Windows 7 Word 2007 freezes constantly

I have noticed the same problem with Word 2007. It seems to freeze with a large Word doc that I add to every day. It freezes when saving and sometimes causes the whole OS to hang, requiring force shut down and rebooting. I have been using Win 7 for about 6 weeks and have continuously had this problem. I will continue to use Win 7 but use OpenOffice for large Word docs now, as it works fine.

W7 Freezing

I found the fix for this issue as posted it in previous threads. If you are running any version of Symantec Anti virus, then that's your problem.
Solution: Remove Symantec AV and turn on your built-in Windows firewall for now.

It works like a champ thereafter.

Hope this helps! :)

Amine G.

Tried the James.Random() solution. Didn't work either.

Whenever i make a change to a document and click save, the bottom says "Saving paper", The bar goes to green, but then it freezes.

I had the same exact problem. I tried all different recommendations but whenever I saved my Word 2007 files on Windows 7, Word would freeze.

To resolve the issue, I ended up completely uninstalling Symantec Antivirus 10.2. Microsoft Word 2007 started saving/working again.

To provide antivirus protection, I used one of the recommended Windows 7 antivirus products "Norton 360". Everything is still working. However, "Norton 360" is only good for 14 days before you need to pay for it. Since my company already pays for Symantec protection, I'm not going to spend additional money to protect a beta product like Windows 7. Microsoft should arrange for free Antivirus support with its vendors during the beta. Everybody wins because the vendor will get a large testing group to determine if their product will be ready when Windows 7 goes RTM.

Last edited:
I also have this anti virus. And I also have this problem. It's so bad, that I will switch to Vista if it's not fixed soon. I tried shutting Symantec off, but I still seem to have this problem.

Moreover, when it crashes, its process is not terminated. It continues to hog system resources.

Also, i've seen this problem with Eclipse, whenever I work with files.

symantec corporate anti-virus, although it seems to work, it WILL cause issues with Office 2003 and Office 2007 applications. The applications will sometimes totally freeze, and you cannot close them even by task manager, you have to reboot. It becomes impossible to edit file etc.

I removed all traces of symantec corporate anti-virus, and I have not had a problem since.

DO NOT USE SYMANTEC CORPORATE ANTI-VIRUS on Windows 7!

I had two issues recently- one was the Word 2007 was slow to open and froze when you tried to close it - caused by my default printer not being accessible. The other problem was right clicking on a cell in Excel and picking 'format cell' froze Excel and had to force release it - it too was caused by not having a working default printer. Verify that your default printer is accessible and working..
Took me a day to figure it out.

Jack

symantec corporate anti-virus, although it seems to work, it WILL cause issues with Office 2003 and Office 2007 applications. The applications will sometimes totally freeze, and you cannot close them even by task manager, you have to reboot. It becomes impossible to edit file etc.

I removed all traces of symantec corporate anti-virus, and I have not had a problem since.

DO NOT USE SYMANTEC CORPORATE ANTI-VIRUS on Windows 7!
I am about to try it.

adanedhel728 was right about the virus program. uninstall all virus programs and spyware programs from you computer. install avg free from download.com and restart. office will run fine and so will any other program.

Mcafee beta (For Windows 7)

Don't know if anyone is interested but Mcafee is offering a free beta virus program that is especially made for Windows 7 users and is valid till the end of the year. One hitch is the firewall may keep certain helpfull programs from accessing the internet properly. Anyway it's working fine for me right now.

adanedhel728 was right about the virus program. uninstall all virus programs and spyware programs from you computer. install avg free from download.com and restart. office will run fine and so will any other program.

Using beta build 7000. Been trying to install AVG on the Win7 side of my dual boot, but it midway through it crashes.
I'm running AVG on the Vista side of my dual boot with no problems. I have one hard drive partitioned with each operating system in its own partition.

Answer

ok some of you have install Windows 7 but have read what it does.

I did.

Ok the info says "It may contain few bugs."

"In 2010,May,10, it will start to to shut down until 2 hours or you have to install the full version of Windows 7 that day.":mad::eek::(:frown:

Using beta build 7000. Been trying to install AVG on the Win7 side of my dual boot, but it midway through it crashes.
I'm running AVG on the Vista side of my dual boot with no problems. I have one hard drive partitioned with each operating system in its own partition.

Thantkz Dude

You should be a Smart Member

Last edited:
Is your default printer local or on your network. If it is on the network and is not available you will see the problems you are seeing. The fix is to install the printer as a local printer and then change the port to point to the network location.

Thanks alot, that was my problem :)

I am using Office 2007 with W7 7201 x86, Avira Free Anti-Virus with no problems. Do you have any add-ons for Office 2007? Do you have the latest patches/updates for O2K7?

I am running office 2007 Ultimate with Windows 7 and suddenly Word stopped working. I couldn't open it, nor could I even uninstall it. I thought it was a windows update that got pushed down that caused the issue because they happened around the same time. After reading this forum I remembered that I added my Dell 3100 laser printer to my system, which used an IP port for connectivity, around the same time the issue started. I changed my default printer from my dell to the XPS document printer and bam, immediately I was able to open word with no problem.

