Windows 7 Windows Won't Boot (Repeatedly!)

-tr

Hi there. Earlier today my computer 'froze' (cursor was still active but firefox and then explorer got the shady, frozen screen, screen) and I had to manually power it down. Upon restarting, I hit 'start windows normally' and it then loaded through to the windows 7 logo screen and froze.

Anyways, this is the third time this has happened on this computer. The first time was on the 7th of this month, then I reformatted/installed and had no problems. Happened again a week later and I reinstalled and dual-booted with ubuntu. No problems with that up until today when it happens yet again.

Amongst these downtimes I've tried the startup repair options available on the recovery partition and startup disc except system restore, which every time has said that there were no restore points available (which, stupidly, I never checked or made a manual restore point but I know there should've been points from the months prior to the first incident and from before windows updates). I've also ran windows memory and hard drive tests, memtest86 on each individual stick, and many passes with all installed, as well as western digitals hard drive diagnostic.

So at this point, I'm thoroughly stumped. :confused: Does anybody here have any ideas or ways to narrow it down to software or hardware? Thanks in advance.

Specifications:
Windows 7 RC Build 7100 x64
- Ubuntu 9.04 x64 dual boot
EVGA X58 SLI MB
Intel i7 920 CPU
6 GB OCZ 1866 DDR3 RAM
1 TB Western Digital HDD
TX750W Corsair PSU

Are you running the latest bios -tr?

Oh, and have you tried running in 'Safe mode' and seeing if the freezing still happens?

Are you running the latest bios -tr?

Oh, and have you tried running in 'Safe mode' and seeing if the freezing still happens?

There is a new BIOS version which I'll be updating in a bit.

The first time I booted into safe mode it froze at classpnp.sys and then these little colory pixels started flashing across the top of the screen and a minute or so later there was a BSOD. After that the normal boot, and all the other safe modes got a BSOD. :confused:

Hmm...let's hope the bios revision proves to be the cure.

Hmm...let's hope the bios revision proves to be the cure.

Negative. After the BIOS flash I got the same BSODs in Windows boot but everything worked fine in Ubuntu. Then I went to just reinstall yet again and it was giving me some weird problems (those colory pixels at the top of the screen during the 'setting up your desktop' and then it restarts itself, doesn't recognize the HDD afterwords).

It worked the second time though and am now able to boot. Only thing is that with how recurring this issue is, I have a feeling I won't get much more than a week before it does it again.. :frown::mad:

I did some checking on classpnp.sys and it seems it's got something to do with your HDD. Try running a chkdsk and see if it'll repair any bad sectors (remember to check the box for repair)..

When you successfully get booted, click "Start" and type "v" and click Event Viewer.. click Administrator under "custom views" and view your logs. It' probably tells you what's going on. Probably your drivers are hanging or conflicting.

If you can't figure it out you probably need a clean install... if you have upgraded from Vista.

I did some checking on classpnp.sys and it seems it's got something to do with your HDD. Try running a chkdsk and see if it'll repair any bad sectors (remember to check the box for repair)..

I haven't done that this time, but I ran it several times from the startup disc when I couldn't get it to boot. About half the time, it would go through and fix a couple things just fine (with no effect to the booting) and the other half it would find some corruption or something and try to fix it but ended up just repeating the line indefinitely.

Also while the windows boot fails, ubuntu is still fully accessible and I can view/manage my windows files through it.

When you successfully get booted, click "Start" and type "v" and click Event Viewer.. click Administrator under "custom views" and view your logs. It' probably tells you what's going on. Probably your drivers are hanging or conflicting.

If you can't figure it out you probably need a clean install... if you have upgraded from Vista.

The problem is that when it happens I am not able to boot into any mode to be able to look at the logs. Looking at them now there's nothing major, just a bunch of browser warnings, ICS related errors, and some power management errors saying it can't go into sleep/power down the monitor etc. (which I think is just because I haven't updated all my drivers).

Last edited:
I was having the problem where it was freezing at the loading screen as well. I believe it was some probably with something silly in the bios. Aha! Yeah disable usb keyboard use in the bios and see if it will boot up then. :p Unfortunately you will need an old school keyboard, or an adapter, but this fixed the problem for me.

Everything for this computer was purchased in June so theoretically (and according to the WD diagnostic) it should still be running perfectly.

You could try Kyles idea but it's starting to look like that your only option is to re-install :frown:

You could try Kyles idea but it's starting to look like that your only option is to re-install :frown:

I tried that after it froze again today, and it didn't work. Looks like I'm going to have to stick with ubuntu from now on as I'm not putting up with reinstalling once a week. :mad:

Man this is such a shame.... I wonder what the hell the problem is?

-tr why not try wiping the HDD with something like 'KillDisk' which will return the drive to factory condition (sometimes it's called 'zeroing the drive') .
Then load up win7 and see how it runs. If it's ok, create the needed partition and install the other os?
What do you think?

I tried that after it froze again today, and it didn't work. Looks like I'm going to have to stick with ubuntu from now on as I'm not putting up with reinstalling once a week. :mad:

Again... have you read the Administrator logs? It's got to be an issue with drivers.

Well, it seems that it actually is a problem with the HDD. I booted up ubuntu and started moving some files around and it locked up and went absolutely berserk on trying to restart. What I don't get is how it partially corrupts the data only a week or two after formatting. And then there's the fact that chkdsk and the Western Digital Diagnostic found no problems with it.

Anyways, I'm off to borrow an HDD from walmart and setup an RMA for this one. I soooo should've went with two faster drives.. :frown:

I know that when a HDD starts to go, it can take ages to track the problem down.. You end up going round and round (like you were doing and I've done so:) in the past) until eventually a process of elimination finds the culprit.. I just hope that the problem has been found and you can get some progress on this....:)

HDD regenerator

Well, it seems that it actually is a problem with the HDD. I booted up ubuntu and started moving some files around and it locked up and went absolutely berserk on trying to restart. What I don't get is how it partially corrupts the data only a week or two after formatting. And then there's the fact that chkdsk and the Western Digital Diagnostic found no problems with it.

Anyways, I'm off to borrow an HDD from walmart and setup an RMA for this one. I soooo should've went with two faster drives.. :frown:

HDD Regenerator... miracle program. But if your drive needs it.. it's time to get a new drive.... this can usually make repairs that will make it possible to get your data backed up.

Hmm..sounds interesting.. I'll check that out, thanks for the tip :)

Back