vertex 4's SSD'S in RAID0
Storage Drive - 640GB Western Digital hard drive for storage
Audio - Recon3d Fatal1ty Professional sound card
Monitor - 24", 3D, 144hz, 1920x1080p, LED, ASUS VG248QE
Mouse - Logitech G9x
Operating System - Windows 8.1 Professional 64bit

Last edited:
Hi

I'll say upfront that I can't be a lot of help!
My computer specs are very close to yours, with the exception of the solid state drive.

I can tell you I'm running an nVidia GTX 680 video card in Windows 8 with a 27" 144 hz Asus monitor and I don't have any issues. I'm not running V sync in any games.

I've also run the same computer in Windows 8.1 with no video problems, (I can't say the same for sound) so I don't think this is a Windows issue as such, there must be some other factor involved.

VideoSettings_zpsd57af8ae.jpg

I'm using a DVI cable to connect my monitor to my PC (necessary to run 3D Vision) what kind of connection are you using?

My computer does show 60 Hz, not 59.

I'm kind of surprised that the video card only has 512 mb of memory, my nVidia card has 4 Gb.

I don't think you can use nVidia control panel with an ATI card, is there a way to make a custom resolution with the ATI Catalyst utility.

I see that Microsoft says that this isn't a problem, but a lot of other people are having the same issues and don't agree.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2006076

My only other suggestion, and this is my fallback solution for everything, but go to Device Manager, uninstall your video card and reboot, let Windows reinstall it and select the default driver and see if it makes any difference.

Mike

Back