Windows 7 Windows7 hangs after 10-30 minutes

AsusUser

The system hangs after 10-30 minutes. No actual BSOD error - however, requires reboot. Cannot access task manager to view/kill tasks at that time.

Most of the critical and error events in system event log appear to be networking related. Last 30 days of system log are attached.

System is stand-alone laptop connected to home network.

Drivers and BIOS have been recently updated.

I can provide all normal BSOD logs and dumps upon request. However, system has been hanging up quickly - possibly less time than it would take logs to run.

Thanks in advance!

Mitch

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
OS Version: 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
OS Configuration: Standalone Workstation
OS Build Type: Multiprocessor Free
Original Install Date: 9/24/2010, 3:04:47 PM
System Boot Time: 7/13/2013, 6:05:15 AM
System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
System Model: UL80Jt
System Type: x64-based PC
Processor(s): 1 Processor(s) Installed.
[01]: Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5 GenuineIntel ~1199 Mhz
BIOS Version: American Megatrends Inc. UL80Jt.211, 5/31/2010

Attachments

• system.zip
    451.1 KB · Views: 350
I am not the expert here, but I found the following in your log. If you say it might be related to networking, perhaps it could be caused by the network adapter and its power setting options, but I am only guessing.

You might check the net for the error, or go back to ASUS and ask them.

ACPI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to write to an illegal PCI Operation Region (0x4), Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

I googled the ACPI issue and it appears it's common with ASUS laptops especially during instances of idle when the system lid is closed. I'm not sure it's relevant to this.

What kind of freeze are you experiencing? Does the cursor not move when you move the mouse? Does the system become increasingly unresponsive until the freeze, or is it a sudden spontaneous hard lockup? Do you see any activity happening from the disk I/O light on the laptop (the one that blinks when the drive is being used) while it's frozen?

It sounds like you have some faulty hardware, which is the common cause of hard lockups.

Try turning off your wireless on the laptop and disconnect it physically from the network if it's running through ethernet. Does the system remain responsive longer than usual? If so, try turning on the wifi and see what happens afterwards.

Saltgrass, This does seem to be networking related. I wasn't able to find any actionable information on the ACPI issue. I do appreciate your hep on this - and hope that by attaching additional files (W7F Diagnostic Tool; CPUID; could not get RAMMon to run) that you might be able to provide other ideas.

Vir, If left on long enough, it will lock at the screen saver. However, it has also locked before the screen saver. When that happens, networking no longer works and the wireless icon in the bottom menu no longer works either (can't click on it). Also, at that point, the system will not perform a graceful, normal shutdown and requires a hard reboot. The disk I/O light is usually active during the freeze. Not clear if it gets less responsive prior to the freeze. This problem does not seem to happen at all when disconnected from all networks.

Thanks in advance for the extra look. The attached files might help more.

Mitch

Attachments

• W7F_07-09-2013.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 868
Hi Asus:
Have you run exhaustive hard drive diagnostics? I've seen this problem this year in at least 3 different computers, Acer, Asus, and a Dell. In all cases but one, the result was a faulty hard drive. I noted the build date on your laptop and it's coming up on 3 yrs. old. That's the "red-zone" for laptop hard drives. They often begin to fail just before 3 yrs. or just after; right around the time your 2 yr. or 3 yr. Extended Warranty runs out--by design!

I spend 9 weeks figuring out the Acer Aspire version of this failure-mode, and went so far as replacing the Motherboard, and it still didn't fix it! I ran all the diagnostics on several Tech forums and all the experts told me it was misconfigured driver software, wrong versions, incompatability, blah-blah-blah. I'm not saying that proper analyis of this problem won't point to a hardware replacement recommendation, but a lot of Techs online are software guys and they are not used to saying "pull the trigger already, and replace the suspected component!". If your laptop was less than 1 yr. old it's very unlikely this is the problem. But, as hard drives age and are subjected to physical abuse (dropping, spilling coke on keyboard, etc.) they fail sooner than there stationary desktop cousins--most people know this through common sense.

In your original post #1; system.zip, the Event Viewer shows multiple warnings and critical failures on "disk" in both the Application and System events logs. That's in addition to the networking issues. Consider that both application software and networking components get their information from the same place--stored files on the hard drive. If your hard drive has exceeded the Reallocated Sector Count or has been overtemped, you may have permanent flaws on the drive, and software cannot recover from that. When information that is written to the hard drive cannot be read back exactly as it was written, you get all kinds of data crc errors and apps crash! When the app is windows HAL or Kernel file, then bad things happen like repeated freezes, hangs, and soemtimes BSODs *which you're not getting*.

