Windows 7 Windows updates question

silver04v

I'm pretty much a total noob to how windows works, etc. I know my way around enough but some things I'm unsure of. Like when the pop up comes up and says there are updates available.
One of them is IE9 and the other is a malicious software remover tool. I don't run IE9 but should I just update anyways? There's also two updates for other things that says they are optional. Should I just update everything? Someone once told me, don't pay attention to that update pop up and I feel maybe I was led in the wrong direction.
I just built my first machine and put windows 7 home on it. I'm loving it but I'm trying to learn as I go and I want it to continue to run well.

I do use IE 9. It is more secure than IE 8. I also install updates. The Malicious Software Removal Tool is offered once per month. When you accept it, it is downloaded and run. It is another AM app that has proven results. Many of the updates offered are security updates or useability updates.

Unfortunately none of these security apps will stop the worse offender of all. The user himself. How you use your PC is probably the biggest security risk. Do you visit questionable sites, do you download from questionable sites, do you use unknown CD/DVD's to get apps, do you open attachments, do you click OK on pop ups, do you read ALL info on downloaded apps (very few do)??? These types of things are serious security risks.

Don't be afraid of Windows Updates, be afraid of everything else.

IMO. Bad advice to ignore the update popup!
MS are trying to help and keep your OS secure.
Obviously, you have your updates set to automatic? If do, you have probably already installed quite a few standard security updates, without being aware.You can see from forums such as this, that users appear to have problems with updates. The answers often run into long threads. I have had updates on automatic, notify or ignore (and I manually do the job), in turn. I swear I have never, since XP, had a problem with any of those choices, and, frankly, find it difficult to simulate the problems.
However, following Ted's advice. It is your choice, regarding IE9. I also feel it is superior to IE8. But if you have apprehensions about it, right click and select hide. You will then not be troubled with reminders. The Mailcious Software Removal Tool is good to have and will do no harm, only good.

'silver',

Ok, forgive me or please allow me but, I can't hold back, I have to throw my 2 cents worth in on this one; I state it thusly cus what the others have (already) said is spot on.

I deal w/ clients all the time that don't know what to update or not, what to download or not. There's no denying, finding info & know there are questions to ask and what those are, make things tough... certainly (most) retailers don't tell buyers much. That said, here's the basic rule or thumb...

KEEP UP TO DATE!
Applies to the following:
Microsoft/Windows Updates - ALL Importants or Criticals. (this is not open for debate)
Most Optionals are not required, hence the name but, it's best to ask someone in the know.
By the way, most Updates are security related, a few are functionality. Ergo, NOT doing them leaves one vunerable to security risks.
Microsoft Security Essentials basically looks after itself.
Please note!... The Auto Updates only apply to the Criticals, not the Optionals. And MS Updates & what MSE does (to protect your system) by default happen @ 2 & 3 AM. The machine cannot be powered off for these things to happen (by themselves); can be "Asleep" but, not OFF. Otherwise, you have to change the default times or (remember to) do everything manually.

Java
Adobe
CCleaner (versions)
Browsers
And
Malwarebytes should be updated before it's run.

Now, speaking of browsers... yes, it's absolutely true, as the other 2 said, IE9 is FAR superior to IE8. BUT, you never mentioned IE8, you only said you are not running IE9. I can't tell if you are (STILL) running IE8 OR if you are using some other browser than Internet Explorer. Be that as it may, I will be a lot more blunt & bold enough to say, you should be using IE9... simply because it is arguably the best browser currently available.

On the heels of a comment Ted made... This is a comment of mine, taken from a thread in the Microsoft Windows 7 IT Pro Forum where I, also, write...

There are certain basics & best practices that must be met or exist... being/keeping current, good A-V, good A-M, good firewall, only good surfing & downloading activity et al, absolute 'givens' AND correct, NO platform, NO Operating System, on the Net, is immune or untouchable & yes, the misconception came from when some things had small footprints & sickos & criminals didn't give those much attention. But, beyond the 'givens', the biggest threat & weakness regarding security is the (all too often & sadly naive, unaware or even thoughtless) user. Somehow the messages of prudence just don't get to most users. End Users must know there are concerns to have, required tools to have & schedules to keep but, DO they know to even ask the questions or have the cares OR what to do if they did?? The single biggest, indullable, most challenging "Security Risk" & hardest to mitigate against OR educate is computer Users.

And lastly I urge to to read & keep (for future reference) the following, http://windows7forums.com/tweaks-gu...-potentially-useful-valuable-compilation.html

Regards,
Drew

I would like to point out a (possible) couple of miconceptions there.
"Most Optionals are not required, hence the name but, it's best to ask someone in the know. "

Wrong. If, for example, you are running MSE, your virus protection will rapidly run out of date.

