Windows 7 Windows7 Backup won't burn DVD-R

Arkwright

Hi
New HP Laptop with Windows 7 - Windows Backup software doesn't recognise DVD as writeable, but Windows7 Explorer writes just fine to the same DVD-R.

If I do
Control Panel>System and security>Backup and Restore
click on Backup Now
....this gives "Backup in progress..." bar - gets to about 25% and stops with the message
"Insert Removeable media
"Windows backup needs a CD\DVD or USB drive to continue" (even though there is a DVD-R in E:\, to which I have just successfully burned a very small test file using Explorer. E: shows on Backup pane as being selected as destination drive).
If I click on "More information" another dialogue box pops up with instructions to
"Label and insert a blank media
"Please write the following label on a blank media and insert it into E:\
"FREDDY 02/01/2011"
even though there is a labelled disc in there.
(Of course that's a bum instruction from Windows anyway - it won't accept forward slashes - but that's OK - I label it without those. Still doesn't work.)

If on the other hand I just select a file in Explorer and burn it ends up on the DVD no problem. With that same successfully burned DVD - Backup will still not recognise the DVD-R.

I can use a DVD-R with a small test file burned OK to it, or a virgin disc from the box - makes no difference......

:confused:

Hope someone can help.....!

Last edited:
hi

Was there not a recovery disc that came with the laptop ?

I use a netbook which do not come with a recovery disc so i used an external cd/dvd writer burner that successfully burned mine which took 3 discs. Perhaps you could try an external drive or back up your o.s to a big enough usb drive.

Also if you visit the manufaturers site they sometimes offer a full recovery dis too

I cant help but I do have exactly the same problem but on a HP Pavilion laptop I bought in 2010. I have tried several times to back it up to DVD and get to around 25 or 26% copmplete and have exactly the same issue.

I also would like help if possible?

Back
Top Bottom