Windows 7 Windows Update Broken?

hawkeye62

Extraordinary Member
Windows Update continues to show updates KB2538242, KB2538243 as important updates and KB2512827 as an optional update. (I haven't seen any other updates for over a week.)
KB251827 and KB2538242 appear to install but KB2538243 fails with error code 64C. Then when I check for updates the same three updates show up. I have been through this sequence of events about 20-30 times.

I have tried a Fixit and a HotFix tool from MS with no change in the problem.

Please don't tell me I need to re-install Windows 7.

Thanks for any help, Jim

Hi Hawkeye,

Have you tried installing them one at a time, with a re-start after each of them?

Hi Hawkeye,

Have you tried installing them one at a time, with a re-start after each of them?

I just tried your suggestion. KB2512827 (Silverlight) installed with no errors. BUT, after a re-start, it was again listed as an optional update. I tried to uninstall it, but the uninstall failed because of a missing msi file. I seem to remember some method to remove programs that Control Panel uninstall couldn't uninstall. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Jim

To uninstall an Update:
Type Updates into Search box> it > View Update History > Top of the windows there is a link to removing installed Updates.
However, having an Update for Silverlight is not critical, anyway, especially when an Optional.
OR you can retry it.

Cheers,
Drew

This another reference you might go through.

How to troubleshoot Windows Update or Microsoft Update when you are repeatedly offered an update

If I got the correct error code, it means the following.

ERROR_INSTALL_SOURCE_ABSENT1612 (0x64C) The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it.

If the reference doesn't help you might try copying the WindowsUpdate.log in the Windows folder to your desktop. Copy the last few days (at least 3) of the log on the bottom and paste into Notepad. Then zip and attach using the paperclip.

I will also say, Windows Update does try to repair itself, but it can take several days if it can. And if you have not, a complete shutdown may be required for some updates to install correctly.

As far as Silverlignt, beside it being in the installed updates page, there is a folder on the All Programs area of the Start Menu. Running that opens a panel with update options, maybe it will help.

To uninstall an Update:
Type Updates into Search box> it > View Update History > Top of the windows there is a link to removing installed Updates.
However, having an Update for Silverlight is not critical, anyway, especially when an Optional.
OR you can retry it.

Cheers,
Drew

This may be the problem. I can't uninstall Silverlight because the msi file can't be found.

Thanks, Jim

This another reference you might go through.

How to troubleshoot Windows Update or Microsoft Update when you are repeatedly offered an update

If I got the correct error code, it means the following.

If the reference doesn't help you might try copying the WindowsUpdate.log in the Windows folder to your desktop. Copy the last few days (at least 3) of the log on the bottom and paste into Notepad. Then zip and attach using the paperclip.

I will also say, Windows Update does try to repair itself, but it can take several days if it can. And if you have not, a complete shutdown may be required for some updates to install correctly.

As far as Silverlignt, beside it being in the installed updates page, there is a folder on the All Programs area of the Start Menu. Running that opens a panel with update options, maybe it will help.

I ran FixIt and it said it had repaired a problem, BUT I still get the update failure. I really don't care if the three updates fail since I don't care about Silverlight or Visual C++, but I am worried that other updates might not be showing up because of this issue.

Thanks, Jim

Silverlight is a normal program and listed under the Programs and Features panel. Is this the uninstall you refer to as not being able to uninstall?

What .msi file it it?????

The errors you are getting may be related to what you think, or not... Work on the log please...

Silverlight is a normal program and listed under the Programs and Features panel. Is this the uninstall you refer to as not being able to uninstall?

What .msi file it it?????

The errors you are getting may be related to what you think, or not... Work on the log please...

silverlight.msi. Yes, uninstall in Control Panel > Programs and Features.

A log is attached. I did a recovery installation on Oct 16 and another one on October 25.

Thanks for the help, Jim

Attachments

• log.txt
    156.9 KB · Views: 536
As you already know, there are two C++ 2005 updates, KB2538242 and 43 being repeatedly checked. The first one is being installed, but the second one is failing with the error messages. Possibly because the system is not aware the first one is installed, the second one cannot.

KB982670 is the .Net update and seems to be waiting and may also be already installed.

I will have to assume your database has gotten out of sync, although the log seems fine except for the failure of the second C++ 2005 update. Maybe try hiding that update (KB2538243) to see if it helps anything.

I wish I knew the exact file or setting needed to change to straighten things out, but I don't. Since you can't uninstall just updates for C++ you may need to uninstall the entire thing. But that might cause problems, haven't done it. I do not see an option to repair, but it you start to uninstall and see that option, try it first.

The fact you get the .msi message from Silverlight might be indicative of another problem. I do not show a "Silverlight" msi file, but I do see some blank templates that are probably used for certain installs. And you could always uninstall Silverlight and start over with it. But if something is restricting access to some folder or the registry, it could make this type of thing happen. In some cases, anti-virus programs have been responsible.

If you continue to have database problems, I will be suggesting you rename your SoftwareDistribution folder in the Windows Directory. This will force your system to rebuild the entire database and download all the updates again, so it may take a while.

Edit: I don't suppose you are showing a KB2538243.log file in your Windows directory?

Last edited:
New Download Agent installed, no help. 2005 C++ hidden, no help. Silverlight hidden, no help.

If I could uninstall Silverlight and the Visual Studio stuff I would. But, uninstall fails with the error message about not finding the msi file.

No KB2538243.log file.

Thanks for the help, Jim

Last edited:
Sometimes if you can't uninstall something, you have to try to reinstall. You are looking For Silverlight 4 which is available on the Microsoft Download site. Perhaps that would download and install.

If you need the kb for the original install through Windows Update, it is KB2617986 and can be found at the Microsoft Update Catalog site. You may have to allow an Active X component to install, but then type in the KB number and do a search.

I am working on finding out exactly what is done during an uninstall. I have seen the file 93f66.msi mentioned, but the numbers may be different for different installs.

If reinstalling helps, try it on C++ 2005 also.

Edit: Just for the heck of it, you might try opening an administrative command window and typing the following with enter after. It would at least tell you if the installer program is working.

msiexec /?

It should open a separate window with the utility switches.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the help!

I gave up and did a restore to the factory state. Then I was able to uninstall Silverlight and 2005 C++ and 2008 C++. Then I did Windows Update until there were no more updates. (It took a long time to get all updates installed.) I found that Silverlight and 2008 C++ had been installed, but the problem of continually updating and a failed update every time is gone.

So, I guess there was a conflict with 2005 and 2008 being installed at the same time. I don't know why I couldn't uninstall those programs from the installation I was working with. Some where along the way, the msi files the uninstaller wanted got misplaced or deleted.

Anyway, everything looks good. I have everything I want for a base system installed and am ready to make a "Gold" backup image.

Thanks again, Jim

Glad you got it working, wish I could have found the problem. I will just assume it was being caused by the same thing that was causing the .msi situation.

I have C++ 2005 and 2008 installed on both of my machines and no problem has arisen...

I did three things differently on my latest restore, uninstall Silverlight and all 2005 and 2008 C++, let Windows Update install all updates including SP1, and did not run Ace Utilities registry clean. I don't know if any had any affect.

Regards, Jim

Well, it's always a good idea not to mess about in the Reg... things that do & clain to help, fix or be virtuous often result in something sad, unexpected & unwanted... stuff w/ names like Reg Doctor or whatever.

Back