Windows 7 Windows XP 32bit to Windows 7 64bit

Can go from a 32 bit op to a 64 bit. Can do a clean install clean means wipe hard drive clean but to get activated need to use information, posted web site earlier. Will need to do a registry change and then will activate ok.

I would try this first stick in 64 bit windows 7 and let it get info it needs and then format the hard drive before install 64 bit. This will a clean install for 64 bit.

If need to can wipe hard drive clean and then install 64 windows 7, will work fine. If go this route look at info posted earlier ==== Paul Thurrott's super site for windows clean link posted earlier or click on search info link
What ever way you choose to go can upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit and will be able to get activated one way or another using info posted earlier.

The way Microsoft wants you to do it say have xp 32 bit and want to go to windows 7 64 bit put 64 bit disk into machine and let windows get info from earlier install and then should get a chance to format hard drive and then install 64 bit on a clean hard drive as a CLEAN install or upgrade.

If you read info from Paul Thurrotts web site the information will become clear to you.

But as I said earlier will be able to go from 32 bit to 64 bit and get activated one way or another.
When Microsoft learns they cannot treat there customers as criminals then every thing will be much better. Hope they learn soon.

So if you have a problem with hard drive in future and need to wipe hard drive clean will need to install old operating system to reinstall windows 7 the way microsoft wants you to do it. But you still have other options to install if read info from link posted earlier.

Last edited:
Hey guys, well I know I arrived at the post late but in case anyone else has this question, as per Microsoft's Site

"If you want to move from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows 7 or vice versa, you'll need to back up your files and choose the Custom option during Windows 7 installation. Then, you'll need to restore your files and reinstall your programs. For more information about performing a custom installation, see Installing and reinstalling Windows 7*."

the 32 bit to 64 bit question

After tons of weird answers that don't really answer anything, here is my offering:

Regarless of whether you are running 32- or 64-bit XP if your processor is 64 bit, you CAN do a clean install of 64 bit win 7. Your processor is the sole thing that determines if your os needs to be 32- or 64-bit. I hope this helps!

Re: the 32 bit to 64 bit question

Jesus Christ! 90% of the answers here are absolute nonsense. Guys, no offense, but if you have no clue what the user is asking, just don't reply. And learn better english as well...
The guy started the thread by asking a VERY SIMPLE QUESTION for crying out loud. He is wondering about the Upgrade Version as opposed to the Full Version.
The Clean installation is another thing and the user made it a 100 times clear that he is aware about it and that he wants to know has to do with the Upgrade version and whether it's the right one for him...

...and yet...3 pages of absolute stupid answers...

Anyway, my friend the answer is Yes, you should buy the Upgrade Version and Yes, with that version you can "convert" your 32 XP to 64 Windows 7.

Last edited:
Re: the 32 bit to 64 bit question

Jesus Christ! 90% of the answers here are absolute nonsense. Guys, no offense, but if you have no clue what the user is asking, just don't reply. And learn better english as well...
The guy started the thread by asking a VERY SIMPLE QUESTION for crying out loud. He is wondering about the Upgrade Version as opposed to the Full Version.
The Clean installation is another thing and the user made it a 100 times clear that he is aware about it and that he wants to know has to do with the Upgrade version and whether it's the right one for him...

...and yet...3 pages of absolute stupid answers...

Anyway, my friend the answer is Yes, you should buy the Upgrade Version and Yes, with that version you can "convert" your 32 XP to 64 Windows 7.

Thank ****in God someone in here has half a ****in brain! It took me 5 minutes to get registered just to tell the rest of you complete morons to stfu unless: ONE; YOU CAN read AND comprehend english! TWO; You know what you're are talking about! THREE; You've read the entire thread!

Thank you "businesshouse" and "Hjordis". You two kept the thread of hope I have left for this country alive.

ok I've just been trying this:
I have XP 32bit and want to move to Win7 64bit - hardware is compatible.
I have purchased the Win7 upgrade disks (includes 32 and 64bit setups)
64bit setup doesnt run from 32bit xp (of course) so you are advised to bootup from the win7 64 disk - BUT as this is only an upgrade disk it does not boot! (for me anyway) even after forcing the cd drive as only bootable device.

So it seems in conclusion the answer to the question the original poster had is:
it seems you will need to buy a full installation license - ie more expensive option.

however someone previously on this post mentions beinig able to boot froom the cd, so maybe I am not doing something right? - eg should I boot fromt he 32bit upgrade disk first and then get an option somewhere in the install process to swithc to the 64bit install?

thanks!

