Windows 10 Windwos 10 Cant find Steam.exe

teemosama

So after updating to windows 10, it seem to not be able to find steam.exe, even when i go straight to the folder and try to open the application from there. Still gets "Windwos cannot find 'D:\Steam\Steam.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

Well, D: is not the normal place for Steam. Have you physically checked the location in Explorer? Maybe a Drive Letter was changed during the upgrade.

Well, D: is not the normal place for Steam. Have you physically checked the location in Explorer? Maybe a Drive Letter was changed during the upgrade.
Yeh i have, i have 2 drives in my desktop that i built. C Drive, the main drive that is an ssd that runs all the programs, then D drive being the gaming drive and E drive being for random programs. I checked where they all go but it still doesnt work T.T

The only other thing which might have happened is when the upgrade was done it set the default back to the \Program Files (x86)\Steam folder. Maybe you can reset it.

The individual Game settings and saved games are in the Documents folder.

The only other thing which might have happened is when the upgrade was done it set the default back to the \Program Files (x86)\Steam folder. Maybe you can reset it.

The individual Game settings and saved games are in the Documents folder.
Ive tried that, and it still says that it is unable to find steam. I uninstalled and installed into the main c drive program folder and nothing. Making me really sad D:

I would try using Procmon to follow the load behavior of steam. Download: Process Monitor
  • Launch procmon
  • Click on Filter > Filter...
  • Click on the drop down menu that says Architecture and select Process Name
  • In the blank area to the right type steam.exe
  • Click Add then Apply then OK
  • Launch Steam
  • Go back to procmon
  • Click File > Capture Events to stop the capture
  • You will want to look through the path column to determine where it's trying to launch steam.exe from
This should give you some clues as to what is going on.

If you have searched your drive for Steam.exe, it wasn't found anywhere? It isn't listed in the All Apps section....

It isn't hard to reinstall Steam even though you say you have already done that, the time is taken by downloading the game files.. If you had some type of backup, you may be able to pre-install those.

Last edited:
I would try using Procmon to follow the load behavior of steam. Download: Process Monitor
  • Launch procmon
  • Click on Filter > Filter...
  • Click on the drop down menu that says Architecture and select Process Name
  • In the blank area to the right type steam.exe
  • Click Add then Apply then OK
  • Launch Steam
  • Go back to procmon
  • Click File > Capture Events to stop the capture
  • You will want to look through the path column to determine where it's trying to launch steam.exe from
This should give you some clues as to what is going on.

Attachments

• poop.png
    poop.png
    290.4 KB · Views: 921
You may not have the filter correct, it should at least get some hits. Have you tried just launching steam.exe from it's folder and/or try creating a new shortcut.

You may not have the filter correct, it should at least get some hits. Have you tried just launching steam.exe from it's folder and/or try creating a new shortcut.
Yeh i have, and it still says steam.exe connot be opened.

Post of screenshot of the procmon filter screen and also the full path to steam in explorer just so we can confirm it.

Post of screenshot of the procmon filter screen and also the full path to steam in explorer just so we can confirm it.
So i did everything that the thingy said to do but it not reading any path at all. and ive reinstalled it many times.

Attachments

• no.png
    no.png
    83.5 KB · Views: 940
Looks like you're going to have to change your procmon filter to explorer.exe. Steam apparently loads differently on Windows 10, then go into Edit > Find type in steam.exe, then go into Edit > Find highlight. This should show the steam entries, try to post a screen shot or upload the procom capture file.

Looks like you're going to have to change your procmon filter to explorer.exe. Steam apparently loads differently on Windows 10, then go into Edit > Find type in steam.exe, then go into Edit > Find highlight. This should show the steam entries, try to post a screen shot or upload the procom capture file.
THat is what popped up, when i did the steam highlight.

Attachments

• 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    214.4 KB · Views: 793
I'm assuming you are using a microsoft account. I don't personally use one so maybe someone can confirm that. Look like Windows is appending the \@microsoft... making the exe name invalid. For grins, try making a local account and try and launch steam.

I'm assuming you are using a microsoft account. I don't personally use one so maybe someone can confirm that. Look like Windows is appending the \@microsoft... making the exe name invalid. For grins, try making a local account and try and launch steam.
Im not using a microsoft account, im using a local account. Ever since.

Hi

I'm running Steam on my D:\ drive, and I've never found any problems.

Try this, download a new install file, and install Steam on Drive D:\ but put it in a new folder called D:\My Steam\. See if the new clean installation runs?

Steam, The Ultimate Online Game Platform

Create the D:\My Steam folder before you start the install process so you have a location to select when it asks where you want to install it.

Leave your old install where it is for now.

I'm not sure how your Microsoft account is involved, I have a Steam account with it's own ID and Password.
I just install it wherever and log into my Steam account and all of my stuff comes up.

If the new Install opens and runs normally just cut and paste the SteamApps folder from the old install to the new one, I cut and paste so that it only changes the address and doesn't actually move the files to a new position on the hard drive this will happen instantaneously.

For me it's about 378 Gigabytes and it will do the move and will not try and paste an additional 378 Gigabytes of stuff on my drive. I don't have enough space for that.

If you can now open the new install and see all your stuff you can delete the old install.

Mike

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom