Windows 10 Workin on it.

nigel wright

If I try open a file in a program I sometimes get the message "Working on it" and the directory never appears.

At the same time I have noticed windows update gets stuck after I have seen the above message.

If I shutdown my pc and restart it the problem goes away.

Then sometimes the problem comes back

Hi Nigel,
try running the update troubleshooter:
Windows Update Troubleshooter - Windows Help -

Run these scans just to make sure the system isn't corrupted.

File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

Check for malware:
Free Anti-Malware & Internet Security Software

Rebuild the index:
This guide was originally for win 7 but it still works for win 10.
To rebuild the index
The index requires almost no maintenance. However, if the index can't find a file that you know exists in an indexed location, you might need to rebuild the index. Rebuilding the index can take several hours, and searches might be incomplete until the index is fully rebuilt.

1. Open Indexing Options by clicking the Start button
    4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818.jpg
    , and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, typeindexing options, and then click Indexing Options.

2. Click Advanced.
    18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_48.jpg
    If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. In the Advanced Options dialog box, click the Index Settings tab, and then click Rebuild.
    18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_48.jpg
    If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Image1.png

sounds like wudo (windows-update-delivery-optimization) to me … in which win-10 is updating other people's computers from some of your computer's updates.

settings / updates / windows-update / adv-options / "choose how updates are delivered"
since my computer slowed down to worse than a crawl, and i already have low band-width to begin with … i turned this option off.

surreptitiously, i have searched windowsforum.com using filter "wudo" and came up empty-handed … one of the mods might create a short tutorial and pin it to the top of win-10 forum … since i've seen a number of posts here that could be attributed/related to microsoft's nefarious agenda.
edit:
or, since the weekend has arrived … i might take a few hours and create a very short dissertation about wudo … and the succinct advantage in aiming a pistol at one's temple. :(

Last edited:
Hi pnamajck;
Yes, this is a very good read! :nerdie: Thanks for posting it. I wasn't aware of this feature in W10. I've bookmarked both of your links and intend to use to help other forum users with intermittently slow W10 computers. I also was not aware that MS was doing the P2P component with OTHER PEOPLE'S PCs ON THE INTERNET! o_Oo_O

Just a side note for other users that happened onto this very interesting thread, the settings to change your network adapter for a metered connection cap will only work if you have a Wi-Fi connection on your desktop PC or a laptop/tablet and that connection is active, and that's how your device is currently connecting to the Internet. The "metering cap" option does NOT show up if you have a WIRED connection (as I have on my Dell desktop PC I'm writing this on) to your router or broadband modem (DSL or CABLE).

Cheers!
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>> :bee: :usa:

well … during this latest upgrade (1803) … seems microsoft has revised some of my previous wudo settings. the good thing is they 'limited' the overhead to, supposedly, 50% of one's operating bandwidth. not so in my environment … a 35mb file should have taken 1min … ended up taking almost 10min.

i first had considered possibility of bitcoin(cryptocurrency) harnessing my computer … but my browser add-on "nocoin" showed no such indication. besides … mining cryptocurrency affects cpu and not bandwidth. anyway … i found the culprit to be wudo … and have attached two screen-caps … first being microsoft's 1803-wudo-config … and second being my revised 1803-wudo-config.

and, yes … things are back to normal once again.

ref:
Configure Delivery Optimization for Windows 10 updates (Windows 10)

wudo1.png wudo2.png

Last edited:
The PC is one I built myself from components from various sources (Skylake).
I had another problem with the pc that wouldn't go away even with a Windows refresh.
So I did a clean install and now the pc works great.
I can only guess it was a corrupted Windows 10 problem.

Back
Top Bottom