Windows Vista windows security essentials

I have been using this product over the last few weeks with no problems. In fact I have experimented with turning off one of the services to 'save CPU cycles' and everything except the update works fine (i.e. all protection works with the one service turned off). The one thing I do not like is the Microsoft 'spyware' inherent in the product. You must accept at least basic feedback to MS. I'm not sure how intrusive this is however. Otherwise the product works fine and updates are smooth.

I have been using it since the Beta was first released.
It uses very few resources. Dail definition update is quick and easily allows you to carry on with any other work, Internet or hard disk, whilst downloading and installing the definitions.
I was running Avast (Free), at the time of its innovation. IT found a couple of nasties that Avast had overlooked. But as far as that is concerned, different users have had quite different results.
But rememember, this is to be compared with a similar free anti virus product. It has none of the extras and frills of a complete security suite (Which you pay for!)

Windows Live Essentials

Hi

It has been several months since I removed this from my PC but here is my best recollection.

Run 'services.msc' and look for the live essentials services in the list. Right click on the service, click on 'properties' and disable. Reboot the computer and check that live essentials is working ok (except for the update).

Hi

It has been several months since I removed this from my PC but here is my best recollection.

Run 'services.msc' and look for the live essentials services in the list. Right click on the service, click on 'properties' and disable. Reboot the computer and check that live essentials is working ok (except for the update).

Maybe in the wrong thread, Jeremy?
The subject here is the performance of MS security essentials.
But, fwiw, the procedure for uninstalling is even simpler:
http://login.live.com/login.srf?wa=...fprof%3drequired&wp=MCLBI&lcid=1033&id=254354
Start - Control Panel - Programs - Programs and Features - Windows Live Essentials - Click change/remove

(It will then give you the option to pick which ''essentials" you want to remove. )

Worst Security I've tried so far. Couldn't catch Trojan Katusha and various unnamed malware. Had to re-install.:(
Excuse me but name a AV program that can catch everything, you must use all AV programs in conjunction with other programs such as Maleware Bytes, Super-Anti Spyware, Spy-Bot Search and Destroy and Spyware Blaster to name a few. MSE is a fine program.

Well God Bless America.....

Excuse me but name a AV program that can catch everything, you must use all AV programs in conjunction with other programs such as Maleware Bytes, Super-Anti Spyware, Spy-Bot Search and Destroy and Spyware Blaster to name a few. MSE is a fine program.

Windows should be able to catch "Malware".... Seems to me Microsoft is off and on with its protection. They must not FEEL like it now or something. Norton resented working with other security systems. They also thought additional security systems might damage the hard drive.

Maybe they should but by not doing so they have created a place for 3rd party software. Just think if the OS contained everything then where would companies that make add on programs to enhance the OS be. If an Individual is diligent and uses multiple Maleware and Spy-ware programs in conjunction with a AV program of their choice be it free or purchased and develops good surfing habits with good software update habits concerning their protection software most computers would be clean. It is because people do not do this that a lot of crap gets on their computers, this is not the fault of the OS but the user. I will even go so far to say that most peoples computer problems are created by the the six inches between their ears, however it is easier to blame the OS maker than to admit they may be the cause of the error.

Last edited:
The replies here all come together in saying that security and protection from various forms of attack is no simple business, has no one single solution and that weapon of choice will vary from one user to another depending on their computer and internet usage. This fact alone first says to me that the operating system should focus on operating the computer and should generally avoid imposing integrated antivirus features and firewalling on the end user who needs to assess his or her own needs according to their computer usage. Whilst some overlapping of functions is inevitable the industry should continue to maintain some differentiation between system software, utility software and applications software.

This means that protection is to be provided by additional programs which may be offered by both third party writers as well as by the operating system writers who are, of course advantaged by their intimate knowledge of the system's working. A responsible operating system provider should provide a default suite of software offering basic protection against various forms of malware for those many users who lack the technical skills to assess their specific needs but equally it must be possible for more technically savvy users to determine their own needs and configure their own solutions. The system software providers should make their users aware of the needs for security and should facilitate the implementation of a range of solutions but they should not be imposing their own solutions which may be inflexible and not in keeping with individual needs.

In these forums we have a major part to play in explaining the different threats represented by viruses, trojans, worms etc and the nature and purpose of the different solutions, both proactive such as firewalls and antivirus software and the reactive processes such as mbam etc. As is demonstrated in earlier posts, each of our experiences differ according to our various activities and those who have contributed to this topic, many of whom appear to disagree are actually in full agreement, contributing to the larger picture of security threats from their own perspective.

For what it's worth I personally avoid the "all in" solutions like Norton as they consume resources beyond their worth to me and they get in my way but for many they represent a fairly solid package solution to a range of threats. I am running MSSE, which I have found to be excellent, alongside the standard MS firewall which serves its purpose for me. I regularly run MBAM to check that nothing has "sneaked in".

I totally agree, I also avoid the all in one approach, I have Kaspersky AV on my Laptop Vista 32 bit, I have Avast Free on my machine in living room hooked to TV. I have MSE on my main machine. I also have Super-Anti Spyware, Spyware Blaster, Malware Bytes and Spy Bot Search and Destroy on my computers.
MSE did get good reviews from PC World Microsoft's Free AV Looks Good in New Test Results - PCWorld
Also read the following review for Internet Security software
Link Removed - Invalid URL
I prefer my own Combos of AV and Security software as I do not believe any One Security Suite can catch everything, the more eyes on the problem the better off your system is.

So far I've been using it on both mine and my Partners Win 7 x64 boxes and my sons WinXP pro box and it works great it's quick finds loads of crap when I'm online going place's i probably should know better than being at read "PRON" sites and otherwise doesn't waste a whole lotta resources whilst doing it's back ground stuff which is great :D

Back