Windows 10 Wolfenstein New Colosus - crashing display driver only in main menu.

sew333

Hello. Its my second topic here of last time. Sorry for troubles,just want to be sure my pc is fine. So....

Today i installed Wolfenstein New Collosus. I am getting driver display crashes in main menu especially when alt tabbing to windows. Recorded 4-5 crashes in main menu or alt tab to windows. But in game ( 3d ) not single crash. Only in main menu. 1080 TI FE stock

Crash dump is : C:/Windows/LiverKernelReports/Watchdog

Its only in main menu or alt tabing to windows. Game ( 3d ) its fine. So propably software issue not hardware?

Screen from event log:
image.jpg

Here is uploaded dump file:

Uploadfiles.io - WATCHDOG-20171027-2228.dmp

My pc:
6700K stock no oc
16GB DDR4
Corsair 750 RM
Gigabyte Gtx 1080 Ti Fe no OC
Asus Z170-P

drivers: 388.00

If it's only in the menu and only when alt tabbing then may I suggest you stop doing that.

yes only main menu , alt tabbing and changing GFX options . At random moments it freeze and crash display crash. Beside that. Game is stable and no crashing in game ( 3d load ).

Somebody said:"
Atheris3 minuty temuWyróżniona odpowiedź
No, the game is stable for me. I had no crashes at all with alt-tab, changing graphic settings, changing resolution or with long hours of playing."

He said that game is stable for him and never crash in menu . So what now?

Last edited:
Hello. Its my second topic here of last time. Sorry for troubles,just want to be sure my pc is fine. So....

Hi Sew33,
no need to apologise as we are happy to help.

In regards to alt-tabbing with games, you'll find that some games don't seem to mind it where as other games will prove stubborn and even crash the system.

A Watchdog violation occurs usually with outdated drivers or firmware and rarely is it a hardware issue. Do make sure your drivers are up to date and please don't use a driver finding application as they cause more harm than good.

You could of course upload the dump file using the application found in the thread sticky ( How to ask for help with a BSOD problem )

If there doesn't appear to be any dump files then you'll need to change your settings so that they're created when the machine bsods.
Open the run application.
Type sysdm.cpl in the run box and click ok.
Look across the top of the system properties box for 'Advanced' and click that.
Look for 'Startup and Recovery' near the bottom and click 'settings'.
Near the bottom you'll see a drop down menu under the heading 'write debugging information'.
In the drop down menu choose ' small memory dump (256KB)'
Under 'small dump directory' make sure it says %SystemRoot%\Minidump.
Click ok and your good to go.

Just to make sure your system is running as it should run these scans:

File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

When i load game its fine. No crashes,no freezing. In game ( 3d ) its fine.

Only main menu , when i am playing with settings or alt tabbing,then randomly it will crash.

when i am playing with settings or alt tabbing,then randomly it will crash.
Yeah some games will do that when alt-tabbing.

I'd try using the DDU as explained in your last thread and cleaning out your gpu driver. Then either re-install the same version or a later one if available.

Not only alt tabbing. If i change some gfx setting it can freeze and crash too.
If that's the case then I would definitely use the DDU and remove the graphics driver whilst in safe mode.

Boot back into Windows and then install either a later driver or the same one again assuming you were already using the latest driver.

Hello again. Listen. I left game running ( 3d load ) for 6 hours when i go to work. Game not crashed. So propably only main menu is crashing random driver. I guess hardware is fine?

How is this possible? Game ( full load ) can run 6hours+ to 24hours stable without crash. But when i am only playing in main menu ( alt tabbing or changing applying gfx settings ) it will crash display driver. But dont worry about this?

"No, the game is stable for me. I had no crashes at all with alt-tab, changing graphic settings, changing resolution or with long hours of playing."

He said that him game never crashed to him on main menu. So what now? My is crashing TDR only in main menu on random moments or alt tabbing or applying gfx settings. And i met few peoples with 1080 ti with the same issue.

Last edited:
"No, the game is stable for me. I had no crashes at all with alt-tab, changing graphic settings, changing resolution or with long hours of playing."
That's his experience with his machine.

How is this possible? Game ( full load ) can run 6hours+ to 24hours stable without crash. But when i am only playing in main menu ( alt tabbing or changing applying gfx settings )
Did you actually do as i suggested regarding using the DDU and re-installing the driver or didn't you bother?

It could well be the game then. Perhaps it needs patching?

As you say your not the only person with the issue.

Been looking at the Steam reviews and many with Nvidia are having issues with the game and changing resolution. So it indeed looks like Bethesda need to patch the game.

Installed 388.13 drivers. No crashing in main menu when making alt-tab. But i found that clock are not fluctuating between game and windows ( ALT TAB ). I think they something change in drivers because clock are the same between load and idle transition. Anyway it not crashing now.

Installed 388.13 drivers. No crashing in main menu when making alt-tab. But i found that clock are not fluctuating between game and windows ( ALT TAB ). I think they something change in drivers because clock are the same between load and idle transition. Anyway it not crashing now.
excellent, thank you for the update.

Back