Windows 7 Windows unable to start after computer being shut off overnight

Spurratica

Hi all,

I believe this may be a hardware issue and not a software issue so im posting it here. I could be wrong though. I recently built a new computer and had loaded on Windows 7. Everything appeared to work fine until i had turned my system off for the night. Upon turning my system on the next morning it boot up to the point of the login screen (But did not actually make it to the login, just a black screen with the loading ring) and then automatically restarted. On restart it tells me windows could not load correctly and then goes into the repair console. I attempted the repair, it asks if it can do a system restore, i agreed and a few moments later i get an error:

"startrep.exe - Application error - The instruction at 0xFa5265C9 referenced memory at 0x00000058. The memory could not be read."

After that it exits what it is doing. I shut down the system, restart it , and i seem to be able to login fine.

I had formated my system and reinstalled windows after it happened the first time. After reinstalling it, it seems to have happened again which is leading me to think its hardware. Possibly the RAM, not sure, maybe some smarter folk then myself can offer advice here?

Whats most confusing is that this error only occurs after being shut off over night. I have had my system off for over 2 hours and didnt recieve this error. Very Odd. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There might be a few things to consider, in such a situation. It does seem strange it is happening the way you say.

Do you have any timers on your system that might be causing problems, like Windows updating a 3 am?

When you say shutdown, you mean completely power down, right? Have you tried changing power supplies? Does unplugging the board prior to the first overnight reboot make any difference. If it really takes a prolonged shutdown period to cause the problem, my first thought would be a capacitor, but it should power up soon enough to recover. Unless the overnight always on power was allowing some part of the required memory to be lost. Your system time is correct, and you bios settings are not going away, so your CMOS battery is OK.

Are there any Errors or Warnings in the Event Viewer that might help lead to the problem?

Yes, when i say shutdown i do in fact mean power down, off completely.

Im not sure about the timed updates being an issue since my computer is off completely.

One thing i should have said is when this occured the first time. i didnt try to recover, i tried to go directly to the login screen and it failed again. I would assume after it restarted, the capacitor should have been fully charged so if it was a capacitor issue it would have been charged on the restart and i should have been able to log in no? or would the initial error from it carry over and bug up my windows?

I havent tried changing power supplies yet. Thought i would check in with the forums before i start swapping things out. The only error i can give right now is what i already posted. Unfortunately i am at work and do not have my system with me to check.

On an additional note, i have found some info on the net from someone having a similar problems as me. He mentioned an issue with USB drivers as the cause for the problem. Does any know if this issue?

Problem is still occuring. But it looks like i may have narrowed it down. It seems if i take the side of the case and restart the computer will boot normal. I don't think its a heat issue since it only happens on cold starts. Could it be something is in contact with the case cover and is creating a short? If i put the cover back on and restart it will boot up normally though. So i am not sure. Really confunsing issue.

Did this happen immediately after install or was it working for a while..Can you get into the boot screen or Safe Mode?

It had worked fine immediately after install on both times i installed/reinstalled windows (although the very first time i installed windows the case was off, The error first appeared the next day when i booted it for the first time with the case covers off). When this error occurs i can still get into the boot screen. The windows 7 loading screen appears, but it restarts when trying to load the login page. I have only managed to get into safe mode once, but it quickly started having errors and i had to restart. For some reason though, removing the tower top and cover seem to remedy this. Twice already now. When i get home later tonight (so it has time to sit, since this only happens after sitting for a while) i will boot it up with the case cover still off. If it starts up normally then for some reason there is an issue with something shorting to the case maybe? Also, the keyboard light remains on when the system is off, im pretty sure its just the type of motherboard or case that allows this to happen but i thought it may be useful to mention just in case.

"startrep.exe seems to me that it's trying to start Startup Repair.

Are you absolutely certain all your components that you placed in your built computer are compatible ?

Also, this system runs beautifully when it is in windows, no errors what so over. So i cant see it being a compatibility issue.

i didn't necessarily need to. When the problem first occured i thought maybe it was a software issue. I formatted my drive and reinstalled Windows as a precaution but this didnt solve the issue.

Did you perform a "clean" install?

The install was clean, my windows is legit, there are no issues there. I've got some new information that may shed some light.

