Windows Vista Windows Update problem

U

Unregistered

I havent been able to successfully install a Windows update for a year now. When I search for updates, I get the error code: 800700C1. Also, I have been trying to install updates for my Norton Internet Security, and suprise, I havent been able to do that either. WHen I try to uninstall the Norton program, it says there was a problem authenticating your Microsoft Windows Installer. I have tried EVERYTHING on Norton's website to try and fix that problem, but no such luck. Please help.

I tried the link and that didnt seem to work. I have done the sfc/scannow before, but I am unable to locate the CBS.log in the command prompt. I have tried typing it in different ways, but no success. ANy advice?

I think I might be able to help. I've been having the Windows update problem from start on my desktop (Vista Business) and my laptop (Home Premium). After much digging I realised that this was a dual problem. Partly it is a Vista problem but also it's a problem with the ADSL modem/router.

Bear with me because I'm not a techie by any stretch of the imagination, BUT, both my machines now handle the Windows Updates with no problems.

Here's what I did:

1. Go to DrTCP windows tcp tuning and tweaking - dslreports.com download the program and run the 2000/XP version. The TCP Receive Window will be blank, leave it that way. In the MTU box (bottom right) enter 1400 then save and exit.

2. Reboot the computer and modem/router.

3. Go to ::. Kitz - Vista MTU .:: and follow the instructions there on how to change the default MTU setting from 1500 to 1400.

4. Reboot the computer and modem/router - VERY important!

5. Voila!

This worked for me perfectly on the desktop but on my laptop I still have to disable my firewall (Computer Associates) and re-enable after installing the updates, but at least it works.

Maybe some techie's can fine tune this to make it a lot simpler but I hope it brings you as much joy as it did me!!!!!!!

Back