Windows 7 Windows Update Error

andyrp

Hi all, having a problem with Windows Update which is preventing new updates coming through.

Windows update scans for updates ok, and downloads them.
When I try to install I get the error:

Some Updates were not Installed
80070539 Windows Update encountered an unknown error

I've tried the help information that windows provided but got nowhere.

The wierd thing is, I tried to manually install the updates by downloading from Windows website, and the installers said that the updates were already applied. When I realised this I just hid the two updates that were stuck (Office 2007 Sp2 and another I can't remember).

However when I did another scan for updates it found 6 more, which also fail to install with the same error, one of which was Office 2007 Sp1.

Any suggestions anyone has would be very appreciated, if you need more info let me know.
Cheers,
Andrew

Running Windows 7, Build 7100, 32 bit.
Got the RC from the Windows website, not a torrent.
Also have Norton 360 3.0, but have tried disabiling the firewall.

Ok.... I did wonder actually if you were running such a thing...

I'm wondering if Norton is causing some issues? Have you tried un-installing it and then trying the updates?

I've had Norton installed since I put Windows 7 on, and other updates have been fine.
I've tried it disabling Norton and Norton Firewall. Do you think uninstalling will make any difference? (I'm not at home at the moment, will have to try it tomorrow)
Thanks for you help Kemical

To be honest Andy it's only a guess (an educated one at that) but Norton has been known to cause such problems in the past so it might be worth a shot.....

I don't think you need to concern yoyrself.
The message is normal and can occur if
1. You do not have the particular item for which the update is needed. For example, I do not use, and have not installed, Microsoft Outlook. I get that message for it's updates.
2. Perhaps the update is already present from another previous source. For example in your own case. SP1 is incorporated in SP2. If SP2 is already installed, the message would pop up.

Sorry for taking so long to reply.

@Rak: I'm not overly concerned by it, my only concern is that I might not be getting other updates that I need. I haven't had any new ones come through for a few weeks now.
One of the updates getting stuck is Office SP2, which I have already installed using the stand-alone installer. Which is why I suspect it is not scanning what updates I need correctly.

@Kemical:
After uninstalling Norton and rebooting, Windows Update scanned and said I had no important updates available, but did have one optional (a driver for my vid card, which is already installed).
I tried to install it and got the same error.
After re-installing Norton, Windows Update is back to saying I have 2 important updates (Office SP2, and Security update for C++ distributable), and the same optional update (for vid card).
None of the updates will go through, and get the same error.

Thanks for your comments
Andrew

You could try deleting the Windows Update Cache? If you haven't then here is how to do it.
Click "Start" and then type "services". Click the on the file called "Services" scroll down and right click "Windows Update". Choose "Stop". Now leave the services window open. Navigate to C/Windows/SoftwareDistribution and delete the Downloads folder.
Now go back to the services window and right click again on the "Windows Update" and choose "start".
OK now you have to do a restart of your computer.
Please note that this will mean that Windows Update will download the updates again.

Hi Kemical
I tried that, after downloading the updates I still got the same result when it came to installing them.
Thanks for your help.

This really isn't very helpful, but I understand there are problems when you update Office.

Try removing the Office Updates and see if that helps.

Hi reghakr,
I get the same error when I try to install just the Security Update for C++ Redistributable (KB973924).
I checked in add/remove programs and I think it is already installed, just like with the Office SP2 update that won't install.

I bit more info from 'View Update History'...
The last update that correctly installed was:
Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package (KB973923)
Installation date: ‎11/‎09/‎2009 7:49 a.m.

The Office SP2 update :
The 2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 2 (SP2)
Installation date: ‎3/‎09/‎2009 8:30 p.m.

So I can't figure out why it still wants install them.
Cheers for your help everyone.

That doesn't seem to install, it starts up and extracts contents etc, then just closes with no message.
If it makes any difference, I've already got a bunch of C++ stuff there (from Add/Remove programs):

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 ATL Update kb973923
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.21022
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.17

Cheers

Did you uninstall the previous version?

The only 2 have on my machine are Microsoft C++2008 Redistributable 2008 -x86 9.021022 and Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Beta x86 Redistrutible 10.020506.

I don't think the Microsoft C++ 2005 is necessary.

The machine runs perfectly without it.

I've removed C++ 2005 updates.
Then checked for updates, and tried to install, and same error.
Is it possible to find some Windows updates that have been release since my last successful update and trying to install it from a stand-alone? Just to see if that manages to go through alright.

Thanks for your help

Update: Just found out that I need C++ 2005 for AutoDesk Revit Architecture 2010, so have had to put it back on.

Last edited:
I've just been browsing and yes, I read that post which tbblount refers to, a little while ago??
If it is any help. There have only been three official updates from Microsoft, for Windows 7 (I am using the RTM, but I think it is the same). There have been quite a few for Office though. I have listed them for you to peruse. These were from a first raw install. There are a few unoffical ones floating around the web, but I have not bothered with them.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Last edited:
I still think it's those Office updates.

If you just installed recently, I would perform a "clean" install;

Not to be sarcastic, but what would you rather use............Office or your computer?

Back