Windows 7 Word 2007 freezes constantly

adanedhel728

I've only been using Win7 for a few days, but I've noticed that Word 2007 freezes a lot. It only happens when I save. It saves the file, but then freezes. It says "Not responding" in the title bar and whites out. Usually Windows can shut it down (after sending some info to MS), but once it froze so bad that the only way to get out was to force shut down. I haven't really tried any troubleshooting because I haven't a clue what to do.

Of course, I've only been using 7 for a few days, so the damage is very possibly more extensive than just Word. Once Windows Media Player kept freezing, but that hasn't happened in awhile. This problem with Word happens constantly. (I haven't tried other Office stuff yet). Does anybody have any ideas on how to fix this?

Sorry if this isn't clearly written; I got up and wrote it as an impulse when I couldn't get to sleep :D

Thanks,
Andrew

Yeah, Word 2007 is pretty slow on my end, too. The splash screen, for instance takes about.. 45 seconds to close and actually enter the program.

I now have a small theory that it might have been the antivirus I was using causing the problem (Symantec Corporate Edition). It was made for Vista, but I figured it would work with 7. Unfortunately, it seems that the only antivirus designed for 7 so far are either terrible or not free (but that's a topic for another thread). So now I'm going to try the free version of AVG. I'll report back later.

Hm.. just tried disabling both Document Scanning and Real-Time Scanning in NOD32 (beta of v.4.x), didn't help any.

I have the same problems as well, except it takes a while to get it open (I don't have anti virus right now as Windows Live OneCare is not compatable, so thats not an issue, but it freezes whenever I try and do anything in the menu's IE. change font, add symbols etc, its the only program in the Office Suite to have problems on my end.

Word Freezes

I think there might be a solution for the word issue, I have reported the issue many time and today there was a message with a possible solution to the issue in the Action Center but unfortunately the Action Center needed to retrieve the answer from Microsoft, but was unable to because of a connection problem. So I don't know but if you have ever reported the problem when Word crashes you might look in the Win 7 action center for the answer. And Please up date the forum thanks, if anyone know how to get the Action Center to connect to the web please let me know too. Sorry I know a little off topic.

I now have a small theory that it might have been the antivirus I was using causing the problem (Symantec Corporate Edition). It was made for Vista, but I figured it would work with 7. Unfortunately, it seems that the only antivirus designed for 7 so far are either terrible or not free (but that's a topic for another thread). So now I'm going to try the free version of AVG. I'll report back later.
I also have this anti virus. And I also have this problem. It's so bad, that I will switch to Vista if it's not fixed soon. I tried shutting Symantec off, but I still seem to have this problem.

Moreover, when it crashes, its process is not terminated. It continues to hog system resources.

Also, i've seen this problem with Eclipse, whenever I work with files.

Last edited:
Is your default printer local or on your network. If it is on the network and is not available you will see the problems you are seeing. The fix is to install the printer as a local printer and then change the port to point to the network location.

Time to reconsider and downgrade, (in the meantime until microsoft sorts out problems) to office 2003 with compatibility pack for 2007 office system. I've had mine installed since day one of windows 7 beta, and have never encountered any issue with word 2003 and the the other apps. Knock on wood.;)

That may be the problem. Office installs the Microsoft XPS Document Writer. You might want to at least install it.

Word 7 freezes

You don't indicate if you are using MS Office 2007 or just Word 2007. Have you ran the MS Office Diagnostics tool? You can find it in Word 2007 . Click on the MS Office icon in Word, select Word Options > Resources > MS Office Diagnostics. It takes a while to run, but may find some issues. Also, if you have MS Office 2007, have you installed the most recent service pack, SP 1. If this does not help, you may have to uninstall, then re-install the program (s). I have had no problems with any of the MS Office programs, they load quickly and without issue - so far.
To address another issue on anti-virus software, I installed AVG version 8 Free, and it works flawlessly with MS Outlook and has not caused any issues.
I also tried Bitdefender Internet Security 2009 but had to remove. It seemed to work for a while, but then my network connection kept dropping off after extended periods of inactivity (half hour) and I could not open Bitdefender again, it seemed to hang and I would have to reboot to restore both functions. I removed it and re-installed AVG free.
I had also tried Norton 360 Beta 2. but it crashed my system totally.

Last edited:
I have Office. I ran the diagnostic on word. The memory, compatibility, and disk diagnostics went well. The setup diagnostic crashed at package 1.

I tried disabling my Symantec AV, but to no avail.

I also have exactly the same problem with Eclipse.

Last edited:
Tried the James.Random() solution. Didn't work either.

Whenever i make a change to a document and click save, the bottom says "Saving paper", The bar goes to green, but then it freezes.

Sorry nothing worked, I am out of ideas. The only work around I know of is to un-install Office, then disable your security suite or better yet, if it is Norton, remove it and then re-install the program and updates. With Win 7, you are fairly secure, except for the lack anti-virus software, when you do this. I would download AVG Anti-Virus 8 Free, and use that in the interim until you can determine where the problem lies.

Word 2007 NOT RESPONDING

This really sucks. I am so socked that Live One Care is not working on a MS OS. I want to know what kind of testing Microsoft did in this regard. Let me guess: NOTHING!!
I stand by the theory that Symantec, which is incompatible with W7, might be the culprit here. My coworker is testing Windows 7 Beta as well with no issues of this kind. The only difference is that he is not running the Symantec firewall on his W7 box.

Any day Bill,

Fix this! :)

Thank you--

A. Guennoun

Try this fix!

Amine Guennoun

Last edited:
Not More Freezing of Word 2007 on W7

As expected, Symantec, which is not compatible with W7, is to blame. As soon as uninstalled it, freezing stopped immediately.

I hope this works for you!
:)

Amine Guennoun

Last edited:
Back