Windows 7 Windows7 DHCP error faulty cable

jomo252

I have just recently bought a new HP625 Windows7 prof machine and I am unable to get IP address from zyxel router, I get the error message unable to contact DHCP server if I try a ipconfig /renew. However other computers work fine in this room but they are not running Windows7. I have disabled the IPv6 but no difference, but strangely this computer works fine in another room. The network point is new in the faulty room that only works with the vista machine, if the cable is not quite terminated correctly will this effect windows7 more than other OS

It is almost certainly not a cable issue. The cable is at layer 1 of the ISO model and if it were a problem you would not be making connection at all. The fact that you are getting a message saying "unable to contact DHCP server" (which operates at layer 7) would imply that the layers below (including the physical layer 1) are functioning. Have you tried making a connection by making manual IP settings instead of using DHCP?

What does it mean to do an ipconfig /renew and get this?

An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.
An error occurred while releasing interface Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1 : The system cannot find the file specified.

And is it the same problem? (My router is linksys)

went back yesterday, the vista machine was running really slow at this stage, dropped the auto negotiate on the ethernet card to 10mb full and it was fast as on internal and external traffic, tried same fix on windows7 machine and still no connection.
Bought cable tester and got errors at both ends, re punched wall socket then just got error at far end. Looked at the RJ45 connector to see that pin5 and 6 were the wrong way round (dear husband had done this), re did rj45 connect tested and all fine. Windows 7 machine now a happy bunny.

Back