Windows 7 X-Fi Extreme Audio

Styphon

I'm running Windows 7 x64 and I'm having a problem with my X-Fi Extreme Audio 7.1 PCI-E OEM card. Initially I downloaded the Vista 64 drivers and this allowed me to install it all fine, with the exception of having to use Windows own controllers (no Creative Volume Panel) and for the life of me I couldn't get my mic to work. So I uninstalled the driver and then used the original disk that came with it to install the sound card. I then had the Creative Volume Panel and all it's nifty features but it wouldn't recognise the sound card and couldn't change anything. One update later and it downloaded the 64bit drivers and voilà, it picks it up fine and the mic works. But now, even when I select 5.1, I can only get sound out of the front two speakers. When selecting the speakers I get a nice little diagram where you can click the speakers to test them, but only the FR and FL speakers are available, all the others are greyed out. I'm not sure what I can do now to get 5.1 working again. Suggestions on this most welcome.

I've run into the same issue regarding surround sound, however, I've discovered that it only applies to the playback of audio files from within Windows itself (including movies), but in games surround sound works fine. I installed and played Gothic III and set the game to "5.1" and thats exactly what I got. Yet when I play any MP3 in Windows, its only in stereo. I'm still looking for a solution myself.

EDIT: Solution is found here = http://social.technet.microsoft.com...e/thread/0e62fce3-32d6-4470-ab68-c790c5ddbc0f

Last edited:
Having played around with this for some time I've finally figured out how to configure it (with the minor problem that the rear right speaker is playing through the sub, but I think that's driver related).

First off install everything as normal. Then open the control panel (I'm doing this from all icons visible) and go into sound. Click on the speakers and at the bottom left select Configure. In there change it to 5.1 or whatever you need, save and close. Then open the Creative Console Launcher and configure that the same. All should work now (cept the right speaker for me).

Xi-Fii extreme

This may help some..I am running Wondows 7 64 bit.

I had the same problem with my X-fi Creative card and it took me awhile to get sound, but I did !

First I updated the drivers from the CD that came with the card, that got the card recognized, then I downloaded the latest drivers from Creative. But don't install with that !!!

Open it with an extraction tool such as Winrar and extract all the folders and files. One will be drivers. Then go back to Hardware Manager and upgrade your card drivers, pointing the source to the drivers folder which you have now extracted. Bingo !!

Sound now works perfectly and including the 5.1 is etc .

Tried that but it said the driver is up to date and the driver versions match. Still nothing out the back right (and I know it works fine)

I'm not sure how the X-Fi Extreme Audio differs w/ my X-Fi Fatality, but I just downloaded:

1 - Vista x64 driver
2 - Vista x64 Console Launcher

Then I chose Vista compatibility and ran both setups as admin. Drivers and Console launcher work fine. I then installed the volume panel off of the x-fi CD and that works fine too.

For the most part, going the "turn on vista compatibility" and "run as administrator" route has worked for all my system drivers. I was afraid the x-fi would give problems like it did w/ Vista at first..but so far so good.

I'm having the same issue. I installed the newest Creative drivers and control console for my X-Fi in Vista compatibility mode and made some progress. First, I'm now able to select 5.1 and test the speakers (Before, it seemed as if my Creative console was corrupted and would't even let me change the speaker setup). I can confirm that all 5 speakers and the subwoofer were working fine when I tested them with the new console.

However, when I open an Mp3 through WMP, iTunes or Winamp, there was no sound at all. Yet, I could hear the test sounds from the Creative control console. I went to Windows Audio playback devices and SPDIF Out was enabled by default. Upon deactivating that, the audio comes back on and I am back to 2.1 stereo despite both Windows audio and Creative's console showing 5.1.

Any ideas?

Try making "X-Fi Speakers" the default. Regardless of whether you have SPDIF or not, for some reason that option isn't right in the audio properties. SPDIF should work with if you have "X-Fi Speakers" set. Try it and see if that helps.

