Windows 7 XP device is not set up to accept connections on port "The File and printer sharing (SMB)".

yosiel

I have followed several of the reccomendations to no avail. i have Linksys Router. 2 win7, 1 vista and one xp. XP sees network. Win7's and Vista does not see XP. Cannot ping XP by ip or name. When i go on win 7 to network sharing, see full map, i get error and this is the diagnostic "" oldt40 (xp pro device) is not setup to accept connections on port the file & printing sharing (smb). there is no 3rd part virus protection on xp. i had spybot and removed that. i do have microsoft essentials. please help if u can. Thanks

yosiel:
Hello and welcome to the forums.
On the XP machine hold down the windows key and strike the "r" key
in the run box type ncpa.cpl and hit enter
right click your network adapter and choose properties
In the "Connect Using" box make sure that
Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks are both checked.
Make sure Internet Protocol is checked (If IPv6 is present, you can uncheck that for now)
Hightligh / select Internet Protocol (version 4) and click the properties button
Make sure both IP addressing and DNS addressing are both set to Automatic for now
Then click the advanced button
Select the WINS tab and make sure that "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP is selected
OK your way back out of there and type
services.msc into the run box and hit enter
Make sure the following three services are started and set to automatic
Server service
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service
Workstation service
Reboot
If the problem persists
type ncpa.cpl into the run box and hit enter
right click your network adapter and choose properties
Select the advanced tab and then the settings button then the exceptions tab
Make sure "File and Printer Sharing" is checked, then select it and select the "Edit" button
Make sure the following four protocols and ports are present and checked
TCP 139
TCP 445
UDP 137
UDP 138
And all four have a scope of "Subnet"
OK your way back out of there and reboot.

no change. unchecked ipv6, added enable netbios over tcp.. everything else asis

Cannot ping XP by ip or name.
If you still cannot ping the XP machine minimally by IP address this would suggest that some filtering is being done by some hardware or software present on you network or on the XP machine itself.
So once more back into the properties of your network adapter, select the advanced tab and then the settings button and then the advanced tab,
You should see, near the middle of the resultant dialog box a frame titled ICMP, click the settings button there and make sure that there is a check in the box that says allow incoming echo request packets.
OK your way back out of there and reboot.
If still no joy, then you need to consider what type of software products have been installed on the XP machine. I know you said that you are only using MSE (and I can pretty much promise that MSE is not responsible for this at all) but we have often chased these types of issues only to find that a member had, take your pick (AVG, Norton/Symantec, McAfee, Comodo, ZoneAlarm, etc.) previously installed on the computer and had uninstalled it or them by using the control panel applet but had failed to use the vendor specific proprietary uninstaller and consequently there were still remnants of the product left behind resulting in similar if not exactly the same problems as you are experiencing.
So if in the past (XP is almost 10 years old) you have had one or more of these products installed you might want to consider googling for their removal tool just to see if there are parts and pieces left that may be causing these headaches.

Back
Top Bottom