Windows 8 Windows Update Service Is not Running / Possible Error with Startup

magreevm

I'll try to make this brief but descriptive.

Noticed that Microsoft Security Essentials had not received definition updates in 5 days. Tried to update manually through MSE interface and could not connect to server. Tried to find updates using Windows Update and received an error that the Windows Update Service failed to load and need to re-start.
upload_2014-5-20_11-3-43.png

upload_2014-5-20_11-4-0.png

Restarted - No results
Went to Administrative Tools > Services to restart the update service. - No Results
Downloaded the Fix-it from here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2730071 and these are the results.
upload_2014-5-20_11-2-35.png

I've reached the end of my knowledge base and have no clue what else to try.

Also, not sure if its related, but the startup sequence for my has been different for the last week. Below is the difference.

Normal Power On:
Power on > Dell Logo > Peripheral devices power on > Windows Logo > Windows Login Screen

New (and strange) Power On:
Power on > Dell Logo > Peripheral Devices power on > Windows Logo > Peripheral Devices power off and screen goes black > 5 second pause > Peripheral Devices Power On > Windows Login Screen

System Specs:
Dell InspironOne2320
Win 7 Home Premium (SP1)
Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70GHz x2
4GB RAM

1. Are you on a network i.e. does the wsus belong to Microsoft or someone else?
2. Is the client w7 machine registered or does it say build such and such in the bottom right corner?
3. Sounds like the client machine failed to boot after the update… What antivirus was running?

Microsoft manages updates and it is a registered version of Windows.

Antivirus is Microsoft Security Essentials (company required) and it fails to receive updates as well.

In "run" type services.msc

Scroll down and see if Windows update is on. If it is disabled, double click and select "automatic"

Last edited:
Windows was set to automatically download updates. I had already checked that the service was running and re-started the service.

It's functioning as if a program/virus/something is preventing updates. But I havent found anything running scans. Virus/Malware Scans completed with Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebytes, and AVG.

When you look at the Windows Update Service, wuauserv, the properties dialog contains a tab labeled Dependencies. You might check that and see if the services it depends on are running. Looks like RPD and DCOM Server Process Launcher, and RPC Endpoint Mapper.

Have you checked the Event Viewer for any warnings or errors related to the situation?

What type of Network connection do you have and have you made any changes lately? Is the connection metered?

You might want to copy the WindowsUpdate.log from the Windows folder to the Desktop, then copy and paste the last few days of the log into a text file and zip and attach.

When you look at the Windows Update Service, wuauserv, the properties dialog contains a tab labeled Dependencies. You might check that and see if the services it depends on are running. Looks like RPD and DCOM Server Process Launcher, and RPC Endpoint Mapper.

Have you checked the Event Viewer for any warnings or errors related to the situation?

What type of Network connection do you have and have you made any changes lately? Is the connection metered?

You might want to copy the WindowsUpdate.log from the Windows folder to the Desktop, then copy and paste the last few days of the log into a text file and zip and attach.

All dependent services for Windows Update Service are running. (checked that DCOM Server Process Launcher, and RPC Endpoint Mapper are running as well) Screenshot below.
upload_2014-5-21_13-24-19.png

Event Viewer shows this error more times than I can even imagine to count. I'm going to guess upwards of 5000 times. --> "wuaueng.dll (1136) SUS20ClientDataStore: Database recovery/restore failed with unexpected error -1011."

Connected to AT&T DSL via a wired connection. The connection is not metered and no changes have been made to the network.

Update log for 5/17/14 to Present has been attached.

**NEW SYMPTOM**
Power options set to turn off display after 10 minutes of inactivity. When awakened, everything is frozen and system must be shut off manually holding the power button.

Attachments

• Update Log 05.17 - 05.21.zip
    29.2 KB · Views: 673
**ANOTHER NEW SYMPTOM**

Tried to do a clean boot to eliminate the possibility of a 3rd party program causing the issue at startup. Could not access MSCONFIG through run or directly from a command prompt. Went to re-start, planning to boot into safemode, and after 20 minutes of "Please Wait" I got the BSoD. Powered off manually, booted to safe mode, entered MSCONFIG, set to clean boot, after rebooting still no access to MS Updates. Reverted back to Selective Startup (computer normally run in this mode).

Overall it might appear you are encountering some Corruption on your system. Several things might cause this but memory or a hard drive problem could be involved.

I found the thread below you might try to see if you can get the Windows Update problem resolved. One thing it does is rename the SoftwareDistribution folder, which is one step usually taken to clean up a Data problem.

Edit: You are getting this message over and over in your WindowsUpdate.log:

FATAL: Failed to initialize datastore, error = 0xC80003F3

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...security/27315515-db99-428e-a424-f5d1508f7ba1

You don't have to do a batch file, but up to you.

If you actually got a BSOD, if you can find the minidump file, attach here or in the BSOD forum...

Last edited:
I should have also mentioned, you might try running the System File Checker. Open an Administrative Command Prompt window and type the command below. Let it finish and see if it reports any unrepairable files.

sfc /scannow

Overall it might appear you are encountering some Corruption on your system. Several things might cause this but memory or a hard drive problem could be involved.

I found the thread below you might try to see if you can get the Windows Update problem resolved. One thing it does is rename the SoftwareDistribution folder, which is one step usually taken to clean up a Data problem.

Edit: You are getting this message over and over in your WindowsUpdate.log:

FATAL: Failed to initialize datastore, error = 0xC80003F3

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...security/27315515-db99-428e-a424-f5d1508f7ba1

You don't have to do a batch file, but up to you.

If you actually got a BSOD, if you can find the minidump file, attach here or in the BSOD forum...

I had the same idea just before I saw your post here. With all of the various symptoms and none of which really linking to each other I ran system diagnostics. Short DST was failed so I'm backing up all I can as it could go at any time.

However, that really doesn't explain the update services which were the reason for this post. Unless the Windows Update files are stored on a bad sector of the hard drive it doesn't make sense.

I ran the commands mentioned in the batch file listed above basically re-naming a folder and re-connected to update servers. Connection to both servers was successful. Windows update shows it has never received updates and is checking now so the Update problem is solved. I was also able to receive updates for MSE.
upload_2014-5-23_8-38-14.png
upload_2014-5-23_8-40-33.png
upload_2014-5-23_8-48-58.png

Running sfc /scannow produced no results.
upload_2014-5-23_8-21-1.png

**CONCLUSION**

I may be way off on this, but this is my understanding of what caused the problem. Correct me if I am wrong.

Windows update files were stored on a sector of the HDD which was not accessible due to a hardware failure. Running the following commands through an administrative command prompt created a new folder for windows update files on a working sector of the HDD making them accessible and re-established a connection to update servers.

regsvr32 MSXML3.dll /s
net stop wuauserv
cd /d %windir%\SoftwareDistribution
rd /s /q DataStore
net start wuauserv
regsvr32 softpub.dll
regsvr32 mssip32.dll

After the commands, Windows showed that it had never received any updates or checked for updates because of the new directory which was created.

Whenever you remove the Software Distribution Folder, the system will have to verify all updates. It might take some time to finish, but hopefully when it catches up it will be fully functional.

I will wait to see if you have any more indications on your system that might lead to a solution if you are having corruption problems.

Back