Windows 10 Windws 7 to 10 upgrade stuck with 0xc000000f error

MacEifer

I am currently trying to overwrite my old PC to hand it to my girlfriend with a clean slate.

It's currently a win7 home premium.

I changed boot priority to DVD over HDD, insert Win10 disc, start PC. When prompted to press any key the win10 logo comes up and after a few minutes I am told that a 0xc000000f has occured and that recent changes to external devices are to blame.
Currently there are only a Logitech corded Trackball and a no-frills keyboard attached to the device.
I tried running the system recovery to a point late in November to ensure recent changes haven't messed up the machine. Unfortunately since I did that the machine has become unbearably slow and doesn't update anymore.
Also it won't start any browsers any more.

Does anyone have an idea how to force the system to just accept the win10 install from the disc?

Have you tried running the install from within windows? Or try the windows 10 media tool to download and create a new disc or usb stick to see if it works for you.

Tried via USB, same behaviour. Can't burn a new disc unfortunately. The current windows installation has become so unresponsive I can't really do much from within.

kemical makes a good point there. When you installed the W10 on that machine, did you remember to run the W10 COMPATIBILITY TEST to make sure that drivers, apps, and internal hardware devices were fully compatible with W10? If not, I suggest you do that again; here's the link to the instructions on how to run the program: Get Windows 10 app - Check Compatibility Report for Windows 10
**Important note: there has been some confusion recently from other users when I post this link, as they think it's a download link to get the Compatibility program itself which it is not! The program is already built into ALL W10 install media from Microsoft and is part of W10 itself. The link I give simply explains how to access the Test during the W10 Install process and what to look for, what the report looks like, and how to go about remediating any errors that are returned in the final Test Report. I would urge you to run this and make sure your W10 test report contains no errors or issues. If they do, you will have to resolve all issues found until the report gives you a clean bill of health. Then procede with the W10 install and 99% of the time W10 should install (assuming your W10 media is still good).

So, if the report passes no problem that should fix your W10 reinstall problem and you're set to go!:up:

If it doesn't, it's possible you have run into a coincidental hardware failure, and that error you are getting is a common stop error we see due to failing or faulty hardware. At this point, if you get here you'll need to perform full hardware testing of that computer (RAM sticks and Hard Drive) before proceeding with further W10 repairs or Clean Install. I have put together a little Troubleshooting Guide from WF sources we often recommend piece-meal, but this Guide gives it to you all in one-shot. Here's the link to the Guide: Windows 10 - Unclickable Task Bar

This should fix your problem in most cases. Assuming your W10 install media is good as mentioned, this should produce a good W10 install 95% of the time if you're willing to spend the 2-3 days to 1 week it takes to test all your hardware.

Best of luck,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

I have not installed Win10 on the machine. It currently is a Win7 Home Premium that I try to upgrade to Win10 primarily through the install disc from Microsoft.
It did not start installing Win10 and when I return to the currently installed Win7 it is almost entirely unresponsive, so downloading something and running a diagnostic with it are out of the question. The original install is German and I confused the thing that restores your boot sector with the system restoration. Running troubleshooting on a German OS with English guides can be horse dung sometimes.

That being said, The device was a high end custom build in 2012. Win7 never had driver issues and none of the parts in the machine are old enough to have driver support discontinued.
I also doubt that the hardware got damaged somehow over the span of 20 minutes between it running like a kitten playing Overwatch and me trying to install Win10 on it.

So right now my situation is that I can't run any diagnostics on the machine on the Win7 install and attempts to install Win10 result in the error above. I'll try a fresh Win7 Install from disc next, maybe it will at least respond to that and allow me to upgrade to Win10 from that point.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Back
Top Bottom