"Microsoft Security Essentials basically looks after itself."
Unfortunately, it does not. It still regards definition updates as "optional", so you must decide yourself if you want them, as above.

"And MS Updates & what MSE does (to protect your system) by default happen @ 2 & 3 AM. The machine cannot be powered off for these things to happen (by themselves); can be "Asleep" but, not OFF. Otherwise, you have to change the default times or (remember to) do everything manually."
As far as I am aware, according to your selected update option, these are actioned on first establiishing an internet connection.

One minor disagrement. On my system (never turned on at 2 or 3 am) my MSE signatures do update w/o WU:

MSEUpdates.jpg

Notice my signatures are updated, but my PC was turned off approx. 9 pm EST last night and turned on approx. 5:30 am (EST) this am. (Today's updates were accomplished manually just prior to starting a manual scan but yesterday's were installed automatically)

A lot of good info. Thank you. I will keep up on the updates for sure. I figured ignoring them was kind of silly.

Maybe someone can answer another question for me so I don't have to start a thread.

Backups, I'm being asked to complete one and from what I understand it will just make a backup "image" of how the computer is at the specific time of backing up in case anything went haywire, I could go in and use the back to restore to a good point? Or am I way off. I'm thinking of backups on android stuff here, and didn't know if it was the same deal.

If needed should I make the backup onto a dvd disc? I don't know how big a backup file usually is. Is there a special way of copying it to the disc? Iso? or just a regular file?

I seem to have stumbled across seeing that windows 7 has its own iso burner built in? Right click an iso file and it will give me an option to burn an iso?

Before I answer 'silver'...

Dave, maybe I didn't say it well but, that when I said MOST and if one is insure which Optionals to take, ask someone who will know. Certainly, MSE definitions must be done. Excuse, if, I wasn't clear enough about that but, thanks for clarifying.

Yes, 7 will burn .iso files natively. That is handy when, for example, Microsoft offers forthcoming Operating Systems for beta testing... the OS is an ISO & has to be burnt to DVD. We used to need added 3rd party software to do this task.

Backups can be done to discs or to an external hard drive. This is one's 'safety net' in case the machine ever fails, crashes or the its HDD fails; even, if data is kept of a separate partition, is that a physicallydistinct drive from the OS, likely not. YOUR backup is personal & current, not factory settings.. to save & safeguard things. Sys Restore is not to be confused w/ backup. There are choices in Backup... where, how often, full image or just new/changed files.

Cheers,
Drew

Last edited:
One minor disagrement. On my system (never turned on at 2 or 3 am) my MSE signatures do update w/o WU:

View attachment 16884

Notice my signatures are updated, but my PC was turned off approx. 9 pm EST last night and turned on approx. 5:30 am (EST) this am. (Today's updates were accomplished manually just prior to starting a manual scan but yesterday's were installed automatically)

Absolutely no disagreement from me there, Ted. I think the difference may be that I have mine set to notify bur only download on my request, so this is what I get in my update notifications.

other programs question?

This is definitely helping me understand updates. So thank you all for your time. One more question for now.
My friend that helped me suggested I install and use Advanced System Care free 4.
I breifly have been skimming some starter threads and found one that says stay away from anything that claims to "fix" things. This one scans for malware, registry issues, junk files, and some other stuff I can't remember at this time without looking at it. What's your knowledgeable opinions on using this software? What would I use to get rid of junk files, clean the registry, and the other stuff it does in place of it if you think I shouldn't be using it.

Re: other programs question?

The app I have read the most about and use all the time is CCleaner. This app works well for cleaning common temp file areas, and also, IMO, does a great job of cleaning the registry. I have never had a problem with this fine app. Just do a Google search for CCleaner.

I have never heard of the app you mentioned.

Again, I will support what Ted has said...

Use only CCleaner www.ccleaner.com It is terrific! Use it lots for cleaning 'junk' + Internet Options & the Clean-up I described in the article I pointed you to earlier. Uncheck Jump Lists in CCleaner.

SpywareBlasrer from JavaCool is, also, ok. SpywareBlaster® | Prevent spyware and malware. Free download. Just use the FREE version which, has to be updated couple times/wk manually. This does not have anything to do w/ the Registry, just helps get bad stuff from getting in the machine.

It's best for you not to be messing w/ the Reg or bothering w/ things that say they do.

Cheers,
Drew

I have an "important" update that came up.
Update for Office file verification 2010 kb2553065, 32 bit edition.

I have windows 7 64 bit so this is confusing me? What does this update mean?

It is referring to the edition of Office 2010 you have installed, not the OS. You apparently have the 32Bit?

Most Office installations are 32 Bit. MS makes the 64 Bit version difficult to find because it is not recommended for the average person. I suspect as davehc has suggested you, like most of us, have the 32 Bit edition of Office and this update is most appropriate.

Back