Workin on it.

Discussion in 'Windows 10 Help and Support' started by nigel wright, Apr 28, 2016.

1. nigel wright

If I try open a file in a program I sometimes get the message "Working on it" and the directory never appears.

At the same time I have noticed windows update gets stuck after I have seen the above message.

If I shutdown my pc and restart it the problem goes away.

Then sometimes the problem comes back

2. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Hi Nigel,
    try running the update troubleshooter:
    Windows Update Troubleshooter - Windows Help -

Run these scans just to make sure the system isn't corrupted.

File scans
    Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
    sfc /scannow
    press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    Press enter and await results (longer this time).

Check for malware:
    Free Anti-Malware & Internet Security Software

Rebuild the index:
    This guide was originally for win 7 but it still works for win 10.
    To rebuild the index
    The index requires almost no maintenance. However, if the index can't find a file that you know exists in an indexed location, you might need to rebuild the index. Rebuilding the index can take several hours, and searches might be incomplete until the index is fully rebuilt.

1. Open Indexing Options by clicking the Start button [​IMG], and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, typeindexing options, and then click Indexing Options.

2. Click Advanced. [​IMG] If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. In the Advanced Options dialog box, click the Index Settings tab, and then click Rebuild. [​IMG] If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

holdum333 likes this.
  3. BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI Honorable Member
    Premium Supporter

Also, please post Make/Model of your computer!

Thanks,
    <<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

4. pnamajck

pnamajck Well-Known Member

Image1.

sounds like wudo (windows-update-delivery-optimization) to me … in which win-10 is updating other people's computers from some of your computer's updates.

settings / updates / windows-update / adv-options / "choose how updates are delivered"
    since my computer slowed down to worse than a crawl, and i already have low band-width to begin with … i turned this option off.

surreptitiously, i have searched windowsforum.com using filter "wudo" and came up empty-handed … one of the mods might create a short tutorial and pin it to the top of win-10 forum … since i've seen a number of posts here that could be attributed/related to microsoft's nefarious agenda.
    edit:
    or, since the weekend has arrived … i might take a few hours and create a very short dissertation about wudo … and the succinct advantage in aiming a pistol at one's temple. :(

#4 pnamajck, Apr 29, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
    BIGBEARJEDI likes this.
  5. holdum333

holdum333 Banned

Hey! pnamajk! Sounds very interesting! Can we expect to hear more about this from you??
    I turned mine off!!

6. BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI Honorable Member
    Premium Supporter

Hi pnamajck;
    Yes, this is a very good read! :nerdie: Thanks for posting it. I wasn't aware of this feature in W10. I've bookmarked both of your links and intend to use to help other forum users with intermittently slow W10 computers. I also was not aware that MS was doing the P2P component with OTHER PEOPLE'S PCs ON THE INTERNET! o_Oo_O

Just a side note for other users that happened onto this very interesting thread, the settings to change your network adapter for a metered connection cap will only work if you have a Wi-Fi connection on your desktop PC or a laptop/tablet and that connection is active, and that's how your device is currently connecting to the Internet. The "metering cap" option does NOT show up if you have a WIRED connection (as I have on my Dell desktop PC I'm writing this on) to your router or broadband modem (DSL or CABLE).

Cheers!
    <<<BIGBEARJEDI>>> :bee: :usa: