Windows 7 Winrs.exe - CPU/memory usage

JTTT

Hi guys,

New here and not great with computers so please bare with me! Have tried running a search across the problem but can't seem to find a fix for my issue.

I'm having problems with "WinRS.exe" - It runs constantly in the background but probably every 5-10 minutes it will suddenly cripple my computer causing my screen to lag horribly for 1-2 minutes before it dies down. If my son is in a game or if I am streaming video content, the screen will just start to freeze (though usually the sound is unaffected). It seems to happen even if I leave my computer idle after boot.

It started happening about a month ago (only things that installed at the time were a load of itunes/apple updates and an update to Mozilla firefox). I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling both, but to no avail. I swapped my wireless key to an Asus N-53 wireless key about 2 weeks before the issue started happening, but again have tried uninstalling/using a different wireless key but have the same issue come up.

I should add, in case it is relevant, that I think I am having problems with the power supply unit or my monitor, as it takes my computer 2-3 goes to start up.

Having looked online I think WinRS is something vital for my comp, but in any event I have not been able to delete it and I cannot end the process using task manager.

any help greatly appreciated!!

J

Attachments

• winrs.png
    winrs.png
    98 KB · Views: 446
New here and not great with computers so please bare with me!
Given the above....
Do you find yourself administering Windows Servers remotely.
A little Googling and I find the WinRS.exe (Windows Remote Shell) is the client side of the Windows Remote Management Service and is a command line tool for administering Windows Core or other Headless Servers.
If you right click it in task manager and choose end task or end process tree, what happens? Anything bad? Does it start up again?
Can you use msconfig to prevent it from starting?

Hi Trouble,

sorry for the delay in responding.

I never administer Windows Servers.

The process doesn't let me end it in task manager - I get an 'access is denied error'. I have tried disabling it in the windows config services to no avail, it reinstalls/reactivates itself on startup. I have tried removing it from the system 32 folder, also to no avail as it just re-appears.

I am starting to think it might be linked to flash/firefox, so will try reinstalling those later tonight but other than that no clue!!

The winrs.exe in your System 32 folder is a righteous Microsoft File and unless you suspect that it has been somehow corrupted you should probably leave that one alone.

You might want to do a search of your computer for winrs.exe that may be located in a sub-folder root somewhere like
C:\Windows\WINRS.EXE
C:\Program Files\WINRS.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\WINRS.EXE
C:\Program Files (x86)\WINRS.EXE
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\WINRS.EXE

And you might want to check the Windows Registry here...
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
and here.....
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

just to see if there is something launching it if you find it in either or both of those locations I suspect it would be reasonably safe to delete that particular reference from the right pane and reboot.

Using the Windows Registry Editor can cause serious, system-wide problems that may require you to re-install Windows to correct them. It cannot be guaranteed that any problems resulting from the use of the Windows Registry Editor can be solved. If you choose to edit the Windows Registry please understand that you do so at your own risk so unless you feel fairly comfortable and confident you should probably not use the Editor. Changes made to the Windows Registry can take effect immediately and those that do not will take effect following the next reboot of your computer, and a current backup is not automatically made for you....So manually create a system restore point, backup the registry and export the key you are editing for safe keeping before doing so.

Back