Windows 10 windows update error code 0x800f0831

gorwyn

How can I fix windows update error code 0x800f0831? I can not access the command prompt Admin, it is not highlighted

We all have encountered this error while updating. There are many troubleshooting steps :
1. Type in the search box on the bottom of the screen Command Prompt, right click and select run as admin then type in it sfc /scannow and let it be completed, once done, restart your pc
2. Then type this another command dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and let it be completed. Once both of them are completed, restart your pc. Your issue should be fixed
3. If not fixed, you can update your pc using the Media Creation Tool and you are good to go.

How can I fix windows update error code 0x800f0831? I can not access the command prompt Admin, it is not highlighted

Hello gorwyn,

The 0x800f0831 error indicates your PC could not access Microsoft's Update servers or the update services stopped working. It appears when users try to update their system or download any available update.

The issue might occur if the update requires the manifest of a previous update package. Thus, you can follow the below steps to troubleshoot the issue,

Run the Windows Update troubleshooter:
  • Firstly, press the Windows + I keys to open Settings, select System from the left pane, and click on Troubleshoot.
  • Now, click on Other troubleshooters.
  • Then, navigate to Windows Update and click the Run button.
  • Next, let the Windows Update troubleshooter scan and detect the problems in your system.
  • Lastly, check for updates again.

Reset Windows Update Components:
  • Firstly, press the Windows and X keys, and select Command Prompt (Admin).
  • Next, run the following commands one by one and hit Enter after each command:
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop appidsvc
net stop cryptsvc
Del "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\*.*"
rmdir %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution /S /Q
rmdir %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 /S /Q
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start appidsvc
net start cryptsvc
  • Lastly, wait till the process gets completed.

Perform SFC and DISM scan:
  • Firstly, press the Windows key + X and select Command Prompt (Admin).
  • Then, type the command below and press Enter,
Code:
sfc /scannow
Note: Wait until the scan gets complete.
  • Now, type the command below and press Enter,
Code:
DISM.exe / Online / Cleanup-image / Scanhealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
  • Lastly, restart the system to check if the issue persists.

Disable Proxy:
  • Firstly, press Windows + R key to open the Run dialogue box
  • Then, type inetcpl.cpl in the run dialogue box and hit Enter.
  • Next, select Connections and then open LAN Settings.
  • Now, locate the Automatically detect settings box and mark it with a tick.
  • Lastly, unmark the Proxy server box.

I hope the above information helps you to resolve the windows update 0x800f0831 error. However, if the issue persists, you can update it here.

-------------------------------
Regards,
Rex M

Back