I couldn't extract your W7F file, so it may be corrupt; but in your specs you don't even mention your hard drive make/model. That's probably the most critical part of your laptop--besides the Motherboard maybe..no hard drive, no windows=no love.

I'm just saying don't ignore this as a possible solution, and investigate your problem with an open mind. Do this in parallel with pursuing software anaylsis for sure--just don't ignore the hard drive as a possible culprit. I tore my hair out on that Acer, just trying to save you the from doing the same.

Let me know if you need advise on which hard drive diags to run. I am familiar with just about all of them.

Luck.

BIGBEARJEDI

If your system is stabilizing from being disconnected from network, then try this: first test system stability using just wireless connected. After a while of using it under those conditions, turn wifi off then switch to wired ethernet and test using that. See which one is causing the problems. I'm leaning on it being the wireless.

Btw, what's the deal with your Symantec AV? I see a lot of errors coming from it about not being able to load and stuff. If there's a messed up AV on your system that can easily wreak havoc on your system's stability. Probably best to do a full uninstall then reinstall.

I noticed a good bit of stuff on your system has not been updated, notably your BIOS and motherboard drivers. See about going onto the ASUS website and doing update on all your drivers and BIOS.

BIGBEARJEDI & Vir Gnarus, Lots to do from all the suggestions above and, as I had hoped, one of them was a home run. I turned off wifi (and disabled the wireless adapter - on a hunch) and the BSOD problems stopped. My guess is that the wireless chip either is failing or has failed. When I enabled the wireless adapter again and turned on wifi, the problem reappeared. Since then, I bought an inexpensive USB wireless adapter, installed it and no more problems.

I'll keep looking at the other items both of you identified (especially Symantec) to see what else could be the next BSOD cause.

Thanks again. The forum is great.

Mitch

Sometimes there's a bug in the wifi driver that never gets resolved which cripples it. I'm not sure your wifi drivers are updated so make sure they are, along with everything else on your motherboard, since those can affect stability as well (this includes BIOS).

There's also a number of times where I've seen it crash when connected to specific routers, notably ones where they have UPnP (Universal Plug & Play) enabled on the router. Try tinkering with your router settings and turn this off it present. Sometimes it affects network presence for network printers so be aware of that (you can always turn it back on). Have you ever noticed this system being unstable when connected to other networks? Perhaps it's some problem between your wifi in your notebook and your home router, such as what has been aforementioned.

Mitch: you're welcome, glad we could help! Sometimes the WLAN mini-circuit board inside the laptop gets hosed up as Vir mentions, and also they can become cooked due to overtemp inside the case, in terms of a laptop; but, this same problem can occur in desktops as well. The embedded LAN chip on the Motherboard can fail, but all other functions will still work. Check the case temperature, make sure your fans are operating normally (no whining or loud noises), blow out the fans, and all vents regularly. You can check your internal temps with CPU-Z diagnostic or via your BIOS if your Motherboard & case have sensors built-in.

Your solution of disabling your internal WiFi device and plugging in an external USB wifi adapter, is one I've used many times the last few years when this occurs.

Glad your problem got solved! :)

BBJ :usa:

Hopefully his wifi problems are not conducive of more underlying issues with the motherboard, in which case he would need to return the system and get it fixed - provided it's under warranty. Normally when I see certain components bug out on the mobo, it means the mobo itself is biting the dust.

Win 8's wireless compatibility really is a big problem. I have one of the latest version of D-Link USB wifi adapter that works perfectly with Win 7. But when I tried it on Win 8 it's not working at all. Went to the manufacturer's website to download Win 8 drivers. Nothing! My solution? Powerline adapters. Fast, stable, flawless.

@badrobot: That's not surprising! Any networking stuff D-Link makes is crap, IMO! :eek: I've been running into their stuff for 20 yrs. and tried to get them to pay attention to updating their drivers to the newest Windows version at their Corporate HQ. I was shown the door! They are always a day late and a dollar short. Not a first tier nor a first choice networking technology vendor for sure. Whenever I run into their products, I immediately replace them with quality name brand products such as Cisco-Linksys, Netgear, Belkin, Hawking etc. :serious:

BBJ

Back
Top Bottom