I replaced the power supply with a more powerful high end one and the problem still persists so it isnt a power supply issue. Also, my theory about the case being an issue is wrong. It doesnt matter if it is on or off, the error occurs after long shutdowns.

I realized though, it was switching the power supply on and off on the back that is actually fixing the issue. When the error happens i need to switch my power supply on and off to kill power to the motherboard it seems (i guess since my keyboard light stays on when the system is off, the motherboard still has power on it). Only then will it boot up fine. So not exactly sure if this is a motherboard issue or not. still find it odd that it only happens after long shutdowns. Any opinions?

Same Problem

I am wondering if you were able to fix this problem, as I am having the same issue. I have RMA'ed the board after being told that it was a capacitor, only to have the same problem. I have placed the video card in another machine and have not had the problem. I, most recently as last night, have done clean installs and have had no issues until I turn the machine off for the night and reboot in the morning. I get to the log in screen and to the desktop for a few seconds, then get these errors.

WerFault.exe - Application Error
The instruction at 0xf8a196c1 referenced memory at 0x013e707b
The memory could not be read

click on OK to terminate the program

It then fails to a blue screen error which I attached for viewing.

I can drain the capacitors by unplugging the power and holding down the front power button on the case. It fires up after and I only have the issue if I turn it off for the night. Any help is much appreciated.

Attachments

• iphone1 009.JPG
    iphone1 009.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 967
  • iphone1 010.JPG
    iphone1 010.JPG
    1,019.7 KB · Views: 963
  • iphone1 011.JPG
    iphone1 011.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 1,008
I am wondering if you were able to fix this problem, as I am having the same issue. I have RMA'ed the board after being told that it was a capacitor, only to have the same problem. I have placed the video card in another machine and have not had the problem. I, most recently as last night, have done clean installs and have had no issues until I turn the machine off for the night and reboot in the morning. I get to the log in screen and to the desktop for a few seconds, then get these errors.

WerFault.exe - Application Error
The instruction at 0xf8a196c1 referenced memory at 0x013e707b
The memory could not be read

click on OK to terminate the program

It then fails to a blue screen error which I attached for viewing.

I can drain the capacitors by unplugging the power and holding down the front power button on the case. It fires up after and I only have the issue if I turn it off for the night. Any help is much appreciated.

Unfortunately no, i haven't solved this problem. After much troubleshooting i finally gave up. I had swapped out the power supply, video card, and RMA'd the motherboard, checked the ram, tried different slots and still have this problem. Although, if i can offer anything, These error's seem to be memory related, so maybe the RAM could be the issue. I never actually swapped it out with new RAM because i didn't feel like purchasing more RAM. I had also checked the list of tested RAM for my motherboard and my exact type of RAM was not listed as being tested( i had previously thought it was) It's a long shot but maybe there is a compatibility error between the board and RAM causing it.

Right now, i just let my computer go into sleep/hibernate mode when not in use. The odd time i shutdown i just switch the PSU off as well. So far i have avoided any errors by doing this so it's like the problem is non-existent. Denial is a beautiful thing :)

I would like to resolve this though, If you try swapping the RAM or actually figure this damn thing out, please let me know!

I will update you if I have any luck. I have changed the windows update time to 7pm as suggested by another site. See if that fixes it tomorrow morn.

Looks like we're all in the same boat... I'm having a nearly identical problem.

I just built a new computer 4 days ago and in order to successfully startup for the first time each day, I need to shut off my power supply or else I get a blue screen quickly followed by a restart. I've even been able to login a few times, but it blue screens after showing the desktop for 1-2 seconds.

I've replaced my power supply, reseated the RAM, and alternated PCI slots for my cards... to no avail.

Very strange indeed... :confused:

I have a cousin that works for a computer shop and I have yet to try these things, but he told me what it might be.

Windows 7 has issues with Logitech drivers and can cause this.

Video Card (Nvidia for me), can cause the crash if it is bad, due to not reporting enough power during checks that Windows 7 does periodically. This will not happen on XP or Vista if you try the card in another machine because only Windows 7 does this check. Draining the capacitors works because it is resetting the system.:confused:

Hmmm... well your graphics card doesn't happen to be a Nvidia GT 240 does it? That's what I have.

Although I'm using a Logitech mouse, I did not install any Logitech drivers/software of any sort (i.e. Setpoint).

Back