Windows 7 Won't install/boot up with 4gb

BartmanDK

Hi
Im having a rather strange problem here. I tried to install W7 64bit today and it took WAY too long (gave up 30 min. after clicking Install Now) I read somwhere on the internet that it might help if you only have 2gb when you install so i took 1 of my RAM blocks out, and it installed perfectly in 15 min. or something. But when i put the 2gb block back in the boot up takes a vary long time on the loading screen and then its just a black screen where the mouse can move, although its vary choppy! I thought it might have been a faulty RAM block so i tried switching the two out but it still works. Has anyone got any idea of what might be wrong here?

I attached my DxDiag file

Hi
Im having a rather strange problem here. I tried to install W7 64bit today and it took WAY too long (gave up 30 min. after clicking Install Now) I read somwhere on the internet that it might help if you only have 2gb when you install so i took 1 of my RAM blocks out, and it installed perfectly in 15 min. or something. But when i put the 2gb block back in the boot up takes a vary long time on the loading screen and then its just a black screen where the mouse can move, although its vary choppy! I thought it might have been a faulty RAM block so i tried switching the two out but it still works. Has anyone got any idea of what might be wrong here?

I attached my DxDiag file

Have you tried using the 1 stick in EITHER of your 2/4 slots?
If not, then I'd recommend testing both 2GB sticks on every port (a total of 8 tries) and that should be able to tell me whether it could be a RAM slot fault. If you have switched the sticks around and it's a 2-slot Motherboard, disregard this message.

Hope this helps
EDIT: IF it works when you switch it around and you've only got two slots then just run it with them the way it works. ALSO, i can't even begin to comprehend most of the DxDiag file. I don't dig in regedit all day.

Last edited:
Vedalken, my motherboard only has 2 slots and i have tried every possible sollution, but it still has a vary long boot time if i have 4gb (2 ram blocks) in it.

Reghakr: I dident wait that long. After looking at "Setup is starting" for 15 min i shut down the pc, took 1 RAM block out and it installed really fast.

Am i just beeing impatient here, or did i do something wrong on install?
http://windows7forums.com/members/vedalken.html

Forgive, it's early in the morning,

So you mean it did get it installed, but it's still slow?

Forgive, it's early in the morning,

So you mean it did get it installed, but it's still slow?
Yea when i took 1 of the 2gb blocks of ram out it worked like a charm. But now when i put it back in and try to boot up it kinda gets stuck after the boot up screen

That's strange, but I have seen postings regarding this.

Follow the two links at the bottom of this page to see if those threads may help you.

Sorry i can't help you any further.

If you're problem hasn't been solved yet, try putting just 1 stick in both slots (not at the same time). So try putting a 2GB stick in slot0 and then if that's works put the other stick in Slot0 and see if that works. If it does, then move the sticks over to test slot1 and repeat the process. If both sticks work individually on both slots, it could very well be a memory controller issue or just something 7 doesn't like about your memory. I can't say for certain.

Back
Top Bottom