I was able to get into the Printer Properties but was unable to view the Printing Preferences. When I tried, windows explorer would crash, the same as Word would crash. I was using a windows XP driver so I went to dell and downloaded the Vista 32bit driver. Once I updated the driver I was then able to view the Printing Preferences without Windows Explorer crashing.

Also after updating the driver, I was able to switch my default printer back to Dell and everything worked...while still using the IP Port.

FWIW, before I updated the driver to the Vista one, if I switched the printer port to LPT1 I was then able to view Printing Preferences without any crashes.

Also, I am not using any anti-virus so that was not an issue. Hope this helps.

My 2 cents worth

G'day guys,

This is my first post here, though I won't go about introducing myself, just keep it shortish!

I have windows 7 RC, upgraded directly from windows vista home premium. I love W7 functionality, of course there are a few hiccups, which until lately haven't caused me much concern, due to only using MS office word 07 for personal use. Now that I'm about to continue with further studies, it was crucial I sorted out my issue to allow a smooth transition.

Unfortunately, upto today I haven't taken alot of notice with how word 07 (W7 platform) was behaving, otherwise I would have taken screen shots with onenote and referred to those in this post, therefore I will make do with those issues I recall along with what bugs me at present. Details of which are below.

When I attempted to open a file from an external hard drive, the default program (MS office word 07) opened without the document displaying, however 3 previous unsaved (unnamed) documents were located in the recovery pane. My explaination of this is, I have Norton 360 Version 3, which often requests a restart of my computer after automatically running scans and will automatically restart the computer within 10 minutes if I don't choose an option (1 or 4 hours).

Of course I could apply some personal management of the computers system, although this would defeat real-time testing of the Microsoft document recovery function, anyone studying would understand where I'm coming from and know losing large portions of an assignment isn't constructive in any shape or form.

Getting back to the point of this post. I'd attempted several different methods to open the file i.e. opening or saving the recovered documents to free up words resource use - which froze; closing word - which froze; ALT+CTRL+DEL - which gave an error message of some kind; restarting the computer - which lead to a 'force restart'; and finally, turning off the computer by the power button.

Upon restarting the computer, it was clear the document didn't want to budge, though I shudder at the memories of using those inferior MS operating systems of days gone by and thanked my lucky stars the file wasn't converted into a file format that hasn't been invented yet, let alone non-existent software to open it! lol Remarkably, having managed to save the recovered documents, I was still unable to open the desired document.

It appears I installed windows 7 RC around May 2009 and although I haven't always had difficulties with opening and saving office word 07 documents, I must say there were numerous occasions when I'd uninstalled Norton 360 or reconfigured its settings to allow W7 control of the firewall. Therefore lots of different circumstances were in play on previous occasions and too vast to explore in this post.

Everyone can tell you how frustrating it can sometimes be trying to install norton 360, especially since we are using the unsupported W7 RC platform and I refuse to uninstall 'N360' again unless it's absolutely necessary. Nevertheless, I located this forum and read the reply by Garymac's who posted about running the diagnostic, something I don't recall ever undertaking - even with a vista platform.

Having ran the diagnostic, here are my results. The last test within the detailed results section, titled 'Setup diagnostic', stated "The diagnostic repaired all Microsoft Office installation problems it could find. Verified 14 package(s).", meanwhile the summary of results stated:

"Diagnostics run: 6
Diagnostics that identified problems: 1
Diagnositics that took corrective actions: 1"

Admittedly, either before, during or after the diagnostic, I also went into W7 troubleshoot computer problems and clicked the wording 'run programs made for previous versions of Windows' and selected microsoft office word 2007 and followed the prompts, which opened word 07 flawlessly. Then I proceeded to open the document within word 07 and whalla, what do you know? It worked, saves perfectly, prints and all, without having turned off or uninstalled norton 360!

My recommendation, if you have extra money to splurge, purchase Microsoft works, as it incorporates a word processor. Only downside, it isn't as functional as office word 07. The other alternative is to download Openoffice (it's free), which incorporates a writer (word) processor. Personally, I have all three and they were all very handy during the last period of my studies and as of recently, Microsoft office word 07 can now quickly and simply convert Microsoft works document file formats into word file formats. YES!

I found out the hard way when I needed to print out several lengthy assignments at Office works (Australia) - who carry and stock Microsoft office 2007, although only used word 2003 on their computer systems and back in 2007, that was a real ban in the proverbial backside. Try convert word 2007 office document file formats to Microsoft works RTF file formats, just the document could be opened in word 2003, which reconfigures the layout of the original document, requiring needless time reconstructing the documents for printing that perfect assignment.

Thanks for reading and big thanks to Microsoft for listening to my previous feedback - there's more on its way! ;)

Jesse

I just upgraded Vista to Windows 7 Home Premium. I use it at home and at work. At work I am connected through the LAN. While connected to the LAN Word 2007 would freeze at the splash screen. I'd shut it down and try opening it again and it would ask me is I wanted to open in safe mode. This would also freeze. Then on the next attempt it woudl ask me if I wanted to run the repair utility. Again it would freeze

As it turned out I had one of the netwrok printers as my default printer. The solution was to change my default printer to Microsoft XPS Document printer and ti worked fine after that.

Word 2007 uses the default printer driver for its WYSIWUG settings. If it has a problem with that printer driver it freezes at the splash screen or other times.

try changing your default printer to Microsoft XPS Documents and see if that helps.

Back