Windows 7 Wish List - Stuff I'd like to see incorporated into Windows

Zeeman28a

Ok I know it's too late but is there a thread for a wish list?

I wish Microsoft would change windows in a way that my active window remains my active window no matter what's happening in other applications. Much like UNIX does.

I hate it when I'm typing away in word, a pop up appears for another app that is running, I don't notice till I look at the screen and then find that I've been typing and not in Word or some other application.

Ever since MS introduced the Windows, why haven't they made this one change? Since Windows 3.0, I've been beta testing there OS's to some degree and have had the ability to register my "thoughts". I know this has been asked a myriad of times, so why don't they do it?

I wish Microsoft would change windows in a way that my active window remains my active window no matter what's happening in other applications. Much like UNIX does.

I hate it when I'm typing away in word, a pop up appears for another app that is running, I don't notice till I look at the screen and then find that I've been typing and not in Word or some other application.

Ever since MS introduced the Windows, why haven't they made this one change? Since Windows 3.0, I've been beta testing there OS's to some degree and have had the ability to register my "thoughts". I know this has been asked a myriad of times, so why don't they do it?

They won't make that change because if they actually catered to every persons's needs than what would be the need to make any new OS.. ;) That's just one way to look at it but it's true..

I agree with you but unfortunately it just won't happen.. ;)

Well one way is memorize the keyboard so you can look at the computer screen and not look at your keys when typing (like me)

But what if you're transposing? Or reading material and typing comments? You're not looking at the screen or the keyboard in either case.

As i mentioned, it's something that's be suggested to MS since Windows 3.0 since they started with BETA testers. I wasn't the only one making that recommendation to them.

Anyway's, it's just something I wish MS would consider adding to it's windows platform. They make a new one almost every other release. How hard can it be to add it?

Don't blast me, I'm just offering a work-around

I don't generally have the problem you describe because my mind is too feeble to multitask. If I am not working on a certain application, I simply "save and close". When I need to go back to the application that I earlier closed, I just re-open it. Simple!!!

What I wish would be incorporated into windows is a Windows Explorer filing system that conforms to filing rules that were established many, many years before the PC was conceived with appropriately titled organized folders and subfolders and is still in use wherever paper files are still used and has not been improved on after all these decades, perhaps centuries. Why, Oh Why, did some airhead developers have to decide to wreck this established standard that has worked so well for so long? This backward slide actually began with Windows 2000 when they lumped "Documents" and "Settings" into one folder. "Documents" just doesn't belong in the same category as "Settings". This straying from logical filing logic advanced through XP and went completely wild with Vista. Unfortunately, Windows 7 has done little to correct this issue.

....i wish for a delicate -or customizable- sound when the orbs and the windows 7 appears on boot =) that would be REALLY nice

This seems a bit better in 7. Since like when installing if UAC pops up it goes over applications. Now when UAC pops up its minimized and will stay minimized till you click it so you can continue working.

What I wish would be incorporated into windows is a Windows Explorer filing system that conforms to filing rules that were established many, many years before the PC was conceived with appropriately titled organized folders and subfolders and is still in use wherever paper files are still used and has not been improved on after all these decades, perhaps centuries. Why, Oh Why, did some airhead developers have to decide to wreck this established standard that has worked so well for so long? This backward slide actually began with Windows 2000 when they lumped "Documents" and "Settings" into one folder. "Documents" just doesn't belong in the same category as "Settings". This straying from logical filing logic advanced through XP and went completely wild with Vista. Unfortunately, Windows 7 has done little to correct this issue.

you do realize that you can rename and reorganize your folders any way that you want them, don't you? if you don't want settings in with doc's, then put them in a different place, and make up your own folder system.

I wish !!!

you do realize that you can rename and reorganize your folders any way that you want them, don't you? if you don't want settings in with doc's, then put them in a different place, and make up your own folder system.

No, Stevae, I don't know that. For instance: I have attempted to delete the folder labeled "Public" in Computer > Local Disk > Users, numerous times in various versions of the Windows 7 beta and RC. (After manually emptying the folder) Every time I reboot, the folder has returned. I am the sole user of my computers. I do not have a public computer, I have no guest users and I have no use for public folders. Yet Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom (more like infantile wisdom) has determined that I need a "Public" folder. I have tried to rename unused folders and use them for something useful, but guess what!! - - When I reboot, My "Icon" folder returns to "Public".

Now if there is some sort of registry fix or something to allow me to do as you say, I certainly would love to learn the procedure. I have tried to delete unusable folders of this sort in XP and I get the message, "this is a system folder and cannot be deleted". Windows 7 appears to let me think I have deleted them but gets the last laugh when I reboot.

yes, there are a couple of good app's that you can use. the first one is called "unlocker".