Try making \"X-Fi Speakers\" the default. Regardless of whether you have SPDIF or not, for some reason that option isn't right in the audio properties. SPDIF should work with if you have \"X-Fi Speakers\" set. Try it and see if that helps.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I've tried that and my rear and center channels are still inactive when I play any media.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

If i install drivers from CD i see on start BSoD and drivers from creative dont work.
Ill dry unpack drivers from web and install manuali, but w7 dont accept this drivers.
use w7 32bit.

btw: how wersion of drivers u using? nad if u can please post here download link to download it... beucas 0079 dont work 0078 dont try and 0077 do BSoD on w7

Last edited:
If i install drivers from CD i see on start BSoD and drivers from creative dont work.
Ill dry unpack drivers from web and install manuali, but w7 dont accept this drivers.
use w7 32bit.

btw: how wersion of drivers u using? nad if u can please post here download link to download it... beucas 0079 dont work 0078 dont try and 0077 do BSoD on w7

We seem to be having the same issue,

Card is PCI Creative X-Fi Extreme Audio

Tried unpacking the drivers and load from device manager, tried the CD, nothing works, get BSOD. Windows update doesn't find anything either.. alos tried compatibility mode (Vista), still not working...

Please help ! I don't want to go back to Vista or buy another video card...

Last edited:
We seem to be having the same issue,

Card is PCI Creative X-Fi Extreme Audio

Tried unpacking the drivers and load from device manager, tried the CD, nothing works, get BSOD. Windows update doesn't find anything either.. alos tried compatibility mode (Vista), still not working...

Please help ! I don't want to go back to Vista or buy another video card...

check http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-hardware/1129-creative-x-fi-bsod.html for BSOD problems on 32-bit and we'll leave this thread for 64-bit 5.1 surround problems

It is because of this version of windows 7 is not listed in the driver for install .It will never work so don't use windows 7 till creative labs fix there drivers for the new operating system .

well i tryed to instal the drivers which they did. but my creative control panal only shows 2 icons one for the conections it recognises and the other being microphone options.

Windows recognises the sound card and the 4 speakers im playing it of with the test sound(quadraphonic setup)
virtualy all aplications fail to play quadraphonic.

However i noticed my VLC player plays quadraphonic fine

cnt seemt to figure out why. and i feel like ripping out my hair lol.

Last edited:
What Creative has to say

I complained to Creative about this issue and here is their response...

Dear Donald,

Thank you for contacting Creative Technical Support Services. I
appreciate your time and effort for making us aware of your concern and
giving us an opportunity to assist you.

Based from your email, I understand that you would like to know when
will the drivers be available for your X-Fi XtremeAudio that will work
with Windows 7. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused
you.

We do not have applications or drivers that will work with the BETA
version of Windows 7. You may want to check back our support page for
these once the FULL release version of Windows 7 is out on the market.

Thank you again for visiting Creative Customer Support Services. I hope
the information provided was helpful. If you still require assistance,
please reply to this email with any previous correspondence to ensure
the quickest and most accurate service.

Best Regards,

Gau
Technical Support
Creative Labs Americas

So, I let them know how I felt in a return email...

Your response is entirely unacceptable. Your company should have done a
better job of anticipating the release of Windows 7 beta. Nvidia had a
Widows 7 update available the same day that Windows 7 was released.
If companies like Nvidia can liaison with MS, then your company ought to be
able to do so as well. I would have thought that you would have learned
your lesson with Vista when you also got caught "flat footed" and, for that
matter, never have come out with full featured Vista drivers for Xtreme
Audio.

Your company needs to learn that your best marketing strategy is worthless
without a world class customer support strategy. For you to say that you
might get around to releasing a driver by the FULL release of Windows 7
strongly indicates that taking care of existing users is not a high priority
with Creative. Moreover, you should realize that the use of the upper case
FULL in your email is like SCREAMING and only serves to
further anger me.

p.s. As a matter of courtesy, why not at least be up front about your lack
of interest in Windows 7 beta by posting some sort of disclaimer on your
website.

------------------------------------------
Don Snodgrass
Final Touch Web Design
5 Woodhaven Estates
Metropolis, IL 62960
618-524-7590

[email protected]
www.k4qky.com

------------------------------------------

good email its good that you actualy sent an email to them i apreciate your effort.

oh well ima have to do without quadraphonic sound in my music will th end of this year or so.

let us know if u get a reply fro your latter email. I will be very interesting to see what they have to say about it. Its a good job u hit then nail on the head rather than sugercoat it. nice job!

i know for sure that i wil leave creative all together on my next build. dont know who il turn too for my next sound card.

Back
Top Bottom