Windows 7 XP mode in Win7

Coolboy

I am planning to build a new rig and enpower it with Windows 7 , professional version .

I know that Windows 7 provides a WinXP mode to users, which can be ran seamlessly in Win7's VHD. Microsoft also provides a pre-built WinXP image [ WindowsXPMode_xxx.exe ] to users . However, can i replace that XP image by my existing WinXP image that was created by Ghost 9 and was already sysprep and containing many useful applications , so that i don't need to re-install everything ?

Is it possible & how ?

Coolboy

I am planning to build a new rig and enpower it with Windows 7 , professional version .

I know that Windows 7 provides a WinXP mode to users, which can be ran seamlessly in Win7's VHD. Microsoft also provides a pre-built WinXP image [ WindowsXPMode_xxx.exe ] to users . However, can i replace that XP image by my existing WinXP image that was created by Ghost 9 and was already sysprep and containing many useful applications , so that i don't need to re-install everything ?

Is it possible & how ?

Coolboy

I haven't used XP mode in a while but you could do it with another VM like Virtualbox which has the same integration as XP mode, it's actually better IMO. VMWare can do it too as far as I'm aware.

Here is a link I just found showing how it can be done with Virtual PC.

Virtualization

If you want native XP virtualization in Windows 7, make sure your processor supports it. Not all Intel and AMD processors support it. I have 4 computers in my house and NONE of these processors support virtualization.

Also, VHD images in Windows 7 are supposed to be .wim files created by ImageX and Microsoft's Automated Installation Kit. I doubt that a .gho Ghost image is compatible.

Xpm

Thanks for replying

What i mean is :
i build a VHD under Win7 , and then restore the Ghost image to it so that i can run my every applications at once . Would it be work ?

coolboy

Only if the ghost is on a bootable dvd or drive or something.
You will need to boot the VHD to the DVD and run a restore from there

Here is the caveat...... not all drives get sized the same.... you can sometimes reimage from a smaller drive to a larger one,,, but sometimes that image will fail... You can always try it.
You can not go from a larger drive to a smaller one... so you would need to create a blank VHD and then set it to boot from a DVD so you can run the image to it. hope that makes since.

As far as I know........
The image of XP for XP mode,,, is not different than any other image,.... it's just an image.
So,, the whole Integration I think in 7 is available no matter which VHD you use.

Tepid

thanks for your help.

I would surely buy a 1T or 2T Hard-disk for my new machine , so i don't worry about that .

But i actually don't know howto boot the VHD to my DVD . Can you explain in details ?

Coolboy

Back
Top Bottom