At Jefe,

I can't remember for 100% certainty that I booted from the Win7-64 bit disc, but I believe so. I CAN tell you that without a doubt I had the same situation and the same question and I without a doubt was able to install the upgrade Win7 64 bit version onto my 32bit xp based pc. That said, I believe that "our" (yours and mine) win7 "upgrade" disc is probably just a full win7 program at a reduced price that will only install over xp. Don't ask me how microsoft does it, I don't know. Like I said though, you can go from 32bit xp to 64bit win7 with the cheaper upgrade disc. I did it. Wish I could help more, but I'm in my car on my smart phone. Maybe some pc guy can clarify but don't buy the full version, the upgrade will work. Maybe youtube it?

Peace

Hi,

The upgrade discs are bootable.

It must be something to do with your system.

Do you get "press any key to boot from cdrom"

If you get that - the dvd is bootable.

It might not load - because of the win 7 ahci.sys

A common workaround is to boot into another pe - e.g. vista - then put 7 dvd in the drive - navigate to it and run setup.exe from there.

Thanks for the responses - and sorry for the confusion guys, I'd messed up when trying to boot from disk - forced the wrong ROM-drive as the bootable one!! Doh! :redface:
So I was eventually able to complete the installation and like you (last two posters) proven that the move from xp 32bit to win 7 64bit is definitely possible with the "upgrade" disk set. Assuming of course your machine is 64bit architecture!:cool:

Hope the original poster finally had his question answered - thanks to those of you who helped me - was worth sifting through some of the irrelevant posts which didnt answer/understand the original question! ;)

gracias!

one other bit of info forgot to mention which may be of use to those considering this - the "custom" install used in this situation doesnt actually remove any folders/files you have on the HDD - except for windows specific ones such as "Program Files", and Profile related ones - eg you dont have to backup all your files as long as you keep them in a separate folder on the C: etc.
It also saves a lot of your old profile stuff on a separate folder called "windows.old" so you can still get access to your old files such as Outlook .pst's etc. after you've done the upgrade.
Just thought knowing this it might save someone a fair bit of time, as I'd spent ages in advance uneccessarily (as it turned out) backing up gigs of info onto an external HDD!.

saludos!

Ha, The dvd dell sent me for upgrade to Win 7 64 from Vista 64 was identical to a full version ultimate except 1 file ei.cfg in sources folder
I just wiped the disk and done clean anyway. I keep most my stuff on separate drive and back that up to external

guys, I spoke to soon! :( while install worked, now every time I boot up now I have to go through a lengthy checkdsk run which attempts (and largely succeeds) to address a no. of disk errors - different ones each time seemingly.
However not sure if this is ever going to be fully resolved and I'm getting sick of having to wait each time I boot up.
So here's the questions:
- has anyone had this problem after going from xp32 to Win7 64? (or indeed after any other win7 install/upgrade).
- if this turns out to be due to a problem I've inherited from when my machine was on XP and I then have to do a clean install - can that be done with my "upgrade" disks?
I'm hoping I wont have to do a clean xp install first and then go through the upgrade again?

hoping someone can help - many thanks in advance.

guys, I spoke to soon! :( while install worked, now every time I boot up now I have to go through a lengthy checkdsk run

Morrow of that story as has been mentioned
NEVER UPGRADE, thats BS, and I really don't care who say's it is ok. They have problems they don't even know. Even seen this from 1 mod at How to geek has trouble no one else has yet he say upgrade is ok. DUH heres your sign

If you wipe the disk you carry none of the problems from a previous installation, provided you don't have disk problems

I have really done full install XP, Vista, 7 like a hundred times a piece debugging stuff for an app I have, I wipe the disk each time. Same good old Samsung has seen it all and still ticking.

guess I'm lucky, nope if I was i'd get 6 numbers right and be in the bahamas

EDIT: yes Upgrade disk OK for full Install

Last edited:
you're 100% right! upgrades seem like a good idea but always best doing completely clean install - I've done it now and everything flying. :)
when I bought the disks I wasnt sure I could do a clean install from the upgrade set - else I'd have done it first off.

So take note everyone - yes while you can you can use the "upgrade" disks to go from xp 32bit to win7 64bit - DONT F'ING BOTHER! cos chances are you will inherit problems - and its no more hassle to do the clean install (in my case a lot less!).

thanks all for the knowledge sharing!:cool:

saludos!

That is also my question. I know that you can't upgrade existing 32bit OS with 64bit OS without clean install, that is logical. But I have Vista Home Premium 32bit and XP pro 32bit and for me is cheaper if is possible to buy upgrade option, Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Upgrade and Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade. But question is, can I use upgrade option for clean 64bit install, or license is connected with current 32bit OS?

Yes, you can use Upgrade media to perform a clean install.

Back
Top Bottom