Windows 10 Windows & webdav protocol.

Predjee

Honorable Member
Situation:

NAS connected to network.
NAS is reachable trough intern and extern networks.
Firewall has it webdavs ports open (5005 / 5006)
Router forwards the ports to the NAS his static IP.

HOW can i connect to this network externally WITHOUT the use of third party programs?

When i go to explorer and right click on network ---> create network and i choose a drive letter and fill in:

\\DomainName@SSL@PortNumber\DavWWWRoot\

It does not work... why? :(

I tried many other things (straight to IP for example, DDNS, etc etc)

please help!

If you're using the quick connect setup, you should only need to forward the https port you have declared to access it. This guide details setting up DSM / quick connect. Service & Support - Synology - Network Attached Storage (NAS) once that part is working you would need to verify the NAS has a static IP on your local network segment outside of your routers DHCP scope. Then you would need to set a port forward From Port (Can be anything) TCP to To Port( the https port defined in the NAS) For example sake lets say your publicIP is 174.13.24.30 you can get your public IP from What's My IP Address? Networking Tools & More then you would, in a web browser, type in https://174.13.24.30:<From Port> so lets assume you left it 5001. https://174.13.24.30:5001

Did you read my opening post? :)

NAS connected to network.
NAS is reachable trough intern and extern networks.
Firewall has it webdavs ports open (5005 / 5006)
Router forwards the ports to the NAS his static IP.

Mate, are you for real or just trolling?

EVERYTHING you say, i posted in my openings post as already tried.

YES i try to use NO third party programs (is ALSO said in my OP)

So for real?

are you trolling?

No, I'm just trying to get a sense of what you want. Why do you want to access it that way? It wouldn't be as secure that way.

And if you're trying to access it with \\dns_name then your computer will use SMB which is port 445

Ok sorry, i had a long day trying to fix this thing :( spend my whole day on it. I dont mean to be rude, but i just tought you where trolling me ;-)

What i try to do is find a solution where i can connect 6 workspaces together.

3 use windows
3 use macs

Internally, everyone can reach the nas. everyone can connect to it.

Now i want to build a solution where everyone can connect externally to the NAS.

I want it all as smooth as possible. The best option would be building VPN, but i am not ready for that yet, because i have no clue (yet) on how to do that.

The solution i am trying to find, is that everyone can connect to that NAS, as if they connect just to any other harddrive/networkdrive.

I also want to add drive mapping.

webdav would be a good solution (i tought) because it is supported by windows/mac/linux.

According to some articles i read, it should be possible bij using the line:

\\DomainName@SSL@PortNumber\DavWWWRoot\

but for some reason it WONT work externally (that line DOES work internally)

:)

Edit:

I have also setup DDNS via synology itself, but using DDNS does not work either :(

Edit2:

I have management acces externally so the nas is reachable externally.

There are a few reasons this probably isn't working external. As I stated trying to access a resource with \\ uses SMB, even webdav does and this would be a bad idea to open SMB externally since it's not encrypted and frankly I don't think it will even work over the internet. I think it would be easier and quicker to setup a VPN. This is what I use as my firewall and VPN Free Home Edition Firewall - UTM Home | Sophos Free Tools it's actually pretty easy to setup and the VPN client works on Windows / Mac / Linux all you really need is an old computer with two NICs to get it setup.

I found this:

WebDAV is an extension of HTTP designed to let users edit and manage files stored on remote servers. With Synology DiskStation Manager's WebDAV service, client programs that support WebDAV, such as Windows Explorer, Mac OS Finder, Linux File Browser, will be able to remotely access a Synology NAS just like accessing a local network drive. This tutorial will explain how to enable WebDAV on your Synology NAS and start accessing files from anywhere.

But maybe i should just go with VPN then.

The nas can run its own VPN server, but i have no clue where to start. ESP with those MAC users.

For VPN to work, doenst everyone has to be in a LDAP domain or something similair?

No, many VPNs can be setup to authenticate locally to the VPN server. You will want to setup an SSL VPN if it's supported. IPSec VPNs don't play nice with NAT.

I have set up a VPN server.

I know it works, because i can connect to it with my iphone4.

But in windows it does not work... do you know why?

I use L2TP/IPSEC

Have you tested it on Windows outside of your network? It won't work connected to your network

Yes. I have checked the port forwards a million times as well.. Many people looked at it, and it appears to be a windows level issue.

my iphone4 connects to it, and i can verify that connection because on the VPN SERVER i can see 1 connection.

Just tried it with my firewall off... no effect.

it gives this error:

45szZ6lU.jpg

Well if the phone works, I would focus on the configuration in Windows. Did you use the built-in VPN or a 3rd party client? I would also double check the settings are identical on the client and server sides.

Back
Top Bottom