Windows Vista Windows Vista Administrator promlem.

BIGDANW

Hi there,
I have Windows Vista Ultimate installed on my computer, It works fine ecept for when I try to install some video drivers it comes up with the message "You Need To Be In Administrator Mode" half way through the installation. I went and checked and I am in administrator mode, there is only the one account on this computer and its the administrator one.

How do I fix this, Its quite urgent.

Thanks,
BIGDANW

right click on the exe file and select "run as administrator"

Even after right clicking the .exe file and running in administrator mode the message still pops up saying "You Need To Be In Administrator Mode".
Any other suggestions?

Try taking full control over the file by right clicking the .exe and go down to propertys then go to the surcurity tab and see if the file has full admin controls. If not try ticking the boxes im not real sure mate. But when i have an error like that saying i need to be in admin mode i just right click and run as admin works fine for me

I just tryed that and it didnt work ether,

I uploaded a video to youtube

Dose anyone have anymore suggetions?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Try this.
Delete that copy and download a new one to either your documents folder or downloads folder. Then un-install the old driver (whilst windows update is turned off... Don't forget) Reboot. Try installing new copy and you 'should' be good to go.
If that doesn't work and you have UAC enabled, try turning it off and then install...See how you go. Good luck!

Ive tried what you suggested but it still keeps coming up with the same message.

Any more suggestions?

Hmmm....This is a weird one.. Ok, have you tried turning off the 'User Account Control' (UAC) and 'then' right-clicking on the driver and choose 'run as administrator'?

Have you tried opening system devices, right-clicking on the card and choosing properties. Then clicking 'Update Driver'?

What about booting into 'Safe mode'? You normally can do this by pressing F8 during the boot process and choosing safe mode from the resulting menu.

Thats all I can think of for the present, let me know if you need more help.

Right.....he he, I looked over your three suggestions and when I tried your third option, using safe mode we got someware, A different error, But were getting closer and maybe we can solve this one.

I set off the installation in safe mode, before it would load up the setup then come up with the message ("Need To Be In Administrator Mode...") When it tried to install it, Now it loads up the next part that its ment to go on to but it comes up with a message saying I sould run a Standard VGA something (maybe console I cant renember).

What sould I do about that.

Something is not quite right here... You should never have all these kinds of hoops to jump through.. Please indulge me and list your computer spec followed by the driver your trying to install. Please give as much information as you can. Thanks :)

I looked at the guide for changing the administrator account and did what it said but that didnt work eather, I really thought that would though.

Here is the infomation for my PC:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+ 2.00GHz
RAM: 767mb
System Type: 64 - bit Operating System
Resolution: 1024x768

It is Windows Vista Ultimate that I am running.

The Video Card is a Radeon 9250 AGP, and im having a problem installing the drivers for it.

Everytime I do I get the message
"Setup will only run in administrator mode. Setup is now aborting."

I have tried right clicking and selecting run in administrator mode, I have tried going to User Accounts and turning off the UAC, All that has been suggested previously I have tried.

When I ran the setup in Safe mode it didnt come up with the administrator mode error, it went past that point and came up with another error about the VGA settings.

If you want anymore infomation just ask.
Thanks.

The Video Card is a Radeon 9250 AGP, and im having a problem installing the drivers for it.

Instead of doing the auto-run right click on the CD in My Computer, go to Explore, right click the setup file and choose Run as Administrator

If that doesn't work, get the latest driver at:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Be sure to run as administrator. :)

I would try as Bios mentions above as you shouldn't have to go through all this hassle just for a driver. It should be a relatively painless experience and rather straight forward hence my remarks. Where are you getting the driver from? CD or download? Again, as suggested by Bios, try a different copy if all else fails..

Actually I've just seen it's a AGP card... :eek: How old is the motherboard? I'm starting to get the hunch we may have an incompatibility here... Perhaps the system is too old for Vista? I'm not saying this is the case but maybe needs exploring. I'll have a check with the info provided and see what I can find..

Ok, most websites say that the card will not run under Vista nor provide support for the Aero interface. I did find a driver for the 'Beta' version of Vista so try it if want, you can get it here:
Link Removed - Invalid URL
If you scroll down to supported cards yours is there. The only other option is to upgrade the card to a later model. If you 'Google' your card, looking for drivers, you'll soon see what I mean.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but hey you never know the driver above may work. If it doesn't at least you know why.

Hi there,
I have Windows Vista Ultimate installed on my computer, It works fine ecept for when I try to install some video drivers it comes up with the message "You Need To Be In Administrator Mode" half way through the installation. I went and checked and I am in administrator mode, there is only the one account on this computer and its the administrator one.

How do I fix this, Its quite urgent.

Thanks,
BIGDANW

I had that problem when I finally had to get vista because of my customers upgrading.

Mine involved a driver and some files to a program I wanted to uninstall. That made mad.

And it caught me at the wrong time. I selected the root of c: and added myself as administration for the whole drive.

Now before I get a flood of you messed up. Microsoft tries to take more control out of our hands with every introduction of an os.

I left that administration account active. I just put myself in the same class. This is my laptop. Not Bill's.

Back