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker

this program allows you to delete, rename or move any folder that windows will not normally let you. the other app is called "take control", and it does just what it says, it allows you to take full control of any file or folder on your system. see if those help you out. there is always a way to do just about anything you want to do, you just have to dig a little on google, or forums like these.

also, after reading your post, and replying to it here, i went to the public folder on my c: partition and deleted my public folder. then i restarted my pc and it still was not there. and i didn't use either of the app's that i listed for you above. so maybe it is the build you are using, or something else. i am using 7229 x64.
i have never had a hard time deleting or renaming a file, other than ones that windows is currently using, like the backgrounds in the wallpaper folder. it wouldn't just let me delete the ones i didn't like, so i had to use unlocker to get rid of them. but any file or folder i have wanted to change, i have just renamed them or deleted them easily. so check that your permissions are ok, or you might want to load one of the lastest builds.

Well, I still am Wishing

Stevae, I don't understand the difference between my OS and yours, but even with unlocker (and with unlocker verifying that the folder is removed), on reboot, the "Public" folder and its subfolders reappear. After downloading and installing the unlocker app, I recognized it as something I had tried in the past attempting to perform this same operation on my XP computers (with no success).

I am currently using build 7260 32 bit, but have tried to delete these folders in other builds of Windows 7 beta and RC with no success. Perhaps my 32 bit and your 64 bit is the difference between my experience and yours. I cannot yet use a 64 bit OS because I am using some older applications that will not run on a 64 bit OS.

I have included here, capture1 which is a pre delete capture, capture2 which is a post delete capture (showing successful deletion), and capture3 which is the same "shot" as capture1 after reboot. I am going to check out your recommendation of "Take Control", but since I have been trying to get a logical file system organized for perhaps 5 years now, and tried several 3rd party apps. I don't have much confidence in "Take Control" either. Thank you for your efforts here, got any other suggestions??

What I wish would be incorporated into windows is a Windows Explorer filing system that conforms to filing rules that were established many, many years before the PC was conceived with appropriately titled organized folders and subfolders

John I totally agree with you. A while back, I actually tried to do this, (as much as possible anyway). I started with my Doc's folder, then set up different folders based on the different category's that I needed. Because of XP's folder layout, I would end up clicking through eight or nine folders just to get to what I needed.
If MS would set up the folder system so it could be done this way, things would work so much better.

[B said:
Zeeman28a[/B]] I wish Microsoft would change windows in a way that my active window remains my active window no matter what's happening in other applications. ... a pop up appears for another app that is running, I don't notice till I look at the screen

What about when you are trying to work on a program, and you have to click the same button 10 times, because just before you get there another pop up appears stealing focus, and so your click is not recorded.

Stevae, I have also have basically had no trouble deleting folders, or whatever I was trying to do. BTW I do use Unlocker both to delete and move files that are tied to a process. However system files can not be deleted. I have been trying to delete Wdws Movie Maker, ever since they decided that I could not live without it. No use, it is required by windows operating system to function properly. Yeah right! lol.

I love Win7!

Freaking awesome!

Is there a way to add a desktop Icon to the taskbar?

Is there a tweak to make the task bar more Xp/Vista like?

Thhe rest rocks.

And fast too!

wt, you can go to the advanced system properties to delete programs like movie maker, windows media player and even internet explorer, or you can shut down those services through the services module, found in the admin tools, in control panel.

sands, yes, you can pin almost any program to the task bar, by right clicking it and choosing pin to taskbar. the jump menu also will pin any program or file that you actively open and use, automatically.
also, give the new task bar a chance before you run back to the OLD way of doing things. the whole adventure of using the new op sys is to try out it's new functions, but if you immediately go running back to what you were comfortable with in xp, then you never get a good feel for the new, and that is why sooooooooo many people ended up complaining about vista, they never allowed themselves to get off the nipple of xp. i will never truly be able to understand why people do this. how could you jump from a skateboard to a porsche, then complain that you can't lean your turns in the porche?
i would advice you to put your safety net down for a few weeks, and try all of the functions in 7 for a while, before trying to DE-FUNCTION it back down to xp. as for myself, i could never comfortably use an xp computer again. it's too hard to go back to the trailer park, now that you've seen paris!!! hope this helps.

my personal preference is to bring back the hibernate screen from XP. It was removed for some reason in Vista and also in Win 7.

i.e., when we hibernate the machine, in XP, it shows a progress bar and a header saying hibernating.

Why have MS removed this?

I love Win7!

Freaking awesome!

Is there a way to add a desktop Icon to the taskbar?

Is there a tweak to make the task bar more Xp/Vista like?

Thhe rest rocks.

And fast too!
You need a desktop icon or my computer in taskbar like in Vista and XP?

Back